The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017/18 WJHC Thread

RRypien37

27 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What a strange game between the USA and Sweden.

Petterson was relentless!

No question, B Tkachuck is a winner. Lucky is the team who drafts him.

Agreed on EP and BT.   BT is so different than his brother in terms of how he plays the game.   He plays hard, tough and relentlessly but I watched him pull up several times when he knew he could still neutralize the player but avoid trying to knock him into next week.  He is also, from what I have seen, not a stick artist.   The apple can roll further from the tree in some instances and at least based upon the WJC sample size, he is a much more complete hockey player than his brother and I agree he would be a great pick up at the draft.

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed on EP and BT.   BT is so different than his brother in terms of how he plays the game.   He plays hard, tough and relentlessly but I watched him pull up several times when he knew he could still neutralize the player but avoid trying to knock him into next week.  He is also, from what I have seen, not a stick artist.   The apple can roll further from the tree in some instances and at least based upon the WJC sample size, he is a much more complete hockey player than his brother and I agree he would be a great pick up at the draft.

I see Tkachuk taking his shots in front of the net but nothing excessive. He is a curious fellow. He seemed to interact with the ice cleaning crew during the outdoor game more than his team mates. Cannot remember a hit he made along the boards during the tourny. 

EP is way more than I expected. He QB's the play every shift but especially on the PP. His team mates seem to defer. His wrist shoot is stunning. His passing, tight in, is eceptional especially when combined with speed. He needs another 15 pounds before NHL play. He avoids a lot of hits but he would be a target in the NHL.  

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but is Zadina reminding anyone of Jagr?

Just the way he skates and protects the puck is very Jagr-like.

If it comes down to a choice between Tkachuk and Zadina, I think I take Zadina.

If the Canucks can land either I'd call that a win.

I imagine both go in the top 4.

50 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

There are more CDN fans supporting the US than there are American fans supporting the US. Embarrassing for tournament organizers. 

They probably got tickets to the CDN game and were told to come early so it's not completely empty for this game. :lol:

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good for the Czechs for not completely rolling over.

But I find it disgusting to the Nth degree that the US team wants to rub the loss of the bronze medal in the Czech players faces. What's to be gained by running up the score at this point, There's no way the Czechs could possibly come back and goal differential has absolutely no bearing on this game. Booooooooo to the US coaches and team.

14 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

But I find it disgusting to the Nth degree that the US team wants to rub the loss of the bronze medal in the Czech players faces. What's to be gained by running up the score at this point, There's no way the Czechs could possibly come back and goal differential has absolutely no bearing on this game. Booooooooo to the US coaches and team.

Better to do that in a medal game rather than round robin, where Canada is also guilty of it.

13 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Better to do that in a medal game rather than round robin, where Canada is also guilty of it.

Not sure that is accurate.   In a round robin game you are playing for seeding where goal differential can really matter.   In a final medal game, win by 1 or by 10 and the result is the same.   

If you are up 7-0 after two periods in a medal game, chance are pretty good you can dump/chase and not take another shot and you will win going away (unless Green has yelled at you and you are the goalie....right?).

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure that is accurate.   In a round robin game you are playing for seeding where goal differential can really matter.   In a final medal game, win by 1 or by 10 and the result is the same.   

If you are up 7-0 after two periods in a medal game, chance are pretty good you can dump/chase and not take another shot and you will win going away (unless Green has yelled at you and you are the goalie....right?).

Thank you....you beat me to a response for said poster. :)

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I'd rather secure a medal than a seeding, especially when that's the secondary tiebreaker.

Either it's all ok, or none of it's ok. Can't hate on a team for giving it their all in the final game, when they've been told to do that all tournament.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'd rather secure a medal than a seeding, especially when that's the secondary tiebreaker.

Either it's all ok, or none of it's ok. Can't hate on a team for giving it their all in the final game, when they've been told to do that all tournament.

Uh, without seeding you may not make a medal round.   Right?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because if you are up 7-0 after two periods with no more games and you cannot manage to take the foot off the gas at least in the offensive zone, you are well within your right but you can look the the non-chewing end of a horse.   Different strokes.

Archived