The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank you Henrik and Daniel (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Just some random thoughts about Hank and Danny

What a year it must be for Daniel and Henrik. What a career! (Singular on purpose!)

We can't imagine what could be going through their heads, as they tape their sticks or tighten their skates for their 18th season.

The drive, the respect, the integrity, the records...........the honor! ( I am sure that is how they see it!)

Drafted 2nd and 3rd in 1999 at the age of 19.......imagine 19 years of age! (That was the draft age back then)

Staying one more year in Sweden, before coming to Vancouver, we could hardly wait to see these 2 Swedish phenomenon's 

It was a quieter time, with less information, and less scouting, but Vancouver was abuzz, having waited for one whole year to see these players.

Back then, they looked so young, such red hair and for the first 4 years, we seen them learn the pro game, gradually building from the year before

You could always see their talent, glimpses in the first year, flashes in the next few years, then exploding in the 2005 - 2006 season (Or so we thought!)

But it got better, and in 2009 - 2010 and 2010 - 2011 seasons, having scored over 100 + points.........we witnessed true Sedinery

They were magic, and defencemen could not figure out how to defend against them, and defensive forwards were left spinning in the corners, as the puck entered the net.

They were fantastic, and Sports TV could not get enough of them........."We could not get enough of them!"

They were tough and took a pounding, and for many years, played just about every game of the year, without injury

And the Opposition, although always respectful of their talents, took them for granted, looking for cracks in their armour......Something, that you just never seen........

Gloves in the face, slough foots, cross checks to the head, boarding, slashes.....they just got up, and usually scored on the resulting power play

They were "Professionals" to the bone!

They were just friggin amazing, and I for one feel the better for having had them here for all these years.

Now, in the twilight of their careers, they must have some soul searching days, wondering, remembering, trying with every breath to lead, to shoot, or back-check

Never known for being fast skaters, they sure had the other skills in spades, and you don't have to back-check when you have the puck...that is for sure!

Now giving way to younger players.....who quite honestly do not have even remotely the same skill level, must be a funny feeling for these 2 puck wizards

But true to their form, they continue to be the true "professionals" they are.

We should take the time to remember their greatness, and throw a little respect their way. After all, we will never have those moments back, once they retire.

This only scratches the surface on what they have given, both to the club, to the community and me......

I played hockey through them, and they brought my family together to watch them on TV every game......I can't begin to tell you how many conversations I had with my Dad over their mastery of the puck.

I don't know when their last game will be, whether it is at the end of this year, or a season or 2 from now, but I hope Danny scores a hat-trick and Henrik assists on all 3 of them...that would be fitting end! They have be fun to watch!

They certainly have my respect.

I think I have something in my eye.

Thanks for that janisahockeynut.   I think that there are two ways we look at the team. Mostly its through the x's and o's and how effective certain players are to the team, regardless of age, or past skill levels. The Wally Buono way of what have you done for me lately. I do it. And I probably still will. Personally I am shocked at such a rapid decline and its easy to simply look at them as cogs slowing down the wheels. Easy to overlook what a great journey they have been on with us. They've also raise their children here. And they've given us their best years as hockey players, without complaint, whining, holding out, and this year they have gracefully accepted reduced minutes. Its good to be reminded of that, thanks.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Drafted 2nd and 3rd in 1999 at the age of 19.......imagine 19 years of age! (That was the draft age back then)

The draft took place on june 26th 1999. Dan and Hank turned 19 three months later on September 26th 1999.

The nhl entry draft has been at a 18 year age minimum since it began in 1979.

It's never been a better time to be talented women. JK. I don't want to shimmy much further into that rabbit hole. Because Daniel and Henrik were already down there at the bottom in the playoffs, amirite? 

So JK. The Sedins had scary chemistry on the ice during many stretches. It was, to borrow a phrase from the Attitude Era, poetry in motion. Best players in Franchise history. Not the most exciting, not the most talented, but the best. Happy they will reach a grand each. 

The day these two play their last game will be an emotional one. I've been watching the Canucks since the mid 80's and there's no doubt in my mind that the best decade of Canucks hockey featured the West Coast Express and the Sedins. There was a time when we were so good that we were hated, and it was them at the helm. I hope they announce their intentions before the off season so they can get a sendoff befitting of their past. I'd like to see them have what Linden had, and as far as I'm concerned Gino Odjick is the only other player likely to receive a louder ovation for stepping onto the ice for one more, one last, game. 

Even Trevor Linden was scratched 23 games in his final year, and while I don't expect Green to sit the Twins for 20 games this season I suppose anything is possible. In the meantime, it would be nice if those calling for the likes of dime a dozen players or undercooked prospects to replace them would shut up about it.

13 hours ago, Green Building said:

The day these two play their last game will be an emotional one. I've been watching the Canucks since the mid 80's and there's no doubt in my mind that the best decade of Canucks hockey featured the West Coast Express and the Sedins. There was a time when we were so good that we were hated, and it was them at the helm. I hope they announce their intentions before the off season so they can get a sendoff befitting of their past. I'd like to see them have what Linden had, and as far as I'm concerned Gino Odjick is the only other player likely to receive a louder ovation for stepping onto the ice for one more, one last, game. 

