The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling is outscoring our D

Ray_Cathode

You can't make these comparison...Forsbling is playing with a contender.  With the Canucks he would probably have 2 points.

Look at Mikhael Sergachev, he's outscoring every MTL players.  If MTL had kept Sergachev instead of Drouin do you really think he would be leading them in points?  No, he's just playing with a crazy offensive team right now.

Forsling witll barely ever be a top 4, the only reason he's got a job is because chicago needs cheap option on the backend.  They won't keep him once his ELC is over

ya getting rid of this guy was a sacrifice in order to get players who could play "now".  but almost were guaranteed to have a lower ceiling.

sometimes you don't need the player with the most upside, you just need a player who can fill a position now.

of course - it didn't work out, this was part of the whole "we don't have to rebuild" mantra that used to come out of the management team. 

at least its not a cam neely type mistake!  (although easily could have been)  look on the bright side!

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If you watch Forsling play for CHICAGO with Seabrook/Keith/Rutta under a championship calibre team with future hall of fame coach Joel Quenville managed by hockey legends the Bowmans he looks like a STUD

But if you put him in vancouver with Alex Edler....

Circumstances are everything.

11 months ago Anton Rodin was a point per game player penciled in to our top 6 by quite a few people, now he's an injured waiver cast off.

Hindsight is everything that circumstances don't give you

He looks better than Keith and Seabrook and Rutta. He been Arguably their best defenseman on a team that has great Dman.. Rodin NEVER looked good in the NHL. You clearly have not watched him play at all to be making such ignorant comments. The kid stands out as the best among the best. He's used on both the PP and PK as often as Keith, even more some nights. He plays 20-25 minutes a night, the only Dman who plays slightly more is Keith. So you're right he is on a team full of all stars and he looks better than the all stars. You've an all star coach who is playing him just as much as Duncan Keith who is arguably the best Dman in the league. Joel Quenville is using the 21 year old as his number 2 dman. 

This has nothing to do with "circumstances". He is legit. We traded away a number 1 Dman for a plug because we wanted to "retool". 

5 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Oh cmon.....

For every Forsling trade there's two great trades that have worked in our favour!

(Granlund and Baertschi say hi) 

People act like Grandlund and Baertschi are equivalent to the Nazi army finding the arc of the covenant. We probably have 8 Granlund’s developing in our system. A player of his caliber already marinated in playoff experience is available every July 1st for +/- 1M/yr. Baertschi is a Mason Raymond type serviceable SUPPORT player that is also not a impossible asset to obtain on any given July 1st and his potential equivalent is available in every round of every draft. These players are not franchise defining pieces. Their numbers will never be honoured in a pregame ceremony so stop acting like Benning is some type of Alchemist. 

23 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He looks better than Keith and Seabrook and Rutta. He been Arguably their best defenseman on a team that has great Dman.. Rodin NEVER looked good in the NHL. You clearly have not watched him play at all to be making such ignorant comments. The kid stands out as the best among the best. He's used on both the PP and PK as often as Keith, even more some nights. He plays 20-25 minutes a night, the only Dman who plays slightly more is Keith. So you're right he is on a team full of all stars and he looks better than the all stars. You've an all star coach who is playing him just as much as Duncan Keith who is arguably the best Dman in the league. Joel Quenville is using the 21 year old as his number 2 dman. 

This has nothing to do with "circumstances". He is legit. We traded away a number 1 Dman for a plug because we wanted to "retool". 

Excuse me?

How are my comments ignorant.

NOTHING I have said is in fact untrue.  Does Sergachev look that good in MTL right now?  No he doesn't.  Different circumstances. 

You're proclaiming Forsling as being better than any of our D men watching him play along some of the most gifted defencemen in the league.  I HAVE in fact watched him and I have watched him commit some brutal turn overs, I have watched him get very sheltered time and zone starts by Quenville.  I have also watched him protected by Seabrook numerous times as well as covered by Rutta when paired together.  His average time on ice I might add has only breached the 20 minute mark 7 times this season.

