The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duterte Schools Trudeau on His War on Drugs

nucklehead

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Well likely because even Surrey is better then China. China still has people starving and living with out electricity. The nrws only likes to show the industrialized cities.

Wouldn't a family able to afford foreign school be wealthy though?  Aren't there private schools for the wealthy elite in China?  

39 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Where are you getting this? Trudeau made a political statement. No-one is "suffering" because of it, with the possible exception of Duerte's pride.

There's an old saying about mountains and molehills. You should look it up....

So hurting Duerte's pride is going to help sign trade agreements? From what I have seen of Duerte, he has shown to be a narcissistic loudmouth who responds through emotion. If that is the case and JT is like "I don't like the way you are killing all these people. Now, let's talk about trade." I just can't see it happening. As of result trade suffers and so do the people who it could have benefitted from. 

I don't disagree that political statements need to be made but there is also a time for business talk as well where you don't talk about your differences and focus on what you can co-operate on. The UN is the place to make the political statements, JT should have purely focused on the economy during this trip. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well likely because even Surrey is better then China. China still has people starving and living with out electricity. The news only likes to show the industrialized cities.

There are people starving and living without electricity on the downtown east side of Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

There are people starving and living without electricity on the downtown east side of Vancouver.

Sure but nothing even close to the starving with out electricity in China. China isn't even a developed country.

"China is not a developed country. Despite having the world's second-largest economy and third-largest military, China is still not classified as a developed country. The biggest reason: Its per capita GDP remains below any accepted minimum threshold for developed-countrystatus."

6 minutes ago, smokes said:

So hurting Duerte's pride is going to help sign trade agreements? From what I have seen of Duerte, he has shown to be a narcissistic loudmouth who responds through emotion. If that is the case and JT is like "I don't like the way you are killing all these people. Now, let's talk about trade." I just can't see it happening. As of result trade suffers and so do the people who it could have benefitted from. 

I don't disagree that political statements need to be made but there is also a time for business talk as well where you don't talk about your differences and focus on what you can co-operate on. The UN is the place to make the political statements, JT should have purely focused on the economy during this trip. 

I didn't say that it would. AFAIK, no-one has said that the Philippines are one of the countries they are negotiating with. But hey, by all means, continue jumping to conclusions.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That makes total sense, but what's wrong with the schools in China then?  

Most Chinese students are great at reading and writing English, but if you ask them to speak it then you will get nothing. Since China is all Chinese the chances of practicing spoken English is simply regulated to the classroom since everyone speaks Chinese. When the students go abroad, they are not really there for the schooling but more for the environment. Chinese students see abroad as a place to force them to improve thier spoken English.

11 minutes ago, smokes said:

News flash Canada doesn't need the Philippines and furthermore somtimes doing the right thing is more important than money.

On November 14, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Ryan Strome said:

I believe Trudeau said Canada was willing to help?

Btw I'm not supporting or defending Trudeau I'm pointing out what a PM of Canada should be doing.

Should we have stayed silent in Germany? Yugoslavia? Libya? Rwanda? Etc all crimes against humanity and Canada will always call it out and takes action in many cases.

I'm not suggesting intervening in wars but Canada must respond to genocides and mass killings.

I found an interesting story today.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-s-peacekeeping-commitment-affects-possible-un-security-council-bid-1.3682975

36 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Oh ya I forgot there was an announcement on a new peace keeping mission. I guess it didn't happen just announced how many troops and equipment. I sure hope Trudeau stays away from Mali. France can deal with that mess.

On November 14, 2017 at 5:43 PM, bishopshodan said:

It's actually a long sighted comment . Things would be bad at first and gradually get better over time.

Distribution would be by certified and licensed producers. The idea is to take the money out of the criminals hands and generate it for addiction support, healthcare and most of all education. Again, so that people would make better choices

People are going to do drugs. They wont stop. I believe it would help if we learned at a very young age what dangers go along with what substances. Just try ridiculing anyone about that massive killer alcohol, many will laugh at you cause its an accepted habit of our society. Time for personal responsibility. 

There is some contradiction in those two sentences.

Lot of money has been invested in drug prevention programs, and things seem to be getting worse.

I don't think that you will be able to take money out of criminals hands.

Since you mentioned alcohol, last year 72 people died in Irkutsk from counterfeit booze.

Moonshine industry is huge in India as well, where thousands have died from counterfeit booze.

Massive number of deaths in Czech Republic, Estonia etc.

My question is why would you risk buying black market hooch, when you can walk to the store and buy the real thing?

Simple reason is cost, if government gets involved it will get pricey and people will resort to drug dealers.

Sure the wealthy in Kits or Yaletown, will be able to buy pure high quality stuff.

DTES residents on the other hands, I highly doubt they would be able to afford it.

About 20-25 years ago, in Vienna you could bring X pills to get tested, to make sure they were "real" and pure.

Sure, rich Austrian kids going to raves would be safer, I highly doubt anyone would do "quality control" in a ghetto.

What we are doing right now is not working, but straight up legalization seems even worse idea,

Archived