The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. New Jersey Devils

-Vintage Canuck-

Now that Gudbranson and Dorsett are  injured i suspect that we are going to see more liberties taken by the other side.  When your team has absolutely no deterrent what stops the other guys from pushing the envelope in the form of crashing the net, taking shots at the kids, and mugging it up in scrums after the whistle.   Lets see what happens the next few games...it should be a concern IMHO.

Horvat, Baertschi and Boeser line looked good once again, Sedins had a really nice game, Marky made a huge save, all in all it wasnt that bad of a game, thought the reffs let NJD get away with a handful of hooks, interferences, however they did miss the double minor high stick.

Thought the Gagner trip was a bit weak.

on a positive note the Lames choked in regulation 

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Now that Gudbranson and Dorsett are  injured i suspect that we are going to see more liberties taken by the other side.  When your team has absolutely no deterrent what stops the other guys from pushing the envelope in the form of crashing the net, taking shots at the kids, and mugging it up in scrums after the whistle.   Lets see what happens the next few games...it should be a concern IMHO.

Although he's not a fighter, this is Jake's time to step up. 

He's gotta bring that sandpaper. Helps keep guys honest out there.

If guys start getting run, not really anyone to turn to right now. Nilsson looks pretty mean...

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Horvat, Baertschi and Boeser line looked good once again, Sedins had a really nice game, Marky made a huge save, all in all it wasnt that bad of a game, thought the reffs let NJD get away with a handful of hooks, interferences, however they did miss the double minor high stick.

It seems that Lames allowing like 40 shots against almost every night.  I wonder where they would be without Smith standing on his head every night. Its good that they gave up all of those picks to build that D :-)

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

It seems that Lames allowing like 40 shots against almost every night.  I wonder where they would be without Smith standing on his head every night. Its good that they gave up all of those picks to build that D :-)

I'm hoping Calgary goes in a free fall and starts racking up losses. They have no 1st rounders and 2nd rounders in thanks to the Hamonic trade who's consistently been one of their worst defenseman. 

The Islanders fleeced the Albertan teams hard in the last 2 years. They get a potential top 10 pick in this years draft, a high 2nd rounder, Barzal, and more assets due to them completely screwing the Coilers and the Lamers.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm hoping Calgary goes in a free fall and starts racking up losses. They have no 1st rounders and 2nd rounders in thanks to the Hamonic trade who's consistently been one of their worst defenseman. 

The Islanders fleeced the Albertan teams hard in the last 2 years. They get a potential top 10 pick in this years draft, a high 2nd rounder, Barzal, and more assets due to them completely screwing the Coilers and the Lamers.

I think if Smith gets injured they are done.  The beauty is if they miss the playoffs they handed NYI a draft lottery ticket with that first rounder for Hamonic.  Wouldnt it be wonderful...:-)  Lames fans are melting down on Calgary Schmuk and shredding their D - Hamilton and Hamonic are their prime targets right now.

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Remember when people used to laugh at Garth Snow as a GM?  Or maybe they've gotten better because Wang is a minority owner (instead of majority owner)?

garth-snow-islanders-party.jpg

Eh,  only caught part of the game. Didn't look our best. Glad we still made game of it. Can't expect to win em all. 

Heh, on a good note it was satisfying to see " cup contending" Calgary Lames choke away a win. Even better is they gave up all their draft picks and future to get Hamonic, who has been a$$ so far. 

Can't wait till we reach our potential when our young guns are up playing. We are going to light up those Alberta teams HARD. B)

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Although he's not a fighter, this is Jake's time to step up. 

He's gotta bring that sandpaper. Helps keep guys honest out there.

If guys start getting run, not really anyone to turn to right now. Nilsson looks pretty mean...

It's hard to step up with less than 10 minutes of ice time on the average, stepping up sometimes comes with a penalty for being too aggressive or even majors.

It's tough with limited ice time palying with the Sedins.

26 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I don't understand why Jake won't hit, been defending him for a while but starting to get irritating. Also what happened to his accuracy. He was a snipe show in his draft year, even his backhand was deadly. 

He he needs to get off the Sedin line.

"He he needs to get off the Sedin line."
Who will be doing the skating, puck retrieval, and back-checking then?  It will get there.  He needs a bounce.

30 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Time to bring up Labate.

15 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

11 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nilsson deserves more starts.

Daniel Bo Boeser

Baer Hank Virtanen

Eriksson Gran Vanek

Gaunce Sutter Biega

After Daniel hits 1,000 pts, sometimes flip him & Baer

Send Gagner down to the farm to pick berries.

From mid-season, give Arch, Labate & MacEwan cracks at it. Will need more size/attitude in the 2nd half.

My takeaways are as follows.

1. It is not often that my headline would feature an opposing player, but I have to say that I still really like Schneider. He played a good game and I really liked his interview after the game. He talked about Danny closing in on 1000 pts and just comes across as a really decent guy. If I had the trade to do over again (trading Schneider for the pick the Canucks used to draft Horvat) I guess I would do it again as Horvat is an excellent young player and also seems like a great guy. But I would love to have both guys on the team.

2. As for the Canucks, Gagner was slow on the backcheck on the first NJ goal and played poorly overall. Hutton made two mistakes on the second NJ goal and also had a disappointing game.