He is legit.  Something you're basing off of less than 60 NHL games played.

Now who is ignorant?  Give your head a shake and stop whining about a trade that at the time looked good.  Looked DAMNED good.  Forsling would NOT look that well here in vancouver period.  I don't think anyone can credibly argue otherwise.  It happened it's done get over it.  He may or may not be in fact legit.  But after not even 60 NHL games I think you're laughably jumping the gun on that.  I dare say even Bartkowski or Weber would look good next to keith/Seabrook though.

But hey that's just my ignorance speaking I guess 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Excuse me?

NOTHING I have said is in fact untrue.  Does Sergachev look that good in MTL right now?  No he doesn't.  Different circumstances. 

You're proclaiming Forsling as being better than any of our D men watching him play along some of the most gifted defencemen in the league.  I HAVE in fact watched him and I have watched him commit some brutal turn overs, I have watched him get very sheltered time and zone starts by Quenville.  I have also watched him protected by Seabrook numerous times as well as covered by Rutta when paired together.  His average time on ice I might add has only breached the 20 minute mark 7 times this season.

Now who is ignorant?  Give your head a shake and stop whining about a trade that at the time looked good.  Looked DAMNED good.  Forsling would NOT look that well here in vancouver period.  I don't think anyone can credibly argue otherwise.  It happened it's done get over it.  He may or may not be in fact legit.  But after not even 60 NHL games I think you're laughably jumping the gun on that.  I dare say even Bartkowski or Weber would look good next to keith/Seabrook though.

peaches5 is a bit of a spaz. I predict that they'll come back with some banal comment about your post count......in 5....4.....3....2..

4 hours ago, smokes said:

If Benning was so bad at talent assessment then Forsling would never have been drafted in the fifth round in the first place.

So you think Benning personally discovered this player on some foggy December night in some hidden mountain valley? Or do you think some scouts did? It’s a 5th round pick man. Someone said pick Forsling and Benning was like “K” 

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Excuse me?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am sure you watched him play 1 game at the beginning of the season. I am actually proclaiming he is better than all of Chicago's defense except Keith, which he is right now. Not only that but you're comparing him to Sergachev who is playing on the best team in the league with the 2 best players in the league, right now, and on top of that Sergachev is primarily offensive. Chicago has been pretty terrible all year long and Keith is a -5. Not only that but Forsling doesn't play with Keith unless on special teams. The only argument you can make is that Keith and Seabrook had a huge impact on how he's developed. Didn't help Clendening, did it?

The trade at the time looked awful. It was oh let's trade away our prospects for a prospect further along that another team doesn't want and hope a change of scenery changes things around so we can skip a rebuild and do a retool. He came here played a few games and it was clear that Clendening was terrible and that there was a good reason that Chicago wanted to get rid of him. We didn't even give Forsling a chance to play. We didn't even get to see what he could do. If we did he wouldn't have been traded.  

EVERYONE knew that a retool wasn't going to work and we needed a rebuild. JB's first years were not good and hopefully he sticks to a REBUILD and keeps drafting and developing our players.

24 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

So you think Benning personally discovered this player on some foggy December night in some hidden mountain valley? Or do you think some scouts did? It’s a 5th round pick man. Someone said pick Forsling and Benning was like “K” 

Yeah, no, cuz Benning has nothing to do with the scouting obviously. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, no, cuz Benning has nothing to do with the scouting obviously. 

Benning at the time said Troy Stecher was a similar player to Forsling and that's why they could afford to lose him. Forsling has considerably more upside than Stecher.

1 hour ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

People act like Grandlund and Baertschi are equivalent to the Nazi army finding the arc of the covenant. We probably have 8 Granlund’s developing in our system. A player of his caliber already marinated in playoff experience is available every July 1st for +/- 1M/yr. Baertschi is a Mason Raymond type serviceable SUPPORT player that is also not a impossible asset to obtain on any given July 1st and his potential equivalent is available in every round of every draft. These players are not franchise defining pieces. Their numbers will never be honoured in a pregame ceremony so stop acting like Benning is some type of Alchemist. 

