The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling is outscoring our D

Ray_Cathode

It was Forsling for Clendening straight up which is even more of a head scratcher. Even at the time, Adam was having trouble breaking into the Blackhawks while Forsling was coming out of an excellent WJC.

The way Gustav moves around and distributes the puck is beyond his years. At least people around here admit it was a bad trade. 

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

a 5th round pick selected by jb

clearly the rest of the nhl passed on this guy at least 4x each

he was drafted and traded at a time when the view of smaller mobile dmen really was not yet flushed out

the trade made sense at the time given the needs of the canucks for youth who were somewhat developed

like another has said, hindsight is always 20 20

few complained much about this trade when it was made

i believe the canucks subsequently also snagged stanton from the hawks as they had to many young dmen

and tried to sneak him through waivers

stanton contributed to the canucks for a season or so as well

Look at the trade thread. Many people were perplexed and disappointed with the trade at the time.

This was one of those instances where hindsight, despite what many think, doesn't come into play. Benning wanted to accelerate the rebuild and traded a young guy with upside for a guy in the age range he wanted. Didn't work out. 

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't know about all that, I don't watch him play enough but if that's true then that sucks we got rid of him.

Ya but Benning was trying to make the team better. 

I really hate how people who defend Benning to death will puke out some rubbish that is suppose to make you feel guilty for questioning a trade in which the man in question was completely crumpled and stomped on for making a absolutely brutal talent assessment or lack there of. 

He is one of the worst defensemen that has ever suited up for a Canuck regular season game in at least the last decade. 

That age gap Gillis left him would have been a great excuse to TRADE VETERANS for draft picks or these prized reclamation projects that he loves burning picks on. 

16 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

I really hate how people who defend Benning to death will puke out some rubbish that is suppose to make you feel guilty for questioning a trade in which the man in question was completely crumpled and stomped on for making a absolutely brutal talent assessment or lack there of. 

He is one of the worst defensemen that has ever suited up for a Canuck regular season game in at least the last decade. 

That age gap Gillis left him would have been a great excuse to TRADE VETERANS for draft picks or these prized reclamation projects that he loves burning picks on. 

I don't know.  I dump on Benning about a lot of things but this trade isn't one of them, but like I said I haven't seen much of Forsling.  

4 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Circumstance, Gillis left JB with no depth and we were running into injuries if I remember correctly. Things are also easier to analyze in hindsight ^_^

Gillis was a lawyer falling into the same category as Car Salesmen, Politicians, Real Estate parasites and the Sham-WoW guy.  Need anymore be said!

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Another classic example of hindsight is 20/20.

Forsling was a great pick, but he was a 5th rounder. Clendenning at the time was producing in the AHL and was thought to be a more known entity. We also needed a depth defenceman that might contribute on a Canucks roster, with the possibility of further development.

It turned out that Clendenning was not that great of a skater and he was ultimately given up.

How does a GM not realize a high profile prospect like Clendenning was a bad skater? I bet you after the 1st 2 games of watching a potato hold a hockey stick he started going back and watching a pile of film on him and was like OMG what have I done. It’s not even his speed. He is also completely brain dead. 

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I was looking at the prospect points tracker all the way down at the bottom, and noticed:

If Forsling ( Gillis pick, I believe) could transfer himself and his points to Vancouver, he would be our highest scoring defenceman  at 2g 5a in 17 games compared to Del Zotto at 1g and 6a in 20 games played.  Apparently, he was traded for, along with a 2nd round pick, for Adam Clendenning and Brandon Sutter, in order to get rid of a guy who went on to win two Stanley Cup rings.

In PPG, Jarred McCann with 2g 3a in 8 games, would be our second highest scoring C.  Thankfully, Benning is better at drafting that at evaluating NHL talent.

if it makes you feel any better Forsling would probably score less if he was part of our D group. 

9 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Bad trade but it's hard to have hated it at the time. I mean Forsling was at that point just drafted with a 5th round pick and was sold high after a good WJC. Its not like he was touted as some blue chip prospect.

exactly. Plus I'm not going to plotz over a guy projected to score 4 goals and 33 points. 

Is this supposed to be the next Corrado? 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

exactly. Plus I'm not going to plotz over a guy projected to score 4 goals and 33 points. 

Is this supposed to be the next Corrado? 

What does Gudbranson’s projected point totals look like? Could I judge him with such a projection? If your assessment of Forsling is based on how many points he is projecting to score this season fresh off puberty. You are either using some kind of anti-traumatic coping mechanism to hide your inner pain. Or you have simply never seen him play and you have no idea what you are taking about.  

2 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

What does Gudbranson’s projected point totals look like? Could I judge him with such a projection? If your assessment of Forsling is based on how many points he is projecting to score this season fresh off puberty. You are either using some kind of anti-traumatic coping mechanism to hide your inner pain. Or you have simply never seen him play and you have no idea what you are taking about.  

u funny. 

wait.... LaBamba? 

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I was looking at the prospect points tracker all the way down at the bottom, and noticed:

If Forsling ( Gillis pick, I believe) could transfer himself and his points to Vancouver, he would be our highest scoring defenceman  at 2g 5a in 17 games compared to Del Zotto at 1g and 6a in 20 games played.  Apparently, he was traded for, along with a 2nd round pick, for Adam Clendenning and Brandon Sutter, in order to get rid of a guy who went on to win two Stanley Cup rings.

In PPG, Jarred McCann with 2g 3a in 8 games, would be our second highest scoring C.  Thankfully, Benning is better at drafting that at evaluating NHL talent.

Well, I heard that the trade was for a package which included a 1st OA pick (McDavid). I could be wrong on this, but then it's easier to just say things and let someone else do the fact checking for accuracy.  :)

regards,  G.

Pattern with JB has been; amateur scout Great, pro scout not so much.

This deal was probably a good part of the reason they totally rejigged the pro scouting department this year.  That and the number of under performing pros they have traded for.  Baertschi and Granlund came from a group that were well known from amateur days but prior to the big shuffle this year, pros they have traded for have been pretty underwhelming.

7 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

If Benning was so bad at talent assessment then Forsling would never have been drafted in the fifth round in the first place.

Archived