Even Trevor Linden was scratched 23 games in his final year, and while I don't expect Green to sit the Twins for 20 games this season I suppose anything is possible. In the meantime, it would be nice if those calling for the likes of dime a dozen players or undercooked prospects to replace them would shut up about it.

Those 23 scratches were hard to watch.  And he still had a bit more game left in him than Vigneault wanted to give him credit for.  One of my best Linden memories is when he was the only forward killing an entire 5-on-3 that year and he kept coming back to the ice from huddles on the bench during stoppages to kill the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Those 23 scratches were hard to watch.  And he still had a bit more game left in him than Vigneault wanted to give him credit for.  One of my best Linden memories is when he was the only forward killing an entire 5-on-3 and he kept coming back to the ice from huddles on the bench during stoppages to kill the whole thing.

It was like watching a hero die a slow death, but despite the loss, despite Byron Ritchie getting the lone Canuck goal, despite Iginla getting to 50 that night, his last game was great. It's too bad we collectively won't be bothered to learn a Viking Clap as that would be a cool way to have the Twins exit.

I'm not crying, you're crying.....

@janisahockeynutwhat a brilliant way to put it... I freacking love you man.... in a manly maner :). I often wonder, how they must feel, as everything that came so easy to them suddenly doesn't, and it must hurt them badly.

@Green BuildingAgree 100% would love for the Canucks family to be able to say good bye properly towards the end of the season. A viking clap would not only be a cool way to say good bye, it would be the perfect way.

6 hours ago, coryberg said:

The draft took place on june 26th 1999. Dan and Hank turned 19 three months later on September 26th 1999.

The nhl entry draft has been at a 18 year age minimum since it began in 1979.

You bet, down from twenty which was the norm when guys like Potvin were drafted.  Linesman sued them and won, stating if he was old enough to vote and get drafted, he should be able to earn a living in the WHA or the NHL doing what he knew he could ( which he proved he could as a rookie).  This was the biggest reason the WHA was finally absorbed or basically bought out by the NHL, they couldn't stand by and watch the future superstars (Gretzky) get pouched in a draft that allowed them as 18 year olds.   Barrasso won the Vezina and Calder as an 18 year old coming out of a high school circuit and the rest is history.  

As per the article, nice piece on the Sedins, an amazing legacy they have created all in the Canucks uniform, from the end of the WCE years right through the present.

It's crazy to think I saw them playing in their rookie season 18 years ago.  The funny part is they haven't really slowed down much at least not in those clips.  They've always kind of played a slow game.  I wonder if the pace they are expected to play at now might be counter productive for their style of play.  Glad to see them have a nice career and I look forward to watching them one day enter the HHOF.  

If the player can possess the puck then speed really doesn't matter as much, after all that player has the puck and more control over the game.

The Sedins will get more ice time as the season progresses because they can still control the play, when they have the puck and the present team has no other players that can keep the puck so long.

Speed doesn't mean "great" and while size does matter more, balance is bigger.

I am sure the Sedins will be back at least one more year as there is really no one to replace them, there is no consistent secondary threats on the team.

Taking into account the expiration of the CBA, likely in September 2020, then I am sure they will sign for the 2018-2019 season.

Once they are gone there will be a huge hole to be filled.

i agree, they deserve our respect. i hated the way they were treated for so many years. fans thought it was funny to call them sisters. in years to come, seeing their names hanging from the rafters, should give us a sense of pride in knowing their careers and their lives. we'll forget how we treated them and won't remember their decline. they will just be our heroes, along with smyl, naslund, bure and linden. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet, down from twenty which was the norm when guys like Potvin were drafted.  Linesman sued them and won, stating if he was old enough to vote and get drafted, he should be able to earn a living in the WHA or the NHL doing what he knew he could ( which he proved he could as a rookie).  This was the biggest reason the WHA was finally absorbed or basically bought out by the NHL, they couldn't stand by and watch the future superstars (Gretzky) get pouched in a draft that allowed them as 18 year olds.   Barrasso won the Vezina and Calder as an 18 year old coming out of a high school circuit and the rest is history.  

As per the article, nice piece on the Sedins, an amazing legacy they have created all in the Canucks uniform, from the end of the WCE years right through the present.

Thanks for correcting me on that......I should have done a little more research

But yeah, as much as we would like the draft age to move up, legally speaking, I am not sure they could do it? Not when tested in the courts. I wonder?

Thanks for the support for the article, but it was actually Apollo that inspired me, as I had made a negative comment and after he kept his faith towards the Sedin's, I started thinking how much they actually had given us, and that my dad and spent those countless hours in debate around the TV......

It is truly amazing to see how many kids and adults have their jerseys............do you think they are loved? lol

When I stop and think about it, which was what I was expressing, they really have had awesome careers!

Not that Hank and Danny are old, but it kind of reminds me how we take our veterans (older people) for granted, never having seen them in their prime........I am sure if we had watched them over their lives, we also would also be impressed!

Archived