The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'll certainly be disappointed.  Return to Canuck players being pushed around and pounded into the boards.  Remember that?

When have you seen that happen this year?  Guys are playing with confidence.  Guddy keeping the opposition in line.  Like Hansen said 'Guddy has everyone playing bigger'.

Except there is no evidence of this.  You don’t see him getting into faces or punishing guys on a regular basis.  He isn’t scaring anyone.

One of our leading goal scorers Dorsett however is filling that role.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Except there is literally no evidence of this.  You don’t see him getting into faces or punishing guys.

He doesn't have to.  Just his presence on the ice does the trick.  Remember Lucic's reaction in the Edm game?  Not too many tough guys want to go at it with Guddy.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except there is literally no evidence of this.  You don’t see him getting into faces or punishing guys.

With us Guddy plays that way, and he's in the penalty box.  That's why the Leafs want him.  They know that he could play nasty and dirty - mean on their team, and no penalties would be given to him.  

A 25 yr old Gudbranson is a huge part of the core, pun definitely intended. Even if the Canucks take five years to get back to par, Gudbranson is still 30 years old then. Gudbranson should be part of the future of the Vancouver Canucks.

This one year deal was just to make sure the dude can stay healthy and have a good year. He should be re-signed.

3 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Wow the overrating of Guddy is hilarious. He was worth what, Mccaan and a second two years ago? Why would be worth any of Nylander or Marner straight up? He has one year left? I love what he brings he just doesn’t have that kind of trade value. 

No kidding.  

Reading some if these proposals are super cringe.

Gudbranson isn't worth even a Lock of Nylanders golden hair.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Except there is no evidence of this.  You don’t see him getting into faces or punishing guys on a regular basis.  He isn’t scaring anyone.

You know what's scarier than the guy making a bunch of 'noise' to keep you in line and on your toes? The guy that rarely has to do anything beyond being on the ice, that's what.

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You know what's scarier than the guy making a bunch of 'noise' to keep you in line and on your toes? The guy that rarely has to do anything beyond being on the ice, that's what.

Exactly, the toughest guys don't have to fight to keep rats on other teams in line. Their mere presence alone will stop teams from taking liberties. There is a reason that Ryan Reaves only fought 6 times last year.....nobody wants to fight him so the opposing teams behave themselves when he is out there.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Exactly, the toughest guys don't have to fight to keep rats on other teams in line. Their mere presence alone will stop teams from taking liberties. There is a reason that Ryan Reaves only fought 6 times last year.....nobody wants to fight him so the opposing teams behave themselves when he is out there.

6 is still pretty significant. Gudbranson has only averaged 2 fights a season over the last 4 years. He's tough, no one is arguing that. But I feel like there's a group of posters on here that think he's the incredible hulk or something. Kevin Bieksa was a much better fighter IMO and that didn't exactly stop anyone from pushing around the Sedins. 

The league is changing. There's less and less focus on physical play. The Sedins (our most pushed around players are playing less) and our team is getting physically stronger with age, not to mention smarter. This to me has more of an affect than Gudbranson. 

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

6 is still pretty significant. Gudbranson has only averaged 2 fights a season over the last 4 years. He's tough, no one is arguing that. But I feel like there's a group of posters on here that think he's the incredible hulk or something. Kevin Bieksa was a much better fighter IMO and that didn't exactly stop anyone from pushing around the Sedins. 

The league is changing. There's less and less focus on physical play. The Sedins (our most pushed around players are playing less) and our team is getting physically stronger with age, not to mention smarter. This to me has more of an affect than Gudbranson. 

Bieksa was (is) not the deterrent that Guddy is.  That said, neither play with the Twins.  Plus, the instigator rule allows guys to NOT fight.  It’s a good rule protecting guys from getting jumped.  It’s a bad rule, because it allows the rats to run around and attack star players without fear of retribution.  Soon enough our game will be a lot more like football, where players try to injure one another with horrific (but legal) hits.  Rosters will need to be expanded to accommodate for all the injuries.  

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Gudbranson has 2 fights in 19 games this season. That works out to 9 in 82 games.

KB3 was a good middleweight fighter but would get throttled by guddy

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

As a Canuck he is on pace for 8.6 fights this year. He had 2 fights as a Canuck last year in 30  games or a pace for 5.4 fights over an 82 game season. By your own admission you state that 6 is pretty significant so I believe his toughness is serving us well.

I don't believe he is an incredible hulk or anything but he is the only guy we have that can possibly stand up to the league's best pugilists and thugs. I don't particularly care if we have Gudbranson performing this role for us but someone has to on this team. If not him, then someone else needs to be acquired.

I agree that Bieksa is a better fighter within his own weight class and I have all the respect in the world for him as he stood up for teammates. However, I don't think Kevin would be the same deterrent to the other rats like a Gudbranson would. Boston got away with pushing around the Sedins as Marchand knew he could run and hide behind their deterrent, Chara. He made the Bruin players play bigger than they were similar to how you are alluding to the Canucks now being "physically stronger".

There are many on here that complained bitterly about the Canucks' lack of push back against the Bruins in 2011 and the more recent playoff loss to Calgary. Seems to me that if we are going to rectify that we are going to need a physical presence of our own to make them think twice. If not Gudbranson, who?

38 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Bieksa would get ragdolled by Guddy. Not even the superman punch would save Bieksa and I loved boom boom. Guddy on another level, I wish him and Lucic would give it a go. 

4 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Bieksa would get ragdolled by Guddy. Not even the superman punch would save Bieksa and I loved boom boom. Guddy on another level, I wish him and Lucic would give it a go. 

Size isn't everything. We saw what Rypien could do. Look at Guddy when he fought someone his own size last year in Matt Martin. Nothing about that fight screamed "deterrent". Lucic would tune Gudbranson up.

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

i would agree with that except players still take advantage of our guy's when hes not on the ice. he needs to make his presence known through hits or scrums after the whisle if he wants to keep them honest. 

to many players this season have already taken to many liberties against our guys. dorsett is good for energy buf he wont scare any heavyweights.

guddy needs to be much more to have that impact. if he lets teammates get walked on it will continue.  fighting is everything i agree.

Archived