The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point for Brocket Boeser

linden17

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I was listening to a sports caster the other day and they suggested that Boeser was surely over achieving.  I don't think we have seen the best of this kid. Just wait until he is surrounded by a solid lineup. Or a true number one center. I think this kid is special and will score 50 in this league.

I think this kid is something special. No, we haven't seen the best of him. That's going to be awesome to watch. I think he's playing to his talent and exactly at the level that matches his talent. His numbers are proving it. I think we've got an elite goal scorer and everyone's afraid to go there.

I have very little doubt that Boeser is for real now and his play will continue. Other teams have been aware of him for a while now and he still continues to impress.

For me the best comparison for the type of player he is, is naslund. But Brock seems better to me because he is playing like naslund at a younger age and seems to be able to score no matter who he plays with whereas naslund was with Bert and Bmo and didn't really seem to have the same notariety until he clicked with those two to form the wce .

So the question that I have is, is what is the ceiling for Brock? 

How much better can he get? 

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I have very little doubt that Boeser is for real now and his play will continue. Other teams have been aware of him for a while now and he still continues to impress.

For me the best comparison for the type of player he is, is naslund. But Brock seems better to me because he is playing like naslund at a younger age and seems to be able to score matter who he plays with whereas naslund was with Bert and Bmo and didn't really seem to have the same until he clicked with those two to form the wce .

So the question that I have is, is what is the ceiling for Brock? 

How much better can he get? 

He is on pace for 40 without a superstar center. (No offence to Bo) He will get stronger and probably faster. If Pettersson turns out to be the real deal and Brock has an elite play making center setting him up, the sky is the limit. With Bo on the second line teams will not be able to focus on our top line.

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

At this point, I'm more interested in why people can't bring themselves to see the obvious. Fear of disappointment? Fear of being wrong? No guarantee?

To date, even from his brief time last season, Boeser hasn't given any reason to indicate he won't be a top player in the league. 

He's already starting to pull away from his rookie peers in goals and he's leading the entire team in points in his first season (even after missing his first two games).

The proof is staring everyone in the face, and has been since last season. I don't see any reason to question the kid because he's not giving me any reason to doubt his talent. And that's where I leave it. 

It's pretty obvious he's going to be one of the top players in the league. If he's this good now, just think when he's 25-26.

If he works on his skating and picks up a half step, full step, he'll be explosive. Not sure where he'll eventually land on that issue.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, you have to be able to recognize the real deal when it's on your doorstep. Fans have been so accustomed to waiting for the other shoe to drop. Boeser's been the real deal from day one. He's not playing over his head or the type of player who needs to be caudled. 

Down the road, from a goal scoring perspective, I'd say Boeser may fall more into a Brett Hull wheelhouse than a Bure wheelhouse. Will be interesting to see how he evolves.

You make a really good point about his skating. I was mentioning in my previous post what his ceiling might be and that's an area that can take him to another level.

If he can improve his speed he can get the odd breakaway as he very smart. He can get away from checks in the slot.

Speed could get him an extra ten goals a year. 

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He is on pace for 40 without a superstar center. (No offence to Bo) He will get stronger and probably faster. If Pettersson turns out to be the real deal and Brock has an elite play making center setting him up, the sky is the limit. With Bo on the second line teams will not be able to focus on our top line.

Now that's two things that can elevate brock from where he is at. Another strong line and speed.

The CDC analysts are doing just fine . 

18 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

You make a really good point about his skating. I was mentioning in my previous post what his ceiling might be and that's an area that can take him to another level.

If he can improve his speed he can get the odd breakaway as he very smart. He can get away from checks in the slot.

Speed could get him an extra ten goals a year. 

I think he'll get faster out of necessity and maturity. That will add another dimension to his game. but I think his hockey IQ and the way he sees the ice will keep him from being Bure explosive. Bure was born with that. Brock won't be that explosive. He'll be more multidimensional.

On 11/22/2017 at 1:25 AM, linden17 said:

The reason i started this topic is because unlike most rookies who have good numbers but may go hot and cold with points. Brocks points arent just secondary assists or tap in goals. You watch him and he is a legitimate reason why the goal happens in the first place. 

Yes. He knows how to get into space at the right time. It can't be taught. Like I said before, imagine what he'll do when he learns how to skate. He reminds me of Brett Hull 

6 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Yes. He knows how to get into space at the right time. It can't be taught. Like I said before, imagine what he'll do when he learns how to skate. He reminds me of Brett Hull 

God help the opposition if Boeser ends up having anything close to the 100+mph slapper Hull had.

And if he ends up with a center that can pass the puck anything like Adam Oates did.......... faggetaboutit - just get out of the way, cause it's going in

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

God help the opposition if Boeser ends up having anything close to the 100+mph slapper Hull had.

And if he ends up with a center that can pass the puck anything like Adam Oates did.......... faggetaboutit - just get out of the way, cause it's going in

If we get our own version of Hull & Oates ... the Stanley Cup kiss will be on our list!

the talk of brock being the top rookie can start anytime

go ahead

he is the best of the rookie crop this year

that could still change

best player in the league?  i think that is premature

he does not play top minutes.. play 16 as opposed to 18 - 20 or more that many top players log

he is not the top scorer yet, not the top point getter yet,  he is creeping up

he has not really had a slump yet.. he might not .. but the odds are a bit against that

i say if he can continue at his november pace, and step it up a little bit, untl early march that query can be revisited

i still would take mcdavid over him

and other players as well

but he has only played 30 games

he needs to complete this solid season

make some adjustments and improve some weaknesses this offseason

and let's see what he is like next year.. that will be much more interesting

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

If we get our own version of Hull & Oates ... the Stanley Cup kiss will be on our list!

We almost had Adam Oates in 1997.
Boston offered him straight up for Linden.
Quinn said no....

But you can imagine what Oates could have done centering Bure AND Mogilny (one of them would have t play off wing but so what)....  dear Lord Almighty... that could have been the highest scoring line in the history of the NHL and that's not exaggerating  :o

8 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think brock will do awesome till year end, but I can not say he is the best rookie but he might be

In the future I see him as a top line guy,but he should stay with Bo and pettersson on another line so we can have two great lines for years to come

"better" is kind of subjective.

Barzal is one sweet playmaker, and most of his points are assists. Makes sense since he's a natural center....

Barzal is also from Coquitlam.... so how about 

Pettersson - Barzal - Boeser   (LW/LS - C/RS - RW/RS)

Tell me that wouldn't be fun !!!

edit: the BEEP line... as in, gtfo of our way! lol

Boeser and Pettersson could switch sides on the power play so Barzal is feeding both sides for one-times  weeeeeeeeeeee:towel:

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

We almost had Adam Oates in 1997.
Boston offered him straight up for Linden.
Quinn said no....

But you can imagine what Oates could have done centering Bure AND Mogilny (one of them would have t play off wing but so what)....  dear Lord Almighty... that could have been the highest scoring line in the history of the NHL and that's not exaggerating  :o

Yeah, I remember that. Also remember not having a good feeling we'd get Oates. Always thought Bure and Mogilny never lived up to what it truly could have been with the right linemate. I'm guessing Quinn was thinking with his heart on that one. 

Archived