The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minister of Public Safety announces $327.6 million to fight gangs and gun violence

-Vintage Canuck-

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale in Surrey, announcing funding to fight gangs and gun crimes across Canada:

Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale announced the federal government will spend $327.6 million over five years on anti-gang initiatives and gun crime crackdown.

He said his government is "ramping up" to spending $100 million annually.

The announcement was made in Surrey — a city that has been plagued by gang violence — on Friday morning. 

Goodale says that money will help cut down on gun crime and criminal activity, and will support communities, law enforcement and border operations.

He also announced Ottawa will be convening a national guns and gangs summit next spring, that will bring together experts, front line personnel and decision makers. 

During the announcement Goodale called the gang situation "deeply troubling."

"The problem does really stretch, in one way or another, across the country. But there are areas where the risk is more intense," he said.

"Communities like Surrey which have historically had a very significant challenge in this regard will be a priority in, as well as other hotspots across the country."

Goodale did not elaborate on the specifics of the funding, but said it will go towards training, research on how to dislodge people from gangs and reinforcing interdiction at the border.

Goodale also said some funding might be assigned to special projects in rural communities 

"The nature of this beast is constantly changing, so you need to be nimble, you need to be flexible."

The event was also attended by Liberal MP Joyce Murray, who made the announcement in French.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/minister-of-public-safety-announces-327-6-million-to-fight-gangs-and-gun-violence-1.4406860

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kind of a sad commentary on Surrey's gang violence and gun play (I think) for this announcement to take place there.  Good we are spending the money, but maybe we need to provide these young people with jobs, before they turn to gangs?    

I think it's a hard cycle to break.  I think the gang lifestyle appeals to youths because of peer influence (typically parents are no longer #1 in kids lives @ age 11, right?), to an adolescent it can appear to be exhilarating/sexy world, and gives a sense of family/brotherhood for those who don't get it elsewhere.  But how do you repair broken homes/people?  Social & cultural grass roots programs I suppose but those take years and may not improve it.

Typical government action. Targeting the symptoms of the problem, not the root cause. The root cause is that there is a lot power and a high reward in the illegal drug trade. Remove that reward and power and you will see this problem go away. Make all drugs legal, educate people properly on them and regulate them.

8 minutes ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

I think it's a hard cycle to break.  I think the gang lifestyle appeals to youths because of peer influence (typically parents are no longer #1 in kids lives @ age 11, right?), to an adolescent it can appear to be exhilarating/sexy world, and gives a sense of family/brotherhood for those who don't get it elsewhere.  But how do you repair broken homes/people?  Social & cultural grass roots programs I suppose but those take years and may not improve it.

You make some really good points.  We do live in a very materialistic society, where people want things that provide (in their minds) status, and want them quickly.  We really need to change peoples' mind sets about what is important: family, friends, honesty, etc.   

I get the feeling they'll be putting more rules and regulations targeting LEGAL gun owners.  

I never quite understand why gangbangers aren't thrown the book at.  I mean... just think of punks doing a drive-by.... that's already illegally possessing a restricted/prohibited firearm, probably using an illegal high-capacity magazine, transporting of firearm without proper ATT, possessing firearm without a valid R/PAL, discharging a weapon in a non-designated area, improper storage of a firearm.... those, not even including the charges of attempted murder and so on.... would ruin the live of the average citizen.  

If I violated just one of those above, I doubt the court would show me any leniency.  

I have an adult family member who had all of the opportunity in the world to get work, good paying honest work. But as a late teenager he dropped out of high school, left home and decided to join a gang, as he was promised a life of money and respect from his "friends". He wanted the quick and easy way to become wealthy, and respected/feared. I'm not sure offering a minimum wage job would entice young gang members to live an honest decent life. He's not afraid of jail,  as he's been there. He's even been shot (he was very lucky), and yet he still lives the lifestyle. I think all of the brains went to his sibling. Lock 'em all up I say, and release everyone busted for weed possession, as that is not the problem. Fentanyl can kill hundreds (mass murder). Anyone caught dealing this stuff should get life. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kind of a sad commentary on Surrey's gang violence and gun play (I think) for this announcement to take place there.  Good we are spending the money, but maybe we need to provide these young people with jobs, before they turn to gangs?    

They don't want jobs

they "wannabe gangsters".

get rid of them all.

all the politicians are pos  turning our country into a police state hate that. Cops screw people over to make their quotas  no serving the people  its more like do this or else we will harass your human rights. Politicians and  cops in canada are corrupt as they come.   Funny how they get away with murdering that polish guy at airport sickens me to the core

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

#BrokenBC

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I get the feeling they'll be putting more rules and regulations targeting LEGAL gun owners.  

I never quite understand why gangbangers aren't thrown the book at.  I mean... just think of punks doing a drive-by.... that's already illegally possessing a restricted/prohibited firearm, probably using an illegal high-capacity magazine, transporting of firearm without proper ATT, possessing firearm without a valid R/PAL, discharging a weapon in a non-designated area, improper storage of a firearm.... those, not even including the charges of attempted murder and so on.... would ruin the live of the average citizen.  

If I violated just one of those above, I doubt the court would show me any leniency.  

It's not just the gangbangers, Canada in general, is very soft on crime.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

Politicians and  ops in canada are corrupt as they come. 

That’s an incredibly naive statement for a guy who’s travelled so much. I won’t even comment on the rest of your post as it’s the usual ignorant crap you spew at any actual or perceived opportunity.

Archived