Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - WPG

Noble 6

To WPG:

Hutton 

3rd 2019

To VAN:

Roslovic

Winnipeg gets a decent left-handed defensman, which they need. Adding Hutton still leaves them with about 5 million in cap space for this year and about 19 million to re-sign Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck and some other depth players. Winnipeg has a solid group of young players such as Connor, Harkins, Vesalainen and their young players already in the NHL. They can afford to give up Roslovic with Laine, Wheeler, Scheiffle and Little as right-handed centers and wingers. The 3rd is an added bonus, not necessarily a required piece. 

Vancouver get's a solid forward prospect who could be a top-6 player. Roslovic could emerge as a decent 2C behind Horvat and compliment him as a right-handed player. He's already slightly over a point-per-game in the AHL as a 20 year old. We lose Hutton, but that gives an oppurtunity to guys like Pouliot. We would still have Edler, Pouliot and Del Zotto on the left side with Wiercoch and McEneny for depth along with Juolevi possibly stepping in next year. Our forward core starts to round out as well:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Roslovic - Lind

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - _________ - Lockwood

Of course, this is the absolute best case projection. It won't end up like this, but this is just a guess. 

Thoughts?

His profile on db says he's a right handed shot?

If it's true, then he could probably play the left side, and we're pretty short there. After Dahlen and Gadge it's slim pickins. 

Making this deal could give us a little more insurance in the C/LW department (depending on whether Pettersson ends up as a center or winger).

The value seems about right too (unless I'm missing something). Solid proposal B)

So we trade Hutton, Edler refuses to waive his NTC and continues to be in/out of the line-up due to injury, and at any given time in the season two of Tanev, Quads and/or Stech are also hurt - sounds like a recipe for disaster in the making! 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

So we trade Hutton, Edler refuses to waive his NTC and continues to be in/out of the line-up due to injury, and at any given time in the season two of Tanev, Quads and/or Stech are also hurt - sounds like a recipe for disaster in the making! 

Or, another top-5 pick? :^)

btw..interesting Prop, OP

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Roslovic - Lind

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - _________ - Lockwood

This is a decent looking lineup.  (Even if I still think Horvat is unlikely to gett so much better that he should remain our 1st line center) 

But why rebuild the team?  Somehow, you conveniently eliminated about 3/4 of our existing forward lineup.  Where did they go?  One could assume we won't have all our existing forward group in a couple of years but we should at least have a good portion of it.  Even if all those guys simply walked after their contract was up, in a couple of years we're still going to have Eriksson Sutter and Gagner under contract.

I think this proves a good point though.  We have so much forward depth that we actually CAN make a new team by only retaining a quarter of our existing team.  As such, why is it you feel we need yet another middle six player?

59 minutes ago, kloubek said:

This is a decent looking lineup.  (Even if I still think Horvat is unlikely to gett so much better that he should remain our 1st line center) 

But why rebuild the team?  Somehow, you conveniently eliminated about 3/4 of our existing forward lineup.  Where did they go?  One could assume we won't have all our existing forward group in a couple of years but we should at least have a good portion of it.  Even if all those guys simply walked after their contract was up, in a couple of years we're still going to have Eriksson Sutter and Gagner under contract.

I think this proves a good point though.  We have so much forward depth that we actually CAN make a new team by only retaining a quarter of our existing team.  As such, why is it you feel we need yet another middle six player?

Thaf lineup was more projection based as opposed to a prediction. For example, I had Dahlen on the 2nd line. That means I think he could be a 2nd line-ish caliber forward. That doesn't mean that he'll play on the second line in real life as he'll have other guys to go through. It pretty much is just a representation of how could our young forwards could be if they all reached their potential. Guys like Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner, etc. will still be here for a while. 

Also, I had Horvat as a 1st line center between Pettersson and Boeser. I think those wingers, especially Pettersson, could elevate Horvat to a 1C. Horvat would be the big, strong, two-way presence on that line and open up space for his wingers to do damage. 

Edit: I also forgot about Goldobin. He could slot in as a middle-6 scoring forward at some point. 

