The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point for Brocket Boeser

linden17

Lets say in the next few games, Boeser maybe gets an assist and maybe a goal or two. At what point do we start to silently start the talks of brock being a top player not only in rookie scoring but as a top player in the league? i know its early and hype is high. but at some point.....if this continues it will be hard to argue that he just may be a top player. the stats are there right now. 19 points in 18 games played. i dont think we are there just yet but if this continues, this is going to be unevitable. Ive watched the Canucks and Nhl for close to thirty years and not since the sedins has there been this much promise from a rookie that actuallly has promise. weve had guys like stever kariya and fedor fedorov and so on. all of such fizzled away and never really performed. As sportsnet said tonight the last Canucks who put up similar number were Linden and dixon ward. That right there tells us we have at the very least a solid NHLer who will at the very least have a lengthy career. But Brock displays more than those two.( No knock on Trevor because they are two different players). I ask this to the average Canucks fan out there who may jump on and off the wagon. Has there been a new player that youve ever watched that makes you want to watch games again like Boeser does in recent memory? This guy reminds me of a young Naslund in so many ways. So at what point do we actually start to say he is in the top category of players. I know if he played in Toronto he would already be compared to Mcdavid.

Personally, I do think he is one the best young players in the NHL and he'll lead the Canucks in points at season's end; but it's hard to call him a top player in the NHL before he's played 82 games IMO.

In Brock's prime if he gets to play with a seriously skilled playmaking center (ie. Pettersson in his prime), we might see a 40-50 goal scorer. As good as Bo and Baertschi are, the sort of passing Brock needs to hit that elite level is that of an elite playmaker. The way the twins got him the puck wide open in the slot is what he needs more of, and I think Pettersson is the guy with the sort of vision to make that happen.

5 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Pavel Bure was only one really you could sense when he got on ice something special was gonna happen.

but dont you get the sense every game that brock will be on the score sheet? mind you in no way as flashy as the great bure but still. 

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In Brock's prime if he gets to play with a seriously skilled playmaking center (ie. Pettersson in his prime), we might see a 40-50 goal scorer. As good as Bo and Baertschi are, the sort of passing Brock needs to hit that elite level is that of an elite playmaker. The way the twins got him the puck wide open in the slot is what he needs more of, and I think Pettersson is the guy with the sort of vision to make that happen.

hindsight is 20/20 but what a great one two punch. Petterson and Boeser followed by horvat and Baertschi....maybe lind in there somewhere. totally getting ahead though.

The reason i started this topic is because unlike most rookies who have good numbers but may go hot and cold with points. Brocks points arent just secondary assists or tap in goals. You watch him and he is a legitimate reason why the goal happens in the first place. 

Early to say but he might have the most lethal shot ever coming from a Canuck uniform. I feel like the pucks hitting he meshing before the goalies are reacting. Also I really enjoyed the passes from sedins today makes me wonder if he may be a better fit on that line, but why fix what's not broken him Baer and bo have posted 25 goals between the 3 of them now. I'm super excited and hope that he's only going to learn how to put himself even into more and better positions to use that shot. Won't be surprised to see boeser surpass the 35 goal mark this season if healthy 

1 hour ago, linden17 said:

The reason i started this topic is because unlike most rookies who have good numbers but may go hot and cold with points. Brocks points arent just secondary assists or tap in goals. You watch him and he is a legitimate reason why the goal happens in the first place. 

Exactly this. He is making other players look good and boosting their points. Easily MVP of the season so far for the Canucks.

1 hour ago, linden17 said:

So at what point do we actually start to say he is in the top category of players. I know if he played in Toronto he would already be compared to Mcdavid.

This is because Toronto fans are reality challenged.

1 minute ago, zzbottom said:

Have you ever been to the armchair gm thread? This community and fanbase is equally as reality challenged. 

yes, thst that's an armchchair gm thread. Toronto posts thier misconception of reality in the newspaper.

4 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

Pavel Bure was only one really you could sense when he got on ice something special was gonna happen.

Yes, Bure is the only one that gave us that special feel. The Sedins were special too but it was like whenever the Sedin twins were on the ice, it didn't feel like something special would happen, just typical cycling of the puck and then you realize that they have been controlling the puck for 2 minutes during 5-on-5 play, hit 3 or 4 posts before finally getting a goal.

It was weird those Sedins. Special in a non-special way. :)

As for OP, I think Boeser will truly join the elite if he improves his skating. I know it's not going to be an obstacle to him becoming a solid 30-40G scorer but improving his skating would get him to 40-50G range.

Archived