The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Los Angeles Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Delzotto had a tough outing but Biega bailed him out a few times.  Gaunce a physical presence out there will get a confidence boost playing shut down against top line at crunch time.  

Granny needs to get off the schneid.  Then we will have something on that third line.  Get Virtanen back in there somewhere Travis!

That hit by Biega!

I think sit Granny for Virtanen for a game to wake him up.

59 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol is that the standard for beastly stats? Less than .5 ppg?

Evan Mceneny must be a &^@#ing legend then. Give him a spot in the hof now lol.

Offense isn't his role, wiseguy. He's there to bring defensive play and a physical force.

With that in mind, getting around .5 ppg and a +8 despite being in the box regularly is quite impressive. Would not surprise me at all for Pedan to end up a decent #6/7 D.

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Imagine Benning picked him instead. How great would this young D core look. I wanted Juolevi as well. He looked so good at the time. But Serachev is a beast. 

I wanted both. Was really hoping we'd make a move for another top 10 pick but that likely would have cost Tanev +/-.

Losing Tanev would have sucked but a future team with both OJ and Sergachev... might have been worth it. 

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That hit by Biega!

I think sit Granny for Virtanen for a game to wake him up.

In fairness to Granlund, he's been playing a shutdown role (and quite well). While some additional offense would certainly be nice, he's still playing very well and contributing to team success. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

In fairness to Granlund, he's been playing a shutdown role (and quite well). While some additional offense would certainly be nice, he's still playing very well and contributing to team success. 

True but we're going to need his goals down the line sooner or later.Maybe on the power play.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Offense isn't his role, wiseguy. He's there to bring defensive play and a physical force.

With that in mind, getting around .5 ppg and a +8 despite being in the box regularly is quite impressive. Would not surprise me at all for Pedan to end up a decent #6/7 D.

Then what beastly stats are you posting?

His 18 mins in minor penalties? How exactly does tripping and hooking help a team?

Also don't forget the team he's playing on. 10 wins only 2 losses 2nd in the AHL. 4th most goals for. 

Considering Tom sestitio has 6pts in 12 games I'd say that they are both a product of the team around them.

8 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Without doubt the most bipolar team ive ever supported. Look like bush league last two games....on fire today!!!!

Did you watch either game?

Strange how even the Sharks Coach said he felt the 5-0 didn't reflect the game and he was glad to win ugly. Their goalie stood on his head.

I'm sick of people looking at the score or the highlights and making up the rest from their imagination.

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

pedan  won  canucks fastest skater  at skills comp 2 yrs ago what are you talking about 

I get that and Gudbranson is one of the fastest skaters by the drill.  Fastest skater though is one acceleration, followed by gliding and maintaining speed around the ice.  Not really all that analogous to the game of hockey particularly on D.  Most hockey is short accelerations and cuts.  When a guy looks slow out there it is usually because of the pivot and first couple steps.  Bigger guys like Gudbranson and Pedan often struggle with that part because of good old fashion physics, so they make up for it with reach.  This is why when OJ put on so much weight he started getting walked, he found the pivot and acceleration a lot harder.  This is why it irks me when people just think putting on weight is all prospects need.

Now that size is useful in giving, absorbing hits and clearing the net.  Good big D usually also have a very good stick and positioning to make up for that lack of an explosive pivot or first step.  It is the rare player that can put together size and that kind of explosiveness. 

That was a performance full of character. To come from 2 down like that and proceed to dominate a team like LA for most of the remainder of the game was vindication for the coach and signs that we have our pressing game back on song.

I didn't think anyone played badly but was impressed by Pouliot, Biega, Edler Loui, Brock, Bo and Baertschi.

Gaunce was steady but I want to see him being more physical and hogging the puck more.

7 hours ago, khay said:

Only got to catch the second period. It stuck out to me that the Sedins with Eriksson were pretty good. Controlling the puck in the offensive zone and contributing a goal.

It seems like Eriksson's defensive game and his understanding of the Sedins's game make the trio a very effective second line. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

He is still in the AHL and always will be.  Pouliot is collecting points and playing games in the NHL.  I know Pedan goes BOOM and then goes BOOM BOOM, but he isn't really a hockey player.  A physical athlete that's it.

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Did you watch either game?

Strange how even the Sharks Coach said he felt the 5-0 didn't reflect the game and he was glad to win ugly. Their goalie stood on his head.

I'm sick of people looking at the score or the highlights and making up the rest from their imagination.

This is so the problem with most people.  They come and post and don't actually watch games.  For exmpale Loui is always getting roasted.  He has drawn 3 penalities! has one assist and 8 shots while playing excellent defensive hockey and killing penalties.  I mean he looks great in the last two games.  If he can keep this up, I really don't care all that much how many points he gets.  He is definitely making the team better and helping it win.  In my mind he has been the best forward since he came back.  The Sedins also look better with him.  He is more intuitive in the offensive zone, and they have more chemistry together.  If they can play like that against LA, they will be fine this year.

Edler was also very solid.  But they are the reason we loose and never the reason we win. 

I actually wasn't impressed with the game.  Yes, we got the win and carried the play for about 2/3 of the game, but overall I felt the team lacked energy and perhaps it was the Kings who didn't come out to play as much as it was our guys playing well.

Yes, we did generate some decent chances and it was great to see the Sedins and Eriksson actually do something out there, as well as seeing Pouliot finally get a couple of helpers.  There were certainly positives, but this effort didn't gain me any confidence and could easily have gone against us.

So again, nice to get the win especially after a rather revolting California road swing, but we need to pick it up if we don't want to be sub .500 soon.  That whole trip the team looked generally slow, tired, and lacking intensity.  The players have commented on how intense the practices are and I wonder if that is catching up with them already...

Archived