The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what is your earliest memory of hockey?

smithers joe

Also remember as a kid my Dad shoveling off the dugout on our acreage and the neighbour boys coming over, all of us playing hockey, the kids on skates with sticks, my dad in snow boots with an aluminum grain shovel.  Don't know how many pucks we would lose in the snowbanks :)  Always amusing to watch all of us dive for the sides every time the ice would crack when it settled.  My Dad was always careful about making sure there was lots of ice before he'd let us out there to play on it.  

Early 90's with my babysitter we always used to watch the Canucks games, it was around the time that the 'blue streak' was being tested. it was needed for Americans to be able to follow the puck. I was very young but still old enough to think wow the Americans must be blind to need this.

I was 5 at the time and my Dad took me to my very first hockey game, and first exposure to the sport ever, and it was the first preseason game the Sedin twins came to Vancouver, I remember in the halls of then GM place, people were whispering and the anticipation of seeing the Sedin twins.  At the time, I didn't know what the hype was all about, but even in the seats I remember people were talking loudly and lauding over the potential of the twins.  

Little did I know these two players would be the franchise leading scorers in our team history. 

It was amazing because my first exposure to the sport came when arguebly the most important players to our franchise arrived.  Literally there were tshirts, pucks, programs printed with their face on it.  Still have one of the pucks with their faces and the print said "Double Trouble rookies"

I remember falling in love with Bertuzzi and the Canucks in the early 2000s. I really became a big fan post lockout though. As far as playing it, I never played ice but I do have fond memories of going down to Robson Park and playing in ball hockey rink down there. I also have memories of playing at Kensington Community Centre on Saturday afternoons.

My earliest hockey memory is being about 5 years old, playing hockey in the tennis court of our neighbor with my dad.

In terms of being a fan, I'd say I have some memories of the early 2000s and a lot of hype around the play of Ed Jovanovski. I remember laughing with my brother and sister about how much he placed himself in front of the net, even as a defenseman. I also have a lot of "Great save, Cloutier!" memories from Jim Hughson.

Around 1972. I used to be my Dad`s remote control. One evening, he had me change the channel to put on the game, the Habs were playing, his favourite team. I never understood hockey and wasn`t interested in it (yet), but my Dad literally held me there and forced me to watch it with him that night. Glad he did, have loved the game since.

Ahh, Peter Puck and Howey Meeker. Those were the days. I also liked Showdown during intermission when they`d have two skaters (each from a different team) compete against one of the NHL goalies. Memory is kind of foggy. 

Watching HNIC on Saturday nights downstairs in our "den" on the B&W tv (along with rabbit ears) with my Dad and brother...... circa 1965-ish

HNIC was a tradition in the household.....later on I remember going to see games with my Dad & Uncle at the Coliseum....my Dad always took a transistor radio in his pocket so he could listen to Jim Robson as well as a bag of peanuts in the shell.

1994 – I was 7. All I remember is my step-dad jumping up and down screaming “We’re going to the cup!” over and over again. I remember jumping up and down with him but not understanding why lol

I had to look it up, but it was when Greg Adams scored, in OT against the Leafs, sending the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals.

5 hours ago, skategal said:

Mid '60's, curled up as a little girl on the couch with my Dad watching Saturday night hockey night in Canada, then getting to go into town with Dad to watch the local senior men's team playing the hated rivals from Ft. St. John.   

I played in a bantam tournament in dc  in 1974 it was so cold out you had to stay inside the rink to stay warm. we got to see some dc bruins practices while we were there . there was really good hockey being played in the north back then with the cariboo hockey league and the p.n.w.h.l  going strong,  by the mid 80s  it all seemed to fizzle out , but now the c.i.h.l is going strong, but nothing compared to the amount of teams and the calibre of hockey that the 70s had.

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I played in a bantam tournament in dc  in 1974 it was so cold out you had to stay inside the rink to stay warm. we got to see some dc bruins practices while we were there . there was really good hockey being played in the north back then with the cariboo hockey league and the p.n.w.h.l  going strong,  by the mid 80s  it all seemed to fizzle out , but now the c.i.h.l is going strong, but nothing compared to the amount of teams and the calibre of hockey that the 70s had.

Do you remember the RMJHL? That’s what I grew up watching locally. I remember hearing about our team taking PG’s net for warm ups and daring them to come across center to get it back. That was when Tony Twist played on the spruce kings. 

My earliest hockey memory had to be when I was about 3, watching Gretzky dominate for the Oilers... just as any true Canadian kid did back in those days. 

42 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Do you remember the RMJHL? That’s what I grew up watching locally. I remember hearing about our team taking PG’s net for warm ups and daring them to come across center to get it back. That was when Tony Twist played on the spruce kings. 

My earliest hockey memory had to be when I was about 3, watching Gretzky dominate for the Oilers... just as any true Canadian kid did back in those days. 

yes the rocky mountain junior hockey league,that league was solely 'JR. A ,unlike the pacific north west hockey league which was a mixed JR.B and senior A which meant a team could have jr.b or senior A players on the same team. but there were towns like smithers who had the smithers  nats  jr.b   (nationals) and the smithers totems sr.A     kitamat had the same the eagles sr.A  and the kitamat winterhawks jr.B   Back then players that were aged out of jr.A were being recruited to come and play and were given a job at a pulp mill or sawmill .there was quite a few players out of the whl. all of the jrB teams were affiliated with the whl , the winterhawks were a feeder team for Portland , and the Nats(who I played for)  were a feeder team for the regina Pats and the terrace centenials were a farm team for the Calgary centenials      hard to beleave this was happening up here ,way back then , attributable to the calibre of hockey at the time.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Around 1972. I used to be my Dad`s remote control. One evening, he had me change the channel to put on the game, the Habs were playing, his favourite team. I never understood hockey and wasn`t interested in it (yet), but my Dad literally held me there and forced me to watch it with him that night. Glad he did, have loved the game since.

Ahh, Peter Puck and Howey Meeker. Those were the days. I also liked Showdown during intermission when they`d have two skaters (each from a different team) compete against one of the NHL goalies. Memory is kind of foggy. 

Wowee, that name goes back quite a while. If I'm right, Howie Meeker is the oldest NHL player still alive. He turned 94 earlier this month.

Wow, some great memories flooding back.  Dawson Creek's claim to fame....indirectly of course, we had Phil Sykes who played Junior with our local team, the Kodiaks, he then went on to play university and NHL.  Another really good player that might have made it to the NHL had his career derailed by knee injuries, Ted Cousins.  

Howie Meeker....remember his analysis on HNIC, I had no idea he was still alive.  Peter Puck as well.  

Archived