The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point for Brocket Boeser

linden17

At this point, I'm more interested in why people can't bring themselves to see the obvious. Fear of disappointment? Fear of being wrong? No guarantee?

To date, even from his brief time last season, Boeser hasn't given any reason to indicate he won't be a top player in the league. 

He's already starting to pull away from his rookie peers in goals and he's leading the entire team in points in his first season (even after missing his first two games).

The proof is staring everyone in the face, and has been since last season. I don't see any reason to question the kid because he's not giving me any reason to doubt his talent. And that's where I leave it. 

It's pretty obvious he's going to be one of the top players in the league. If he's this good now, just think when he's 25-26.

If he works on his skating and picks up a half step, full step, he'll be explosive. Not sure where he'll eventually land on that issue.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, you have to be able to recognize the real deal when it's on your doorstep. Fans have been so accustomed to waiting for the other shoe to drop. Boeser's been the real deal from day one. He's not playing over his head or the type of player who needs to be caudled. 

Down the road, from a goal scoring perspective, I'd say Boeser may fall more into a Brett Hull wheelhouse than a Bure wheelhouse. Will be interesting to see how he evolves.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

At this point, I'm more interested in why people can't bring themselves to see the obvious. Fear of disappointment? Fear of being wrong? No guarantee?

To date, even from his brief time last season, Boeser hasn't given any reason to indicate he won't be a top player in the league. 

He's already starting to pull away from his rookie peers in goals and he's leading the entire team in points in his first season (even after missing his first two games).

The proof is staring everyone in the face, and has been since last season. I don't see any reason to question the kid because he's not giving me any reason to doubt his talent. And that's where I leave it. 

It's pretty obvious he's going to be one of the top players in the league. If he's this good now, just think when he's 25-26.

If he works on his skating and picks up a half step, full step, he'll be explosive. Not sure where he'll eventually land on that issue.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, you have to be able to recognize the real deal when it's on your doorstep. Fans have been so accustomed to wait for the other shoe to drop. Boeser's been the real deal from day one. He's not playing over his head and needs to be caudled. 

Down the road, from a goal scoring perspective, I'd say Boeser may fall more into a Brett Hull wheelhouse than a Bure wheelhouse. Will be interesting to see how he evolves.

I think for a lot of people who have followed this team for a long time, it's somewhat shocking because of all the misfortune this franchise has had since it got going.
Like you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.... (edit: lol... i didn't read down to where you mentioned that yourself) 
You just can't believe that a player this good actually plays for us 

A few weeks into the season I mentioned that management has to find better players for him to play with. No knock against Bo. Bo is a solid player. But even this week we've heard how Brock makes everyone he plays with better... as a 20 year old kid that shouldn't be the case. Imagine finding players to line him up with that make him better. 

That's going to be key to this team becoming a contender again IMO.
Brock is without a doubt a legit 1st line forward. If we can manage to either acquire or draft 1 or 2 players (Pettersson?) to form a better top line and slide Bo into the #2C spot - we're golden.
Think 2010/11 era Canucks when Hank was putting up 100 points as a #1C and Kesler was the bull down the middle #2C with 75 points

Also, Brock is doing a few things that are starting to worry me a bit. 

Dr. Crossbar you alluded to his stride being not quite there and maybe that's part of it.... but I'm seeing him lunging forward with his stick trying to poke at pucks more and more.

Somebody should really sit him down and tell him to stop because that's how you get head hunted and/or blindsided.

We all remember this:

On 11/22/2017 at 3:22 AM, smokes said:

yes, thst that's an armchchair gm thread. Toronto posts thier misconception of reality in the newspaper.

Zing!

I can remember years ago when they'd already ordained themselves "Canada's best team".... and then promptly did the Leafs fall.

On the other hand, Vancouver is stocked with trollz - from the Provies to 'canucksarmy' - the media here is populated by monotonous, negative halfwits.

I think I'd actually prefer the Toronto media with all the premature tire-pumping and delusions of grandeur -  at least they don't make a living trolling their team at every turn.  Unfortunately, there is so much of that media nationally that it's impossible for anyone who isn't a Leafs homer not to get entirely sick of that team.

Some folks here were already calling the Leafs the 'next Blackhawks' last year though.  These kind of prophecies are absurd, particularly when they're based on a core of a few shiny forwards.

Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg might all have something to say about that.  And then there are rising teams and falling teams (ie Deadmonton - that could turn it around).  The Leafs are merely a playoff team - with a 4pt cushion on the 8th place wildcard Islanders. They squeaked into the playoffs by 1pt last year - there's a good reason Babcock has cautioned them about deluding themselves into believing their rebuild efforts are complete.  I'm still scratching my head that they extremely prematurely wasted a 2nd round pick renting Boyle.

They're a good young team, but declaring them a dynasty is laughable.

Personally I don't even think they're the best team north of the border - I consider Winnipeg a better team that Toronto, and if the Jets were to add a coach of the calibre of Babcock behind their bench, that gap would widen considerably.

It a too early... He could end up being a Jeff Skinner - goal scorer but not quite elite.. he could fall off the map (unlikely, his quality of linemates is destined to go up, as well as the team getting better) 

All I can say now is it looks like we got a goal scorer finally. Potentially the steal of the draft.

27 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I think for a lot of people who have followed this team for a long time, it's somewhat shocking because of all the misfortune this franchise has had since it got going.
Like you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.... (edit: lol... i didn't read down to where you mentioned that yourself) 

A few weeks into the season I mentioned that management has to find better players for him to play with. No knock against Bo. Bo is a solid player. But even this week we've heard how Brock makes everyone he plays with better... as a 20 year old kid that shouldn't be the case. Imagine finding players to line him up with that make him better. 

Brock is without a doubt a legit 1st line forward. If we can manage to either acquire or draft 1 or 2 players (Pettersson?) to form a better top line and slide Bo into the #2C spot - we're golden.
Think 2010/11 era Canucks when Hank was putting up 100 points as a #1C and Kesler was the bull down the middle #2C with 75 points

I've been drooling thinking of the potential Pettersson - Boeser combo in the near future, Horvat as a 2nd C and we're laughing. The bottom 6 can be filled from within organization plus current assets like Eriksson. We just need a top defenceman and this team starts to look dangerous.. and FASTER than it's been in years

32 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I've been drooling thinking of the potential Pettersson - Boeser combo in the near future, Horvat as a 2nd C and we're laughing. The bottom 6 can be filled from within organization plus current assets like Eriksson. We just need a top defenceman and this team starts to look dangerous.. and FASTER than it's been in years

100% agree and you just need good fortune to smile on your once or twice and that "rebuild" process can get sped up significantly.

Brock was a 23rd overall pick. That's nearly a 2nd rounder!

I'm not sure what they are going to do about a true #1 Defenceman. That's something this team has never had in almost 50 years, and one could argue that's the biggest reason the teams that did make it to the Final - lost. 

No offense to Dennis Kearns, but the closest we've ever come to a true #1 D was Christian Ehrhoff .
He may have only been here for 2 seasons but he put up nearly 100 points for us, and 20 more in the playoffs, while going +55

There is a lot hanging on Juolevi as we don't have another D in the grinder that has anything close to #1 potential. We're in no position to trade for one either, so that leaves either free agency (I'm talking internationally and/or US college/junior players not NHL) or the draft.
Who knows? If we miss the playoffs we're in the lottery... look what happened to Philly last year. They finished 19th overall and picked 2ND

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ever since Brock had a stint with the Sedins...they seem to be on fire now.....what he brings is really contagious.

i remember when he was drafted, a lot of people noticed he didnt show a lot of emotion.

fast forward...he is still the same way...not a lot of emotion....i think its because he is so focused and determined to be the best.

Bo even commented recently that he(Bo) gets more excited when Brock scores than Brock does.

this is a real gud thing.....our young Brock is much more mature beyond his years.

exciting time to be a Canucks fan!

44 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

ever since Brock had a stint with the Sedins...they seem to be on fire now.....what he brings is really contagious.

i remember when he was drafted, a lot of people noticed he didnt show a lot of emotion.

fast forward...he is still the same way...not a lot of emotion....i think its because he is so focused and determined to be the best.

Bo even commented recently that he(Bo) gets more excited when Brock scores than Brock does.

this is a real gud thing.....our young Brock is much more mature beyond his years.

exciting time to be a Canucks fan!

As good as it is having veterans there to help in the development of the young players, the kids can help revitalize and rejuvenate the veterans and that's probably what we are seeing with the Twins. How could they not help but have some more energy considering they may have the best pure goal scorer they have ever had playing with them.

