The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duterte Schools Trudeau on His War on Drugs

nucklehead

1 minute ago, smokes said:

So Trudeau going up to the guy and saying "You know, I don't like what you are doing to the people in your country" is actually going to do something?

Well it's certainly better then staying silent isn't it? The world has stayed silent in the past and in many cases it led to genocides.

Btw I don't like Trudeau at all.

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

You're right he isn't. But at some point Canada is going to start coming off as that "Nagging Aunt"

It's funny you speak of freedoms in China these days well wouldn't you know Chretien was the first Western leader to speak to the Chinese in China about human rights and freedom. I'm not saying it's all because of Chretien but my point is little things can help to change for the better.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well it's certainly better then staying silent isn't it? The world has stayed silent in the past and in many cases it led to genocides.

Btw I don't like Trudeau at all.

So talking to the guy about it is going to make him stop? Did it work?

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's funny you speak of freedoms in China these days well wouldn't you know Chretien was the first Western leader to speak to the Chinese in China about human rights and freedom. I'm not saying it's all because of Chretien but my point is little things can help to change for the better.

It wasn't Chretien.

7 hours ago, smokes said:

So talking to the guy about it is going to make him stop? Did it work?

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's been what a week?

It's also a start. Few people expect the words of one political leader from the other side of the world to have a profound effect on a guy like Duerte. However, JT's actions just might get the ball rolling. Maybe someone like Macron says something next, then maybe Merkel, then Abe, then May (or whomever ultimately replaces her) and who knows, maybe even someone as morally bankrupt as Trump.

The point is, Trudeau is following his conscience on this issue and he's taking the lead. A lot of people respect those qualities in a PM.

58 minutes ago, smokes said:

Are you so egotistical to believe that just because the Canadian Prime Minister said something another country is going to take that as gold and follow? Seriously?

Nope not at all. You said the first Western leader wasn't Chretien, I told. You he was. Do some research.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope not at all. You said the first Western leader wasn't Chretien, I told. You he was. Do some research.

No, I said whatever the Prime Minister of Canada said to a leader from the other side of the world had no impact whatsoever in the outcome of history.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's also a start. Few people expect the words of one political leader from the other side of the world to have a profound effect on a guy like Duerte. However, JT's actions just might get the ball rolling. Maybe someone like Macron says something next, then maybe Merkel, then Abe, then May (or whomever ultimately replaces her) and who knows, maybe even someone as morally bankrupt as Trump.

The point is, Trudeau is following his conscience on this issue and he's taking the lead. A lot of people respect those qualities in a PM.

My whole point is that yes there are differences in ideologies between countries but does that mean the regular people need to suffer for it as well because of a political stance in human rights that we stand for? What about the regular folks that had no part of the human rights violations? Do thay lose a chance to make money because of a political stance that Canadians must stand for? Canada right now does not have the population to sustain itself without global economies getting involved. The Phillippines could equate to a good stable source of income to the people who benefit from any important trade agreements the two leaders make. So if let's say JT put aside the human rights issue and just focus on building a good relationship and sign a bunch of good economic agreements, the regular people can benefit more than from a I'm going to tell you off because I don't agree with what you are doing and we won't stand for it position. Let the UN handle human rights, it's what they are there for. Plus I am sure that all the leaders from other countries including JT in a UN conference is a message louder than JT by himself in an Asian Summit.

19 minutes ago, smokes said:

No, I said whatever the Prime Minister of Canada said to a leader from the other side of the world had no impact whatsoever in the outcome of history.

Maybe it didn't but maybe it helped. Keep in mind opposition parties felt he was to mild when speaking to China about human rights abuses.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Maybe it didn't but maybe it helped. Keep in mind opposition parties felt he was to mild when speaking to China about human rights abuses.

I loved Chretien because he solidified Canada as a peacekeeping country that was respected. Maybe it helped maybe it didn't. The problem now is that when you travel around the world with a Canadian passport is not as respected as it was before. When you traveled in the Chretien days, people would be like "ah your Canadian, What a great country." now it's like "Meh, your Canadian."  I've lives in China for a while now and the thing is from what I have seen in everyday life in the city, the human rights abuses that happened over a generation ago is not really happening now. The lifestyles of the Chinese in the city are definately not as restricted as you might think it is just because of the Communist title. When you consider the fact that China sends more international students than anyother countries. To countries that have "freedom" How restrictive can they actually be?

44 minutes ago, smokes said:

I loved Chretien because he solidified Canada as a peacekeeping country that was respected. Maybe it helped maybe it didn't. The problem now is that when you travel around the world with a Canadian passport is not as respected as it was before. When you traveled in the Chretien days, people would be like "ah your Canadian, What a great country." now it's like "Meh, your Canadian."  I've lives in China for a while now and the thing is from what I have seen in everyday life in the city, the human rights abuses that happened over a generation ago is not really happening now. The lifestyles of the Chinese in the city are definately not as restricted as you might think it is just because of the Communist title. When you consider the fact that China sends more international students than anyother countries. To countries that have "freedom" How restrictive can they actually be?

My point is staying silent about atrocities is not a solution imo.

7 hours ago, smokes said:

My whole point is that yes there are differences in ideologies between countries but does that mean the regular people need to suffer for it as well because of a political stance in human rights that we stand for? What about the regular folks that had no part of the human rights violations? Do thay lose a chance to make money because of a political stance that Canadians must stand for? Canada right now does not have the population to sustain itself without global economies getting involved. The Phillippines could equate to a good stable source of income to the people who benefit from any important trade agreements the two leaders make. So if let's say JT put aside the human rights issue and just focus on building a good relationship and sign a bunch of good economic agreements, the regular people can benefit more than from a I'm going to tell you off because I don't agree with what you are doing and we won't stand for it position. Let the UN handle human rights, it's what they are there for. Plus I am sure that all the leaders from other countries including JT in a UN conference is a message louder than JT by himself in an Asian Summit.

Where are you getting this? Trudeau made a political statement. No-one is "suffering" because of it, with the possible exception of Duerte's pride.

There's an old saying about mountains and molehills. You should look it up....

"When you consider the fact that China sends more international students than anyother countries. To countries that have "freedom" How restrictive can they actually be? "

China has a massive population is it any wonder they have a lot of foreign students?

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

"When you consider the fact that China sends more international students than anyother countries. To countries that have "freedom" How restrictive can they actually be? "

China has a massive population is it any wonder they have a lot of foreign students?

That makes total sense, but what's wrong with the schools in China then?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see any student from anywhere wanting to go to Eaton and places like that, but why leave China (home) to go to school in places like Surrey, for example?  

Well likely because even Surrey is better then China. China still has people starving and living with out electricity. The news only likes to show the industrialized cities.

Archived