The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[opinion/discussion] oilers should trade draisaitl

The_Rocket

I was going to post this in the armchair gm’ing section, but since it’s not about the Canucks I’m posting it here. 

It’s American thanksgiving and the Oilers are well out of the playoffs. History shows that it’s very unlikely they will be able to turn this season around. There’s always next year, but McDavids 12.5 mill/year contract kicks in so they will strapped for cash to ice a competitive team. They have some expensive contracts on the books: lucic at 6 mill, RNH at 6 mill, sekera at 5.5, and Russel at 4. Consensus is one of these players will need to be moved to make cap space, but it’s going to be tough since all of them have nmc on their contracts except RNH, who will probably be traded at a discount much like Eberle. 

So are they Houped?

I say no, and suggest a radical trade. Draisaitl is 21, a top 15 scorer in this league, a big body, plays centre, and has an 8.5 mill cap hit but with no contract clauses. He could fetch a very serious haul on the trade market to a team in need of a centre, and it would clear up a lot of cap space. RNH is showing this year he can handle that number 2 centre spot behind McDavid, which gives the oilers the luxury of being able to trade drai and still have 2 top 6 centres. 

Im not sure yet where he would go or what he would be worth, but I think of Edmonton is going to sell (which they should) the. Drai should be on the block

Nope they shouldn't.  Like at all.

Their main issue right now is secondary scoring in the bottom 6 Talbot has (as many said he would) looked less than Vezina and a lack of defensive depth.

No worries until after New years.  Then they'll look at trading the chaff before the valuable items

so trade a young talented player so that they can go get.....?  

LD is a piece they can build around. They need better scoring wingers so they can actually move LD off McPouty's line and have 2 scoring threats. 

They need to move picks and take less than market value for guys like Nugent-Hopkins so they can make TDL moves for veteran scoring and better D, if they really think they are a contender. 

Are McD and Drai still playing on separate lines? Seems they had great success last year playing together, so I'm not sure why they were split up. This team could be in trouble. My guess is they'll almost give RNH away to clear cap space, maybe one of their D, and try to trade for another D. The Canucks don't need RNH, as we've got Horvat, and Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette coming up, who can all play C. Love the idea of Guddy for Drai lol, although EDM would never do that. I think Draisaitl and McDavid are the two untouchables on that team.

29 minutes ago, The Game said:

The Oilers should get a new GM that doesn't trade elite young forwards for a fraction of their value.

But only after they trade Draisaitl to the Canucks for Hutton and a 2nd rd pick B)

On a serious note, and bouncing off of @Jimmy McGill's post, does anyone think the Oilers would be interested in Vanek? Veteran scorer, still puts up solid numbers, cheap. They need all the help on the wing that they can get, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but a guy like Vanek might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

What do you think they might be willing to give us in return?

I'm not sure trading Draisaitl would be wise.  McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH are the future in Edmonton.  If they are going to make changes, they should try and convince Lucic to waive and get that 6mil a season for the rest of time off their books.  They have a few RFAs to sign, they need to make some changes for sure.  If Draisaitl was made publicly available, I expect every GM would make a play for him.  I would like to see RNH a Canuck, but not sure we have enough of what Edmonton needs.  

In my fantasy we get Draisaitl for anything but Horvat or Boeser - Yes, I know, it's truly is fantasy.

In my dream we get RNH for Hutton and a pick - Still not going to happen, RNH has way more value elsewhere.

In my nightmare we get Lucic for a cheese sandwich - That contract is worse than Eriksson's.

In my reality we get none of the above.

To be honest, I hope they continue to suck, they have an embarrassment of riches and will likely be a top team in the coming years, no need to rush into it from my perspective.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And what player on the Canucks would protect the team from Gudbranson, Lucic, Kassian, Maroon, and Nurse?

No one. Because those players have all been next to useless for the Oil.

Size is overrated in the new NHL. Who cares if someone is big if they can't keep up with the play. 

17 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I'm not sure trading Draisaitl would be wise.  McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH are the future in Edmonton.  If they are going to make changes, they should try and convince Lucic to waive and get that 6mil a season for the rest of time off their books.  They have a few RFAs to sign, they need to make some changes for sure.  If Draisaitl was made publicly available, I expect every GM would make a play for him.  I would like to see RNH a Canuck, but not sure we have enough of what Edmonton needs.  

In my fantasy we get Draisaitl for anything but Horvat or Boeser - Yes, I know, it's truly is fantasy.

In my dream we get RNH for Hutton and a pick - Still not going to happen, RNH has way more value elsewhere.

In my nightmare we get Lucic for a cheese sandwich - That contract is worse than Eriksson's.

In my reality we get none of the above.

To be honest, I hope they continue to suck, they have an embarrassment of riches and will likely be a top team in the coming years, no need to rush into it from my perspective.  

I agree convincing lucic to waive is best case scenario. But that will be tough to pull off. Right now the oilers have 3 really good centres and nothing else. Klefbom might become a number 1 D, but he also might remain as a 30-40 point ideal number 3 D. Talbot is very inconsistent, even last year he was inconsistent but a lot was covered up by the oilers dominant offence. 