3. The biggest hole on the team is team toughness. With both Guddy and Dorsett out the Canucks are just a very soft team. I agree with @Nuxfanabroad that in the circumstances I would play Biega as a forward. He is not likely to score but he will make hits, play with intensity, defend teammates, and play solid defence. Also, if Guddy is going to be out for any length of time I would bring up MacEwen. The Canucks just have to have more team toughness.

4. On the plus side, Horvat had a nice goal and played a solid game (with more than 20 mins in ice time). Boeser seemed a bit quiet tonight but still got on the board with an assist. He is just one of those guys which such great puck skills (shooting, passing, receiving the puck, stickhandling) and such a high hockey IQ that he just can't help generating points.

5. Finally, nice to see the Sedins continue to play well. They have had a very good road trip so far and now looking like legitimate second liners in terms of performance, although their minutes are low, as they should be. I like the way Green is handling the Sedins with limited minutes so they can play at their best for the entire game.

Overall, it was disappointing to lose but the Canucks did not really play a bad game. Just one of those road losses where the team with the better goalie wins. Not that Marky was to blame for the goals, but Schneider was very good at the other end. And I would give Nilsson the next start.

Canucks did not look focused for most of the game... they looked like the previous back to back was catching up with them.

I'm a little concerned about Boeser, he was drifting around as if he was in a daze after the Hall hit... I hope they give him a concussion test... would hate to see him be put on the ice next game not at 100%... in fact I wonder if they should have sat him for most of the 3rd period.

Good to see Bo get back putting goals in the net, that was a great move he put on Schneider who is not easy to beat from that distance.

Generally good return for Stecher... Tanev though was not up to his standard level... might take him a little while to get his A game back.

Markstrom had a generally good game, but he didn't get the support he needed from the defense.

Here's my biggest observation:

I'm a big fan of Jake, but he is not working out with the Sedins.  Not saying the team should give up on him, but I think Daniel and Henrik need a more creative and experienced partner who can score.  I think they should put Granlund with the Sedins... Virtanen should drop down to the Vanek line and Eriksson should go with Gaunce/Sutter.

I believe Granlund is being wasted playing where he is.... he is a talented offensive player who can shoot the puck but he is not getting the chances he needs while he plays on what is a checking line.  The 19 goals he got last year were not a fluke... when he plays alongside creative linemates he can generate goals.

13 minutes ago, 6string said:

I thought the same as well, put him with the Sedins for 10 minutes a game which gives Virtanen more ice team on another line!

You are assuming Jake stays in the lineup.  Who would he bump?  The only player I could see him bumping is Gagner, and that puts him on the defensive line, where I'm sure Green doesn't want him. Besides, Gagner kills penalties and Virtanen doesn't.  Plus, Gagner is a high paid veteran, and he'll get a lot more leeway than an underwhelming rookie.  You don't break up the Horvat or Granlund lines as they're playing well.  You don't start breaking up lines in order to find a place for Virtanen to play because he has yet to earn it.  Sometimes fringe players and young players have to change their game in order to fit in.  Sometimes young guys have to catch the coach's eye by laying a few big hits or standing up for a teammate, and so far Jake hasn't done any of that.  Honestly, I think Virtanen's about two more games away from a trip to Utica.     

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks did not look focused for most of the game... they looked like the previous back to back was catching up with them.

I'm a little concerned about Boeser, he was drifting around as if he was in a daze after the Hall hit... I hope they give him a concussion test... would hate to see him be put on the ice next game not at 100%... in fact I wonder if they should have sat him for most of the 3rd period.

Good to see Bo get back putting goals in the net, that was a great move he put on Schneider who is not easy to beat from that distance.

Generally good return for Stecher... Tanev though was not up to his standard level... might take him a little while to get his A game back.

Markstrom had a generally good game, but he didn't get the support he needed from the defense.

Here's my biggest observation:

I'm a big fan of Jake, but he is not working out with the Sedins.  Not saying the team should give up on him, but I think Daniel and Henrik need a more creative and experienced partner who can score.  I think they should put Granlund with the Sedins... Virtanen should drop down to the Vanek line and Eriksson should go with Gaunce/Sutter.

I believe Granlund is being wasted playing where he is.... he is a talented offensive player who can shoot the puck but he is not getting the chances he needs while he plays on what is a checking line.  The 19 goals he got last year were not a fluke... when he plays alongside creative linemates he can generate goals.

Granlund would get less ice time with the Sedins though, that's the problem.

Eriksson is the obvious linemate ( though he looks better of late ) with the Sedins.

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

You are assuming Jake stays in the lineup.  Who would he bump?  The only player I could see him bumping is Gagner, and that puts him on the defensive line, where I'm sure Green doesn't want him. Besides, Gagner kills penalties and Virtanen doesn't.  Plus, Gagner is a high paid veteran, and he'll get a lot more leeway than an underwhelming rookie.  You don't break up the Horvat or Granlund lines as they're playing well.  You don't start breaking up lines in order to find a place for Virtanen to play because he has yet to earn it.  Sometimes fringe players and young players have to change their game in order to fit in.  Sometimes young guys have to catch the coach's eye by laying a few big hits or standing up for a teammate, and so far Jake hasn't done any of that.  Honestly, I think Virtanen's about two more games away from a trip to Utica.     

I thought Virtanen would be in Utica before this road trip actually, there is nothing to be gained from 15 games of less than 10 minutes a game.

Archived