The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Gudbranson to FLA for 1st Round Pick

Rush17

Trade  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Jb stated he felt McCann was going to be a top 6 player. He said that’s why it was hard to trade him. If we hung on to him he’d be on our roster right now and we likely wouldn’t have signed burmy or gagner. He put up 5 points in 8 games this year before getting injured. 

Also that second we gave up. jb stated that dahlen was the guy they were interested in and that’s why he targeted him in the burrows trade. 

well thats a heck of a lot of good GM-ing then isn't it to get both Guddy and Dahlen? 

Of course JB wouldn't say anything negative about McCann. But he hasn't shown yet that he can be a top 6 player. Maybe he will, but so far no, he's not in that group. 

I prefer not to trade him, but I would only trade Gudbranson back to Florida for a top-15 pick or better offer. There is some very good talent this year especially on defence. Could leave the draft with two bluechip defensemen, then sign a UFA RHD to fill the hole. That said, it would be hard to replace both the minutes played in defensive situations and the physicality of Gudbranson. A lot of fans think we can just sign a depth 6th/7th defenseman for physicality, but when do depth defensemen go up against premier offensive players like McDavid, Crosby, or Ovechkin? Apart from the All-Star game, when would John Scott play against Crosby? Plus, we'd be asking a lot out of Tanev and Stecher for 5v5 minutes.

18 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I prefer not to trade him, but I would only trade Gudbranson back to Florida for a top-15 pick or better offer. There is some very good talent this year especially on defence. Could leave the draft with two bluechip defensemen, then sign a UFA RHD to fill the hole. That said, it would be hard to replace both the minutes played in defensive situations and the physicality of Gudbranson. A lot of fans think we can just sign a depth 6th/7th defenseman for physicality, but when do depth defensemen go up against premier offensive players like McDavid, Crosby, or Ovechkin? Apart from the All-Star game, when would John Scott play against Crosby? Plus, we'd be asking a lot out of Tanev and Stecher for 5v5 minutes.

a guy you have at 15 could slide to 24 for all we know .  i feel you though u want value.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

a guy you have at 15 could slide to 24 for all we know .  i feel you though u want value.

The higher the pick the better for me.  Sure, we got Boeser at 23, but JB sweated those picks from about 11 on, just hoping no one would grab Brock.  The higher the pick, the better chance we have of getting our guy.  We got Pettersson at 5, and no way does he make it to 15.  We need to pick top five or higher. 

51 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The higher the pick the better for me.  Sure, we got Boeser at 23, but JB sweated those picks from about 11 on, just hoping no one would grab Brock.  The higher the pick, the better chance we have of getting our guy.  We got Pettersson at 5, and no way does he make it to 15.  We need to pick top five or higher. 

@Rush17 I see what you mean. It's always a gamble though as everyone has different scouting lists. As @Alflives says the higher the pick the better chance we have of getting our guy. Would be tough if Benning was targeting say Bode Wilde but ends up with a lesser defenseman. Benning is pretty good when he gets his man in the early rounds (see: Boeser, Pettersson, Lind, Demko; Juolevi we'll see...).

6 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

@Rush17 I see what you mean. It's always a gamble though as everyone has different scouting lists. As @Alflives says the higher the pick the better chance we have of getting our guy. Would be tough if Benning was targeting say Bode Wilde but ends up with a lesser defenseman. Benning is pretty good when he gets his man in the early rounds (see: Boeser, Pettersson, Lind, Demko; Juolevi we'll see...).

I agree. higher pick is ideal. better chance your guy is there! jim will have a better idea where these players may go come trade deadline time.

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

There is zero reason for a non contending Florida team to trade a 1st round  pick for a pending UFA 4/5 defenceman.  If the rumoured mutual interest is true they can just wait for July 1st.  This  would be like Vancouver moving a 1st for E Kane. 

Unless the Panthers are trying to make the playoffs.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Unless the Panthers are trying to make the playoffs.  

They are currently dead last in the east.  Them making the playoffs isn't likely. Even at this early stage of the season.  Vancouver is closer to making the playoffs than the Panthers. Would you be cool with the Canucks moving a 1st for Kane?

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They are currently dead last in the east.  Them making the playoffs isn't likely. Even at this early stage of the season.  Vancouver is closer to making the playoffs than the Panthers. Would you be cool with the Canucks moving a 1st for Kane?

What about Guddy for E. Kane?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about Guddy for E. Kane?

Kane is near a point per game so far this season. I think they're going to give the full court press to try to re-sign him.  Even if they can't. Kane fits Buffalos needs more right now than Gud does. plus, if he keeps up this production they will get way more at the trade deadline than Gudbranson would bring. 

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

Unfortunately, Gudbranson isn't going to fetch a top 15 draft pick especially in this years draft. 

Gudbranson is a must keep. If contract negotiations start to go sour, and he's asking for a lot, then yeah by all means we trade him and get something out of him. But one of our main priorities should be locking Gudbranson up to a long term contract. I'd be fine with 6 years @ $3.9-4.1 if thats what it takes to sign him.

I can definitely see Gudbranson being an alternate captain for us somewhere in the near future. He's only 25 years old.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

my argument for that.

is Gudbranson is a foundation piece :D 

Evander Kane is an accessory :D

Contrary to what this forum thinks (I know, right because this forum isn't the end all be all of hockey thought)

Gudbranson even as a rental has more value than a mid first.

A 25 year old crease clearing minute munching guy that knocks out teeth and forces forwards to constantly behave in the crease and at the blue line of the type Tallon has all but openly stated he wants back is going to have a ton of value to contending teams.

He's only 25 years old and is Wilie Mitchel with better skating and a mean streak.  

Now I know some of you are ready to release him for a mid second and call it, but while he might not score a ton of points he is exactly the blue line player you want heading in to the post season.  I guarantee if he's available there are 16 post season teams that will inquire about his services for the very same reasons.

But what do I know right.  I am just some guy going against the grain on a hockey forum full of people who day in and day out like to undervalue our assets while contriving to find a way to overpay for the likes of Montour or Domi or the like.

Wake up guys, frigging Reinhart got a glut of picks from Chia pet, Russel got a fortune in return from Calgary and Alzner was one of this off seasons highest paid signings.  GM's overpay every single TDL.  And every single year this forum feasts on itself, convinced in their own belief that they know better than historical fact what players are worth or what GMs will pay

If FLA wants to offer up this years first for Gudbranson so be it.  But They won't.  16 potential other playoff hopefuls sure would like to offer someonthing comparable and better I'd assume though

Archived