The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Gagner Not Working Out -- but years left in his contract... what do they do?

gameburn

Years left in Gagner's contract.  He barely got here.  But it's clear that he's neither an impact player nor even a decent defensive player.  What do they do with him?  Virtanen needs ice time, Gaunce needs a chance to prove himself one way or another.  And new players are coming up very soon: not just Petterson next year, but Goldobin this year.  Saddled with years more of this guy, what are they going to do? 

Just now, gameburn said:

Years left in Gagner's contract.  He barely got here.  But it's clear that he's neither an impact player nor even a decent defensive player.  What do they do with him?  Virtanen needs ice time, Gaunce needs a chance to prove himself one way or another.  And new players are coming up very soon: not just Petterson next year, but Goldobin this year.  Saddled with years more of this guy, what are they going to do? 

Sadly, We suffer with him until our young guys are ready.  Still, should never have given him term.  That is NOT what a truly rebuilding team does.  

Wait.

His contract has no trade restrictions and isn't particularly damning. If he hasn't done well enough for anyone to bite at the deadline, simply hold onto him, hope he has a better second season, and if he does, move him then.

It's 3 years at roughly 3 mill per with no trade restrictions. A very easy contract to work with. Despite what some others may say, the sky is not falling.

Besides, if the twins do retire at the end of the year, we'll need someone else who can play center.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sadly, We suffer with him until our young guys are ready.  Still, should never have given him term.  That is NOT what a truly rebuilding team does.  

It will be hard to watch, and frustrating.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wait.

His contract has no trade restrictions and isn't particularly damning. If he hasn't done well enough for anyone to bite at the deadline, simply hold onto him, hope he has a better second season, and if he does, move him then.

I am so conflicted.  He was a terrific junior, and he is good with the younger players... but Goldobin... Virtanen... they need his space and toi.  

I hope you are right, and he picks up his game.  He is heading toward the Chris Higgins end of things.  Not nice.

18 minutes ago, gameburn said:

It will be hard to watch, and frustrating.

I am so conflicted.  He was a terrific junior, and he is good with the younger players... but Goldobin... Virtanen... they need his space and toi.  

I hope you are right, and he picks up his game.  He is heading toward the Chris Higgins end of things.  Not nice.

It's not like it's an Eriksson situation, where he's making massive money, has a ton of term, and a NTC. I think we'll be able to pawn him off on someone before his contract ends. Goldobin likely slots in once Vanek is gone, and, as I mentioned before, if the twins don't retire after this season, they'll retire after the next one, so we have some room coming up in pretty short order.

Out- Henrik, Daniel, Vanek

In- Goldobin, Gaudette, Pettersson

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Eat a mill of that debacle.

Maybe Gagner(at 2 mill) for Honey Badger, near deadline? Even throw in a middlish pick, if necc

Hansen isn't coming back man. I love the guy, but reacquiring the vets that we just traded for futures isn't the way to go. Lets move this ship forward, not tread water. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's not like it's an Eriksson situation, where he's making massive money, has a ton of term, and a NTC. I think we'll be able to pawn him off on someone before his contract ends. Goldobin likely slots in once Vanek is gone, and, as I mentioned before, if the twins don't retire after this season, they'll retire after the next one, so we have some room coming up in pretty short order.

Out- Henrik, Daniel, Vanek

In- Goldobin, Gaudette, Pettersson

It’s not the end of the world but it was a contract with term that didn’t need to be signed. Plenty of people called this before the signing. It’s not like Rodin couldn’t have done exactly what he’s accomplished so far and because of it we are down an asset. He’s always been inconsistent. Two years ago he was waived and it looks like it is could be heading down that road again. Gameburn summed it up nicely, it’s another higgins situation. 

as far as the many ufas signed by JB last  summer he has easily been the worst. Totally ineffective on the PP and as a  third/fourth liner 

Gag 23gp 8pts -7.    Pp time 

virt 19gp 5pts +4.    No pp time.

Brumistrov 15gp 5pts +1

3mill contract the only reason he’s not a pressbox superstar.

can’t think of any team (including us)that needs a player like this at 3mill and 3years.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I wouldn’t eat any cap but I would much rather have hansen and his work ethic teaching the young players for the remainder of this year, than gagner for 3 more years. 

Thing is we're eating 500k of Badger's cap-pie, anywhoo. With all the cap opening in summer, we can handle a mill for 2 seasons. Understand the reluctance, but I'd suggest it's reasonably debatable to upgrade from Gag-me to the Badger.

he is an average player

on an average contract

brought in mostly to help the pp

the coach and gm did not expect boeser to start the season with the canucks

and boeser has now taken his pp spot

gagner was a high draft pick and does have some skills

but he barely played 4th line in columbus

what were people really expecting from him?

i was expecting average to slightly less then average

to me he is pretty much what i expected

as one poster said we need some bodies next year if the sedins do not return

You need some veteran help on a rebuilding team, there isn't a team of U22 in the NHL.

After next year Loui, Sutter, Gagne and Dorsett are our veteran F's. All of them are sound defensively and can be effective line mates. I don't see what the big deal is in terms of Gagner specifically, he's not a liability and has always been streaky offensively. Sure he's a -7 right now but Del Zotto is a -8. Gagner also has 8 points, right around what you'd think for the 1/4 mark and is over 50% on face-offs so I don't agree with the OP theory on this one. 

We're going to have 3 more open spots for kids next year too. 

49 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s not the end of the world but it was a contract with term that didn’t need to be signed. Plenty of people called this before the signing. It’s not like Rodin couldn’t have done exactly what he’s accomplished so far and because of it we are down an asset. He’s always been inconsistent. Two years ago he was waived and it looks like it is could be heading down that road again. Gameburn summed it up nicely, it’s another higgins situation. 

But Gagne is an asset too.

I am going to go against the grain and say Gagner has value for this team.  Sure, I think there is room for criticism but I see a guy who works hard, has good talent and is a committed team player.  I firmly believe if he can get some chemistry going with whomever we will see him contribute more regularly. 

Keep in mind every player on this team makes defensive mistakes and gets tired from time to time.  It's too easy as fans to criticize athletes

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wait.

It's 3 years at roughly 3 mill per with no trade restrictions. A very easy contract to work with. Despite what some others may say, the sky is not falling.

Besides, if the twins do retire at the end of the year, we'll need someone else who can play center.

Funny, because he was so stoked to sign in Van and sink roots. 

He said exactly the same thing last year in CBJ. His pal Ryan Whitney always speaks of him like he's a prodigy. 

I have a feeling that he's here until his UFA trade deadline, and that's if someone wants a squishy PPish veteran richboy.

Archived