The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[opinion/discussion] oilers should trade draisaitl

The_Rocket

38 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I agree that McDavid doesn’t need draisaitl to score points. But that means you have 14.5 million dollars tied up in two players who aren’t even playing on your top line in drai and rnh. One has to be traded (unless you can convince lucic to waive) and drai will bring a far better return than rnh

If the 2nd line is scoring 1st line points, who cares?  Meanwhile, they find a cheaper, but adequate player that fits with McD and they have two 1st lines.

Regardless, I think the problem is more about their coaching and lack of effective system.

22 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That's pretty much what I suggested in another armchair thread.  It got zero attention, but I think it would be a sound move for both teams.  Your version has Edmonton getting slightly less value than my version I think.

Should I up it to a 1st round pick?

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But only after they trade Draisaitl to the Canucks for Hutton and a 2nd rd pick B)

On a serious note, and bouncing off of @Jimmy McGill's post, does anyone think the Oilers would be interested in Vanek? Veteran scorer, still puts up solid numbers, cheap. They need all the help on the wing that they can get, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but a guy like Vanek might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

What do you think they might be willing to give us in return?

Vanek does give them a PP option but he may be slower than Lucic :lol: I do think we could net a 3rd, maybe a long-shot prospect though if they don't go all in for Kane. I think Buffalo is going to get Edmonton's 1st + a prospect + another later pick for Evander. Solves many of their problems in one move. 

As far as our team goes, honestly if we're in the hunt I could see Jim standing pat (not counting the Guddy situation). 

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If the 2nd line is scoring 1st line points, who cares?  Meanwhile, they find a cheaper, but adequate player that fits with McD and they have two 1st lines.

Regardless, I think the problem is more about their coaching and lack of effective system.

I see what your saying, and if the oilers can find some cheap players to make it work than it’s a great plan. But cap problems might force their hand. 2 first lines is expensive 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But only after they trade Draisaitl to the Canucks for Hutton and a 2nd rd pick B)

On a serious note, and bouncing off of @Jimmy McGill's post, does anyone think the Oilers would be interested in Vanek? Veteran scorer, still puts up solid numbers, cheap. They need all the help on the wing that they can get, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but a guy like Vanek might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

What do you think they might be willing to give us in return?

I think that’s a very good match for the oilers for short term. They have pretty much no right wingers who can score, which is why they put drai on the wing. Vanek is out scoring most of their forwards at this point in the season

22 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Should I up it to a 1st round pick?

It all depends on your perspective of what is driving the trade.  In my mind, I took the position that Montreal didn't even look to have the potential to win the cup and that Edmonton probably did.  So from that perspective, Montreal were sellers to do an on-the-fly rebuild while Edmonton were buyers to win right now.  If that is the position, then giving Edmonton a draft pick (let alone a 1st which is likely to be a high first in a deep draft) doesn't make a lot of sense.  

This was my proposal for a true blockbuster:

To Edmonton:
Price                            

Galchenyuk             

Weber                
Shaw
Pacioretty

To Montreal:
Talbot 

Draisitl
Puljujarvi                        
Lucic

Benson

1st round 2019 pick

So you can see in this scenario, Montreal basically blows it up and would expect to contend again in a couple of years instead of now, whereas the Oilers get what they need with better goaltending, more scoring depth, and a much needed improvement on defense for an all-in approach this season.

Montreal, on the other hand, gains high talent young players and THEY are the ones who get the draft pick.

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It all depends on your perspective of what is driving the trade.  In my mind, I took the position that Montreal didn't even look to have the potential to win the cup and that Edmonton probably did.  So from that perspective, Montreal were sellers to do an on-the-fly rebuild while Edmonton were buyers to win right now.  If that is the position, then giving Edmonton a draft pick (let alone a 1st which is likely to be a high first in a deep draft) doesn't make a lot of sense.  

To Edmonton:
Price                            

Galchenyuk             

Weber                
Shaw
Pacioretty

To Montreal:
Talbot 

Draisitl
Puljujarvi                        
Lucic

Benson

1st round 2019 pick

So you can see in this scenario, Montreal basically blows it up and would expect to contend again in a couple of years instead of now, whereas the Oilers get what they need with better goaltending, more scoring depth, and a much needed improvement on defense for an all-in approach this season.

Montreal, on the other hand, gains high talent young players and THEY are the ones who get the draft pick.

I think that would be the biggest blockbuster trade of all time. I would love to see something like this go down.

5 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I think that would be the biggest blockbuster trade of all time. I would love to see something like this go down.

It probably would be - and hence, would never happen... if for no other reason that fans would be *pissed* to get rid of some of their biggest talent.  But if it truly is the perspective of the Oilers that their window is right now (and it is) and the perspective of Bergevin that he doesn't believe they can compete for the cup now (and they can't) then this really does help both teams achieve what they want to achieve.  Edmonton instantly gets better and while Montreal gets worse, it gives them hope to actually have a better team in a couple of years because their players right now simply aren't getting it done.

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

Size is nice, but its all in the way its used. If its not being used effectively, then its just weight being lugged around.

Gudbranson is far closer to Lucic than he is Nurse. Guddy's footspeed is brutal and he's always a step behind. I'm all aboard the "trade Gudbranson" hype train because while he does bring an obvious leadership quality to the team that is nice to have, its not worth his salary and I'd rather get what value he has left out of him before the rest of the league realizes how bad he is. I want the guy to succeed and I was a strong advocate in giving him some time to prove himself before judging him coming off his injury, but his numbers have continued to spiral and I don't see him as a top-4 defenseman anymore. Other teams do. So get that value while we still can.

Yea, that's foolish.

They don't have to trade Draistaitl and they won't.

If they need help on D, they can trade Puljujarvi or RNH.

That opens up a bunch of teams as trading partners.  Teams building for the future like us would take Puljujarvi in a heartbeat.  Teams in win now mode would happily take RNH.

Any trade leaves Edmonton a hole to fill, but they have the high paid stud forward stars, so trading away from of their supporting cast for help on D is probably they way they have to go.

Edmonton has to really do something in the very near future.  If they backslide terribly, they could be in trouble.  It will be harder to re-sign guys and harder to attract UFAs if folks think they are just in a morass of being bad forever.

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I was going to post this in the armchair gm’ing section, but since it’s not about the Canucks I’m posting it here. 

It’s American thanksgiving and the Oilers are well out of the playoffs. History shows that it’s very unlikely they will be able to turn this season around. There’s always next year, but McDavids 12.5 mill/year contract kicks in so they will strapped for cash to ice a competitive team. They have some expensive contracts on the books: lucic at 6 mill, RNH at 6 mill, sekera at 5.5, and Russel at 4. Consensus is one of these players will need to be moved to make cap space, but it’s going to be tough since all of them have nmc on their contracts except RNH, who will probably be traded at a discount much like Eberle. 

Although they have a few games at hand on the Sharks, the Oilers are just five points outside a playoff spot and they have a pretty soft schedule coming up. 

If they average about 1.28 pts per game from here on out (equates to a 104 point season over 82 games), they'll probably make the playoffs (would give them about 96 points to end the year). I'm pretty sure that they will, eventually, start playing the ways people expected them to. 

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

To Edmonton:
Price                            

Galchenyuk             

Weber                
Shaw
Pacioretty

To Montreal:
Talbot 

Draisitl
Puljujarvi                        
Lucic

Benson

1st round 2019 pick

Get Bergevin on the phone.  This is brilliant.  

Archived