The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duterte Schools Trudeau on His War on Drugs

nucklehead

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/filipino-leader-calls-trudeaus-drug-war-comments-insulting/ar-BBEXytj?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he was angered and insulted on Tuesday by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's comments about the Philippine government's war on drugs, which has earned widespread condemnation for leaving thousands of suspects dead.

Trudeau said he raised concerns about human rights abuses and extrajudicial killings in Duterte's anti-drug campaign when he met Tuesday with the president ahead of Canada's summit in the Philippines with the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Trudeau was the first leader of the 20 attending this week's ASEAN summit and related meetings who has publicly said he brought up the touchy issue with the volatile Filipino leader.

"I also mentioned human rights, the rule of law and specifically extrajudicial killings as being an issue that Canada is concerned with," Trudeau said at a news conference. "I impressed on him the need for respect for the rule of law, and as always offered Canada's support and help as a friend to move forward on what is a real challenge."

He said Duterte was receptive to his comments and their exchange was cordial and positive.

But Duterte later told reporters that he had refused to provide an explanation for the killings.

"I said I will not explain. It is a personal and official insult," Duterte said. "It angers me when you are a foreigner, you do not know what exactly is happening in this country. You don't even investigate."

Duterte is highly sensitive to such criticism, and in the past called then U.S. President Barack Obama a "son of a bitch" after the State Department publicly expressed concern over the Philippine anti-drug campaign.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who also attended this week's ASEAN summit, did not publicly take Duterte to task for the drug crackdown. Instead, Trump said he and Duterte "had a great relationship," and avoided questions about whether he raised human rights concerns in a meeting with the Philippine leader.

The White House later said they discussed the Islamic State group, illegal drugs and trade during the 40-minute meeting. Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said human rights came up "briefly" in the context of the Philippines' fight against illegal drugs. She did not say if Trump was critical of Duterte's program. 

Harry Roque, Duterte's spokesman, said there was no mention of human rights or extralegal killings during the meeting with Trump, but there was a lengthy discussion of the Philippines' war on drugs, with Duterte doing most of the explaining.

The two sides later issued a statement saying they "underscored that human rights and the dignity of human life are essential, and agreed to continue mainstreaming the human rights agenda in their national programs."

Show me this schooling again.

I keep looking for it but can't find it.

All I see is a Canadian PM with the balls to call out someone on his home turf over human rights issues while the vaunted leader of the free world couldn't figure out a group hand shake

The subject of a foreign government criticizing the internal workings of another government, pisses me of

Especially when our own government allows...............

Tax evasion, poverty, environmental pollution, political manipulation, sanctioned kills, etc......

We act holier than thou, but to be honest......Tradeau should come home and deal with our own back yard..............

If he is there to negotiate free trade, I am all for it! But, we have to deal with out own minimum wage before we talk smack about other countries problems.

I am all for the odd scud going into a random drug suppliers production plant or a sniper taking out a supply chain........

I don't have any sympathy for those guys.............wire them up to 220 and plug them in

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The subject of a foreign government criticizing the internal workings of another government, pisses me of

Especially when our own government allows...............

Tax evasion, poverty, environmental pollution, political manipulation, sanctioned kills, etc......

We act holier than thou, but to be honest......Tradeau should come home and deal with our own back yard..............

If he is there to negotiate free trade, I am all for it! But, we have to deal with out own minimum wage before we talk smack about other countries problems.

I am all for the odd scud going into a random drug suppliers production plant or a sniper taking out a supply chain........

I don't have any sympathy for those guys.............wire them up to 220 and plug them in

Hmm, you rarely see the old "we have our own issues so we should never comment negatively on anything else's issues" argument segue into "besides, kill them all" but there you go.

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hmm, you rarely see the old "we have our own issues so we should never comment negatively on anything else's issues" argument segue into "besides, kill them all" but there you go.

We don’t shoot our druggies, but maybe we are too soft on them?  We give them drug kits at the hospitals, plus they get medical attention at our emergency rooms.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We don’t shoot our druggies, but maybe we are too soft on them?  We give them drug kits at the hospitals, plus they get medical attention at our emergency rooms.

Countries that treat addicts like human beings tend to see better results: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/05/why-hardly-anyone-dies-from-a-drug-overdose-in-portugal/?utm_term=.b0343414a1b5

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We also treat people who get hurt while participating in extreme sports and the guy who wasn't wearing safety goggles while woodworking and ended up taking out an eye. I would hope we treat addicts who come into the emergency room.

35 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

So lets see...............

Canada goes into Iraq as part of the US clean up.........kills, god knows how many civilians, all in the name of freedom............OK, so it's justified........great....but it's not our own backyard.....(PS.......there were no weapon's of mass destruction).............Oh, that was a mistake!

Duterte goes into his own back yard, which he knows, and takes a stand against those that are killing his own people with drugs and probably enough illegal killings to equal what Durerte's legal forces have done, and Canada has a problem with that?

How many people have died of illegal drugs in Canada in the past 12 months, with all of our holier that thou, bleeding heart, do it by the law......politicians, more worried about someone else's same problem, thousands of miles away, than our own!

Oh, yes arrest them, rehabilitate them, in a jail that houses and feeds them better than what we provide the homeless or our veterans................and let them come out and do it all over again!.......well at least Durerte's a realist!

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So lets see...............

Canada goes into Iraq as part of the US clean up.........kills, god knows how many civilians, all in the name of freedom............OK, so it's justified........great....but it's not our own backyard.....(PS.......there were no weapon's of mass destruction).............Oh, that was a mistake!

