The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks talking to Montreal? - *warning - Eklund*

Podz92

3 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Doesn't even make sense. The Canucks are not looking for a player like Galchenyuk. He doesn't fill any of our current needs and is struggling as it is in Montreal. No thanks.

Yup, don't need him and Habs need scoring as it is.  We have other young forwards pushing for roster spots soon as well.  Makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Doesn't even make sense. The Canucks are not looking for a player like Galchenyuk. He doesn't fill any of our current needs and is struggling as it is in Montreal. No thanks.

Biggest fish arriving by trade so far has been Guddy? Most other trades have been value buys.

Benning has made a habit of buying low on guys not living up to headlines.

Pouliot, cough Vey, Granlund, Baertschi

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Biggest fish arriving by trade so far has been Guddy? Most other trades have been value buys.

Benning has made a habit of buying low on guys not living up to headlines.

Pouliot, cough Vey, Granlund, Baertschi

Apart from Vey, I agree that Bennings trades for low value players who have turned it around has worked out great for us however its always been to fill a need on the team. We picked up Baertschi and Granlund as we were weak up front then, this year we needed a PMD and filled that with Pouliot. I just don't see where Galchenyuk fits into our lineup currently and believe that the asking price will still be fairly high from Montreal.

Bergevin is in trouble over there and needs to hit a homerun with his next trade/move or he'll be looking for a new job before the end of the year.  

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eklund rumours can't be counted on, but it is an interesting idea.

Hutton and Goldobin for Galchenyuk?

Galchenyuk - Horvat - Boeser

looks good

I like Goldobin, don't want to get rid of a nice prospect.
How about Hutton, Baertschi and say a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

But yeah, this would make no sense for Montreal. I think the question is whether there is a trade out there that would make sense for the Canadiens? All they have are good players not worth moving and depth players not worth much in a trade.

Who do the Canucks have at LW that could be on the top 2 lines going forward? Baertschi and Virtanen? Is Granlund a 2nd liner? I'm not sure. There's also Evander Kane, who would be a good improvement at LW. The team will lose the Sedins, Gagner and Vanek in the next year or two, and I don't see Burmistrov and Rodin sticking around. It might be a couple of years before Dahlen, Gaudette and Lind join the team full time.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

_______ - Pettersson - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Gaudette - Dorsett

Dahlen

Goldobin

Lind

I really don't see the point in adding Galchenyuk unless Benning plans on unloading Vanek early maybe, but that isn't how he is going to maximize the return.  We already have a logjam of forwards and in a couple of years we are going to have a new bunch of middle 6 forwards coming through the system.  Unless he improves, I feel Galchenyuk is a 2nd line player at best and we just don't need more 2nd and 3rd line guys at all.

Additionally, I don't think Hutton is worth a heck of a lot to other teams and would imagine we'd have to contribute more along with Hutton to get a guy like Galchenyuk - doghouse or not.

IMO what we should be targeting is a defenseman with top pairing potential.  Maybe package of Galchenyuk plus Juulsen, and give up Hutton, Goldobin and a third?

I think Eklund has a dartboard with every NHL team on it.  Then every mourning he googles 'random nhl player' puts that name on a dart and see's where it lands.  Today the dart was named Galchenyuk and it landed on 6, aka Vancouver.

Possible LWers

Galchenyuk (6'1" 207) - 23 years old, produces between 45 and 55 points a season.

Kane (6'2" 212) - 26 years old, produces between 35 and 45 points a season, although, he is on pace for 82 points this year.

Canucks #1LW

Baertschi (5'11" 192) - 25 years old, produces between 25 and 35 points a season

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Possible LWers

Galchenyuk (6'1" 207) - 23 years old, produces between 45 and 55 points a season.

Kane (6'2" 212) - 26 years old, produces between 35 and 45 points a season, although, he is on pace for 82 points this year.

Canucks #1LW

Baertschi (5'11" 192) - 25 years old, produces between 25 and 35 points a season

Exactly. We're short on LW, which is why I don't really get why people are saying targeting Galchenyuk "makes no sense".

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Possible LWers

Canucks #1LW

Isn’t Sven on pace for around 60 points this year and was on pace for over 40 last year? Way to down-play him though :rolleyes:

Big, Young, skilled and stuck in stifling system.  Love the reclamation projects especially with such a high end potential.

Makes no sense for Montreal though they do need blue liners.  If it is Hutton and prospect (obviously EP/OJ/KL exempt) than great as long as not also giving up high end draft picks.  

Bergeron is just bad enough as a GM that this may seem plausible.

4 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

Isn’t Sven on pace for around 60 points this year and was on pace for over 40 last year? Way to down-play him though :rolleyes:

Okay, he is on pace for 50-60 points, but he hasn't gotten there yet, ever. His highest points were last year (35). I guess we'll see if he hits 60 this year.

Archived