When I think about trading drai, I think of the johansen for Seth Jones trade. Two star players being swapped based on the need of each team, and both teams were better for it. Sure, maybe chia can’t find a partner willing to do a blockbuster swap, but if he’s not picking up the phone on draisaitl to at least try, he’s making a huge mistake. 

I also look at the Duchene trade and all the futures Colorado acquired. Draisaitl could probably bring in an even bigger haul, provided they find a trading partner. Maybe no one is willing to do it, but they should at least try

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

No one. Because those players have all been next to useless for the Oil.

That has more to do with the composition of the team than the players themselves. Lucic and Maroon have been putting up points, as well.

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Size is overrated in the new NHL. Who cares if someone is big if they can't keep up with the play. 

The new NHL? This is the same league it's always been. There are phases that the league goes through based on players coming through the draft.

GMs like to have some size on their roster, especially when whistles get put away in the spring. Guys like Kassian and Nurse are more than capable of keeping up with the speed of the game. Lucic? Not so much.

Size is just as much of a consideration as skill and speed. I agree that just being a large human isn't going to cut it in the NHL, you have to bring something else to the table. However, a 6'4" 220 player that can skate and score, is worth their weight in gold in this league.

I'm just going to dive into the deep end with a trade where the value is probably questionable at best. Open to suggestions on if it can be improved or if the trade should be beaten to death with clubs. Let's have some fun!

Friedman opined in his 31 thoughts today that Price might want out of MTL. With that in mind, let's talk blockbusters!

To EDM: Price, Galchenyuk, 2nd round pick

To MTL: Draisaitl, Talbot, Puljujarvi

Trading away their 1st generation rebuild pieces is what got them into this fix in the first place.  But then again, most of those guys are playing much better since leaving the Oilers.

I think a large part of their problem is coaching and a lack of cohesion amongst the players.  They do not have the quality lineup that many think, so the coaching staff need to develop a system that can play a more team oriented game.  They just seem to lack the hardworking character guys that won't let the team give up.  One also has to wonder why so many of their players are regressing this year.

Imo, Drais and McD should only play on the same line when there's a PP or if the score is getting lop-sided.  McD doesn't need a guy like Drais to put up points; he simply needs a speedy winger that is a good passer and has enough hockey sense to keep things moving in the O-zone.  Drais should be on the 2nd unit with RNH; scoring goals like a 1st line.

Still time for them to turn things around, but I think finding a new coach (Sutter?) and signing that speedy winger would help things along.  I don't see them being a contender though.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That has more to do with the composition of the team than the players themselves. Lucic and Maroon have been putting up points, as well.

The new NHL? This is the same league it's always been. There are phases that the league goes through based on players coming through the draft.

GMs like to have some size on their roster, especially when whistles get put away in the spring. Guys like Kassian and Nurse are more than capable of keeping up with the speed of the game. Lucic? Not so much.

Size is just as much of a consideration as skill and speed. I agree that just being a large human isn't going to cut it in the NHL, you have to bring something else to the table. However, a 6'4" 220 player that can skate and score, is worth their weight in gold in this league.

Size is nice, but its all in the way its used. If its not being used effectively, then its just weight being lugged around.

Gudbranson is far closer to Lucic than he is Nurse. Guddy's footspeed is brutal and he's always a step behind. I'm all aboard the "trade Gudbranson" hype train because while he does bring an obvious leadership quality to the team that is nice to have, its not worth his salary and I'd rather get what value he has left out of him before the rest of the league realizes how bad he is. I want the guy to succeed and I was a strong advocate in giving him some time to prove himself before judging him coming off his injury, but his numbers have continued to spiral and I don't see him as a top-4 defenseman anymore. Other teams do. So get that value while we still can.

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Trading away their 1st generation rebuild pieces is what got them into this fix in the first place.  But then again, most of those guys are playing much better since leaving the Oilers.

I think a large part of their problem is coaching and a lack of cohesion amongst the players.  They do not have the quality lineup that many think, so the coaching staff need to develop a system that can play a more team oriented game.  They just seem to lack the hardworking character guys that won't let the team give up.  One also has to wonder why so many of their players are regressing this year.

Imo, Drais and McD should only play on the same line when there's a PP or if the score is getting lop-sided.  McD doesn't need a guy like Drais to put up points; he simply needs a speedy winger that is a good passer and has enough hockey sense to keep things moving in the O-zone.  Drais should be on the 2nd unit with RNH; scoring goals like a 1st line.

Still time for them to turn things around, but I think finding a new coach (Sutter?) and signing that speedy winger would help things along.  I don't see them being a contender though.

I agree that McDavid doesn’t need draisaitl to score points. But that means you have 14.5 million dollars tied up in two players who aren’t even playing on your top line in drai and rnh. One has to be traded (unless you can convince lucic to waive) and drai will bring a far better return than rnh

41 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm just going to dive into the deep end with a trade where the value is probably questionable at best. Open to suggestions on if it can be improved or if the trade should be beaten to death with clubs. Let's have some fun!

Friedman opined in his 31 thoughts today that Price might want out of MTL. With that in mind, let's talk blockbusters!

To EDM: Price, Galchenyuk, 2nd round pick

To MTL: Draisaitl, Talbot, Puljujarvi

That's pretty much what I suggested in another armchair thread.  It got zero attention, but I think it would be a sound move for both teams.  Your version has Edmonton getting slightly less value than my version I think.

Archived