Stop underappreciating our players. Baertschi has steadily improved and is producing at 0.75pt/g pace. I know we were spoiled by the Sedins and it's easy to look at Stamkos and co.... but 0.75 is an impressive rate for a 1st line winger. 

Granlund is also a gritty, penalty-killing, young and versatile forward who was on pace for 20 goals last year. Shake your head at that if you want, but he's been a great pickup considering Shinkaruk is rotting the AHL.

BTW, if I were you, with only 14 posts on this board I'd settle down if I were you....

Walk before you run, think before you speak, ya know?

18 hours ago, apollo said:

There was no pick. It was Gus for Adam straight up.

2015-Jan-29 Traded from Vancouver Canucks to Chicago Blackhawks for Adam Clendening

Yes, it's not a good trade... at least Jimbo did well to draft him in the first place. Really head scratching move but you can't make the right move %100 of the time.

That is the best signature ever!  You are my hero.  You keep on betting on the most hated man on CDC Sbisa and now Eriksson.  Sbisa is playing really well on a team above Vancouver in the standings and Eriksson will probably continue to improve as he has done at every team he has played with after the first season.  Its like a reverse Troll.  Brilliant!

7 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

That is the best signature ever!  You are my hero.  You keep on betting on the most hated man on CDC Sbisa and now Eriksson.  Sbisa is playing really well on a team above Vancouver in the standings and Eriksson will probably continue to improve as he has done at every team he has played with after the first season.  Its like a reverse Troll.  Brilliant!

LOL! Shhhhhhhhh lets keep my secret agenda intact :lol:

It's funny how that Sbisa situation worked out... Hoping Loui keeps up his good play. He's honestly been amazing since he returned. If he keeps it up, he'll shut down some of the hate on here. 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am sure you watched him play 1 game at the beginning of the season. I am actually proclaiming he is better than all of Chicago's defense except Keith, which he is right now. Not only that but you're comparing him to Sergachev who is playing on the best team in the league with the 2 best players in the league, right now, and on top of that Sergachev is primarily offensive. Chicago has been pretty terrible all year long and Keith is a -5. Not only that but Forsling doesn't play with Keith unless on special teams. The only argument you can make is that Keith and Seabrook had a huge impact on how he's developed. Didn't help Clendening, did it?

The trade at the time looked awful. It was oh let's trade away our prospects for a prospect further along that another team doesn't want and hope a change of scenery changes things around so we can skip a rebuild and do a retool. He came here played a few games and it was clear that Clendening was terrible and that there was a good reason that Chicago wanted to get rid of him. We didn't even give Forsling a chance to play. We didn't even get to see what he could do. If we did he wouldn't have been traded.  

EVERYONE knew that a retool wasn't going to work and we needed a rebuild. JB's first years were not good and hopefully he sticks to a REBUILD and keeps drafting and developing our players.

Seriously?

A near .8 PPG D man in the pro leagues of size who outscored forsling in WJC play that could help out the team now over players like Bartkowski and Weber who were soon to follow was a terrible pick?

I posted an entire thread worth of people proclaiming how good this trade was.  Do tell captain hindsight.  What was your reaction then hmmm?

Clendenning didn't ever play with Keith or on the main club because he played through their best years and there was 0 room for him 4 whole games in the NHL before the trade where he notched 2 points.  So ya, in a sense you might be right in that he recieved no help from keith or Seabs.  But then you're also not mentioning how he DOES play with Rutta and Seabs both of whom are having solid starts to their season

Trading for a BARELY 22 year old was not a retool it was part of the rebuild just like Baertschi and Granlund, just like Markstrom.

Honestly, you're reaching right now and it shows.

Archived