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Our depth is still pretty good on defense:

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Stetcher

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Wiercoch - Biega

McEneny

Obviously with injuries it gets worse, but losing Hutton doesn't make or break anything. Pouliot could have an oppurtunity in the top-6 to establish himself. We could bring up Wiercoch and ease the veteran problem in Utica. McEneny could come up for a stints throughout the year. We would still have a solid amount of options. 

And even if it doesn't work out for us, we only help our chances at Dahlin and landing in a good spot at the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thaf lineup was more projection based as opposed to a prediction. For example, I had Dahlen on the 2nd line. That means I think he could be a 2nd line-ish caliber forward. That doesn't mean that he'll play on the second line in real life as he'll have other guys to go through. It pretty much is just a representation of how could our young forwards could be if they all reached their potential. Guys like Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner, etc. will still be here for a while. 

Also, I had Horvat as a 1st line center between Pettersson and Boeser. I think those wingers, especially Pettersson, could elevate Horvat to a 1C. Horvat would be the big, strong, two-way presence on that line and open up space for his wingers to do damage. 

Edit: I also forgot about Goldobin. He could slot in as a middle-6 scoring forward at some point. 

Fair enough.  But this thread is about acquiring another forward, which looks just fine if you are going to blow up the current team but in real life (as we are), we simply don't need another forward of a middle-six caliber.  I think for the most part you are pretty accurate with your predictions, which only solidifies that point.  If anything, we are going to end up sellers of our talent.  I actually really hope so, since that gives us trading fodder to acquire any missing pieces.

Some fair points that Horvat may be elevated with better wingers.  (Boeser is still there but we can assume he will get even better with experience).  I suppose it is indeed possible.  Let's face it - Baertschi for all his improvement is not exactly the kind of player who is going to push anybody's stats through the roof.  Since it is generally agreed this is going to be Horvat's team, it would be ideal if he could indeed reach #1 center status.

If the Jets find a taker for the aging Enstrom I hope Jim pounces (if a deal like this is ever tabled). 
Jack looks like a solid prospect and the team could use a young right-handed center.  As OP said, we don't necessarily need him with Pouliot, MDZ and Juolevi. 

With Toby gone, Morrissey and Kulikov with Hutton would be a solid young D-group.  Not sure if the Jets would need Jack though.

Could be a win for both teams?  then again I don't know if the Jets have another upstart LHD prospect they want to bring in which could make this point moot.

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If the Jets find a taker for the aging Enstrom I hope Jim pounces (if a deal like this is ever tabled). 
Jack looks like a solid prospect and the team could use a young right-handed center.  As OP said, we don't necessarily need him with Pouliot, MDZ and Juolevi. 

With Toby gone, Morrissey and Kulikov with Hutton would be a solid young D-group.  Not sure if the Jets would need Jack though.

Could be a win for both teams?  then again I don't know if the Jets have another upstart LHD prospect they want to bring in which could make this point moot.

That's a good point about Enstrom. If we had the cap space, we could take his contract back along with a pick, or we just keep our 3rd. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to do that. 

If the Jets retained 50% of Enstrom's salary we could take him back. If they retained on Enstrom and took on Hutton's cap hit, they would actually save 100,000 in cap space. His contract is up at the end of the year, so it doesn't affect any of their plans beyond this season. They currently aren't retaining salary on anybody, so they have the ability to make it work. 

I think it could be added to my original proposal.

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Any particular reason why you downvoted me?

I disagree with this being a fair proposal. And any trade offer including that dreaded +3rd should be tossed in the trash. I didn't realize votes mattered so much to you. It's a message board on the internet. I will take it back if you care that much. 

On 16/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, zzbottom said:

Ben Hutton has been on a downward trend since his rookie season. 

I would agree with this comment if I'm looking at his offensive stats.  Considering he's been playing big mins this year, I was surprised to see that he is a +5.

I would prefer the Nucks hang onto him for a bit and see how his game pans out.  I think he may be a good option for an Edler replacement, when the time comes.

Roslovic looks very promising and appears to be carrying the Moose on his back.  With Pettersson and Gaudette coming along, I really don't see a need for a 2C (or a RW, what with Boes, Lind and JV).

Archived