Would have loved to see Brock finish off that rush before his goal. I wouldn't have been upset spilling my beer all over the place.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not a fan of "Brocket" or "Brockstar" or most of the nicknames being bandied around (don't usually care for nicknames in any event.

Imo, it should be simply "The Boes" - or left alone.

I agree Brocket is the worst.  Rocket.....because years ago we had another elite scorer named the Russian Rocket.

Even though Brock isn't fast.....nor is his shot super hard.  His special power is his hands and accuracy.  

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Good points. It seems like the most recent decline of the team since 2011 has gone on forever. There have been so many disappointments and shoes dropping in that time period. I get it. I think Boeser's arrival is an opportunity for fans to not be so jaded and believe what they're seeing. 

I love what you say about Brock playing with top line guys that can make him better. That's the playing over his head he needs. I think it's a fine line management needs to be careful of not to settle. I agree, dropping Bo to 2nd line is key. The way Pettersson's playing, he may be that talent that can pull Brock forward to his ceiling.

If we can solidify our top line with that legit talent, we're looking good in the rest of top 6 and bottom 6. At this point, looking to the future, the 2nd line down kinda pencil's itself. We need that legit #1 line and legit #1D.

The Hank/Kesler comparison is bang on. Exactly the way I see it, too.

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Also, Brock is doing a few things that are starting to worry me a bit. 

Dr. Crossbar you alluded to his stride being not quite there and maybe that's part of it.... but I'm seeing him lunging forward with his stick trying to poke at pucks more and more.

Somebody should really sit him down and tell him to stop because that's how you get head hunted and/or blindsided.

We all remember this:

I know what you're saying. I'm not so worried. I don't think his game affords those types of long-term weaknesses. I see it more as necessary growing pains until he puts together a more efficient game. 

The thing that impresses me about him is his maturity, cool head, self-awareness, desire to do the right things. Those should course correct with - I hope, as you say - someone sitting him down and telling him to stop.  

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I know what you're saying. I'm not so worried. I don't think his game affords those types of long-term weaknesses. I see it more as necessary growing pains until he puts together a more efficient game. 

The thing that impresses me about him is his maturity, cool head, self-awareness, desire to do the right things. Those should course correct with - I hope, as you say - someone sitting him down and telling him to stop.  

Greener has said he's more impressed with his defensive awareness and positioning, than he is necessarily with his offence. 
I agree with your post, i just hold my breath when I see him lunging forward like that when really, he doesn't need to. If that play is there, take it. If not, roll with it until you can.

Guys like Marchand, Kadri, Rielly, Kane, Perry, Doughty... they won't hesitate to clock this kid if they see him in a vulnerable position. 
After Burmi knocked Couture out of the game last night I was a bit on edge...... :mellow:

On 2017-11-22 at 1:10 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

In Brock's prime if he gets to play with a seriously skilled playmaking center (ie. Pettersson in his prime), we might see a 40-50 goal scorer. As good as Bo and Baertschi are, the sort of passing Brock needs to hit that elite level is that of an elite playmaker. The way the twins got him the puck wide open in the slot is what he needs more of, and I think Pettersson is the guy with the sort of vision to make that happen.

drooooooool  !!!!!

9 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Greener has said he's more impressed with his defensive awareness and positioning, than he is necessarily with his offence. 
I agree with your post, i just hold my breath when I see him lunging forward like that when really, he doesn't need to. If that play is there, take it. If not, roll with it until you can.

Guys like Marchand, Kadri, Rielly, Kane, Perry, Doughty... they won't hesitate to clock this kid if they see him in a vulnerable position. 
After Burmi knocked Couture out of the game last night I was a bit on edge...... :mellow:

Yeah, you're right. I was going to say in my last post that I hope that lunging won't be too costly in the interim learning curve. He will be a marked man from here on out. He looks to be a quick learner. Hopefully he's proactive about it when we play tougher, bigger teams.

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I said it last year and I'll say it again, you have to be able to recognize the real deal when it's on your doorstep. Fans have been so accustomed to waiting for the other shoe to drop. Boeser's been the real deal from day one. He's not playing over his head or the type of player who needs to be caudled. 

I was listening to a sports caster the other day and they suggested that Boeser was surely over achieving.  I don't think we have seen the best of this kid. Just wait until he is surrounded by a solid lineup. Or a true number one center. I think this kid is special and will score 50 in this league.

Archived