Duterte goes into his own back yard, which he knows, and takes a stand against those that are killing his own people with drugs and probably enough illegal killings to equal what Durerte's legal forces have done, and Canada has a problem with that?

How many people have died of illegal drugs in Canada in the past 12 months, with all of our holier that thou, bleeding heart, do it by the law......politicians, more worried about someone else's same problem, thousands of miles away, than our own!

Oh, yes arrest them, rehabilitate them, in a jail that houses and feeds them better than what we provide the homeless or our veterans................and let them come out and do it all over again!.......well at least Durerte's a realist!

While Canada has in fact been assisting in the fight against ISIS in Iraq for a few years now, we did not invade Iraq with the US coalition in 2003. Next time try reading a text book instead of sleeping on it.

So because there are drug deaths in Canada, we're not allowed to say "Hey, it's messed up how you're executing thousands of your own people without trial?". What the hell is wrong with you?

We absolutely could do better in regards to our homeless and veterans but there is some middle ground between that, helping addicts and killing them. It's not one or the other. You are aware it's possible to be a homeless, drug addicted veteran, right? Or did that just blow your myopic little mind? 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

While Canada has in fact been assisting in the fight against ISIS in Iraq for a few years now, we did not invade Iraq with the US coalition in 2003. So I'm not sure what you're going on about.

I had a buddy that was over there fly helicopter.......you believe everything you read? Same with Afghanistan....you think there is a difference........

So because there are drug deaths in Canada, we're not allowed to say "Hey, it's messed up how you're executing thousands of your own people without trial?". What the hell is wrong with you?

Well, not if you don't have any credibility.......we are messed up here too !

You know it's possible to be a homeless, drug addicted veteran, right? Or did that just blow your myopic little mind?

I am not talking about the addicts.....only the sellers and suppliers...............

Do you realize the chain reaction.............the supplier and producers  cause?

1. there is the addict

2. there is the crime to feed the addict

3. then you have the overloaded hospitals and Emergency services

4. then you have the policing

5. Then you have the deaths and the direct cause and effect that causes on the families

6 then you have the counselling

7. then you have the soup kitchens because they are spending their money on drugs and don't eat

8. then you have the turf wars and associated policing

9. then you have the courts

10. then you have the jails

11. then you have to feed, house and cloth them

and on, and on, and on

How much do you think all that costs? Shoot enough suppliers and middle men at 10 cents a bullet

and you can treat our addicts, homeless, mentally ill, and all our other social problems, and probably still have coin left over

How is that for blowing my little myopic mind!

In a war, you have a ratio of acceptable casualties in your own force...............well this is a war

You my friend are choosing.......evil over good

I say cancel out the evil and we can do more good! In Canada we treat the symptom, not the cause! And yet we lecture another country?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Too soft on drug addicts and many other forms of unhealthy lifestyles, like heavy drinkers, smokers, people who eat fast food often etc.  Are you advocating to deny healthcare to people who make bad choices?  If we are going to do that I want people who are addicted to fast food, alcoholics and smokers added to the list.  For the record, I don't want any of that at all, I just hate it when people target "drug addicts" as a general type of person.  You can either have or not-have socialized healthcare.  You don't get to choose who gets it.  The drug kits are a reaction to an unprecedented drug introduced to our society by scumbags.  If you want to target someone, maybe change your scope from the destitute, piteous souls bouncing their way along rock bottom....many of which are severely mentally ill or compromised, to the producers and importer/exporters of the drugs in this global epidemic.

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I had a buddy that was over there fly helicopter.......you believe everything you read? Same with Afghanistan....you think there is a difference........

Well, not if you don't have any credibility.......we are messed up here too !

I am not talking about the addicts.....only the sellers and suppliers...............

Do you realize the chain reaction.............the supplier and producers  cause?

1. there is the addict

2. there is the crime to feed the addict

3. then you have the overloaded hospitals and Emergency services

4. then you have the policing

5. Then you have the deaths and the direct cause and effect that causes on the families

6 then you have the counselling

7. then you have the soup kitchens because they are spending their money on drugs and don't eat

8. then you have the turf wars and associated policing

9. then you have the courts

10. then you have the jails

11. then you have to feed, house and cloth them

and on, and on, and on

How much do you think all that costs? Shoot enough suppliers and middle men at 10 cents a bullet

and you can treat our addicts, homeless, mentally ill, and all our other social problems, and probably still have coin left over

How is that for blowing my little myopic mind!

In a war, you have a ratio of acceptable casualties in your own force...............well this is a war

You my friend are choosing.......evil over good

I say cancel out the evil and we can do more good! In Canada we treat the symptom, not the cause! And yet we lecture another country?

Oh, damn. You're just nuts and think we should be killing people carte blanche here. Okay, cool. I get it now. Good day to you.

2 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Too soft on drug addicts and many other forms of unhealthy lifestyles, like heavy drinkers, smokers, people who eat fast food often etc.  Are you advocating to deny healthcare to people who make bad choices?  If we are going to do that I want people who are addicted to fast food, alcoholics and smokers added to the list.  For the record, I don't want any of that at all, I just hate it when people target "drug addicts" as a general type of person.  You can either have or not-have socialized healthcare.  You don't get to choose who gets it.  The drug kits are a reaction to an unprecedented drug introduced to our society by scumbags.  If you want to target someone, maybe change your scope from the destitute, piteous souls bouncing their way along rock bottom....many of which are severely mentally ill or compromised, to the producers and importer/exporters of the drugs in this global epidemic.

I hope Alf didn't mean shoot the druggies.......I think he over simplified..........I think he meant shoot the suppliers

I don't think there is anyone that doesn't support social programs...................but if there was less drugs, there would be less addicts, therefore less overdoses.....

Archived