The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com article] Daniel Sedin on verge of 1,000 points

Rubik

https://www.nhl.com/news/canucks-daniel-sedin-nearing-1000-points/c-293351402?tid=277548856

Daniel Sedin on verge of 1,000 points

Two away from joining brother Henrik Sedin as only players to reach milestone with Canucks

by Mike G. Morreale @mikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer

NEWARK, N.J. -- Daniel Sedin will have a chance at history when the Vancouver Canucks play the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Sunday (2 p.m. ET; SN, MSG, NHL.TV).

The forward, who has 998 points (375 goals, 623 points) in 17 seasons with Vancouver, can join his twin brother, Henrik Sedin, as the only other player to score 1,000 points playing for the Canucks.

But don't expect a big celebration from Daniel when it he gets two more points.

"When [the record] happens, it happens," the 37-year-old, who had a goal and an assist in a 3-2 loss against the New Jersey Devils on Friday, said. "I think this year is obviously a little different with my role on the team so it can happen next game or happen in six games but we'll take it when it happens."

His teammates likely won't be as subdued.

"I'll be pretty pumped and celebrating hard when he gets it," forward Jake Virtanen said. "Both Sedins are legends and people don't give them the credit they deserve but they've played a lot of tough games. When together, they're almost unstoppable with how they pass to each other; it's pretty special to watch."

In addition to Henrik Sedin, five active players have reached 1,000 points: Jaromir Jagr of the Calgary Flames, Joe Thornton of the San Jose Sharks, Patrick Marleau of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals, and Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I've said a lot of times [Daniel and Henrik Sedin] are Hall of Fame hockey players and Hall of Fame people," Canucks first-year coach Travis Green said. "[Daniel Sedin] is going to get those two points, we know that, and it'll be a nice accomplishment. He's been in the League a long time and has done a lot of great things."

Daniel's best season came in 2010-11, his 10th in the League. He won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL scoring leader with 104 points (41 goals, 63 assists). However, the Canucks have gone to a younger and faster lineup under Green, and as a result the Sedins have seen their ice time diminish; Daniel averaged 18:03 last season and is averaging 14:02 this season, Henrik averaged 19:02 last season and is averaging 14:05 this season. But they still make the most of every opportunity.

"They're not playing as much as they once were but just having been around them and what they mean for that franchise and that city, it has always been the twins," said Devils goalie Corey Schneider, who spent five seasons in Vancouver before he was traded to New Jersey on June 30, 2013. "That kind of consistency and the way you represent your team and organization means a lot, so I think they could be Hall of Famers one day."

When Henrik scored his 1,000th NHL point against the Florida Panthers on Jan. 21 last season, a goal on which Daniel assisted, he became the 38th player to do so with one franchise and the fourth Sweden-born player to reach the milestone, joining Mats Sundin (1,349), Daniel Alfredsson (1,157) and Nicklas Lidstrom (1,142).  

Henrik scored his 1,000th point (233 goals, 767 assists) in his 1,213th game in his 16th season and has 1,031 points (239 goals, 792 assists) in 1,271 games. 

"When it happened to me, I don't think I realized how big a thing it was until it happened, and I'm sure it'll be the same for him," he said.

Schneider said that although Daniel will reach the milestone, he will remember him and his brother more for what kind of people they were on and off the ice. 

"They are two guys who didn't have it easy," Schneider said. "I've read the stories of them as teenagers and in their early 20's and how people questioned whether they could play and were tough enough. But here they are, 16 years later, one over 1,000 points and the other on the verge of getting there.

"I know they don't consider what kind of person you are when they look at your numbers," Schneider said, "but Daniel and Henrik are two of the best people I've played with in this game and I think that's unanimous around the League."

Daniel, taken by the Canucks with the No. 2 pick in the 1999 NHL Draft -- Henrik was No. 3 -- was appreciative when told of Schneider's comments.

"It means a lot," Daniel said. " Because when you leave this game it's not so much what you do on the ice, but the impressions you left."

I hope he scores his 1000th point on Henrik's assist. :goat:s

As these guys hit these milestones it really makes me reflect on how special they truly are.    It's a reminder to all those coming up in the ranks of how hard work and dedication can pay off and to play the game with integrity and skill (versus dirty cheap shots that put others at risk).  Guys like the Sedins bring the league a level of professionalism and respect that it truly needs.  This team has been connected to some black marks over time but the Sedins will remind people of what the Canucks are really about. 

His teammates likely won't be as subdued.

"I'll be pretty pumped and celebrating hard when he gets it," forward Jake Virtanen said

Love that they can inspire the young guys, who get to absorb some of the feeling of how hard work can pay off.  No better way to lead than by example.  GO DANIEL!

17 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Although its always hard seeing guys like Lu, Schneider, Hansen, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, etc. getting traded away, one of the good things that comes out of it is the fact that they spread around the league just how great the Sedins are as people and players.

This is so true. It's taken absurdly long, but with the trading of so many of our core players from 2011, the level of respect for them around the league has finally risen to a high level.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

As these guys hit these milestones it really makes me reflect on how special they truly are.    It's a reminder to all those coming up in the ranks of how hard work and dedication can pay off and to play the game with integrity and skill (versus dirty cheap shots that put others at risk).  Guys like the Sedins bring the league a level of professionalism and respect that it truly needs.  This team has been connected to some black marks over time but the Sedins will remind people of what the Canucks are really about. 

Love that they can inspire the young guys, who get to absorb some of the feeling of how hard work can pay off.  No better way to lead than by example.  GO DANIEL!

It's amazing just how little respect Hank & Daniel get around the league (including from the officials).  Truly embarrassing.  I could understand if either player was a dirty player themselves & the refs just "look the other way" because of that; but they're as classy on the ice as off the ice.

For all the flac they've taken this year, sometimes you just gotta stand back and remember what they've done for this team, the fans, and the city of Vancouver.

I remember scoffing with everyone else when we used #2 And #3 to draft a couple chubby faced redhead twins.. watching them try to play keep away, and then watching them play keep away... And then witnessing them master keep away, to within 1 game of winning it all. 

I for one wouldn't be devastated if they re-signed for a year to play 3rd line and mentor the youth - a season with the Sedins would probly be amazing for Peterssons development. 

Cheers to 17 great years, and 2 great careers that will be synonymous with the Canucks long after they're gone.

henrik_daniel_sedin.jpg

Daniel should achieve the rare milestone of 400 goals and 600 assists ( which he already has) if they decide to play one more season, which used to be the automatic bye into the HHOF.   Given their careers started in the middle of the dead puck era, and that they produced admirably during it ( and exploded out of it), and that he's known for his game winners and Hanks known for his masterful passing of which only Thornton can match during the same span, these guys are shoo-ins IMO when the Hall comes calling.

World Championships and a  Olympic Gold Medal also help, plus hardware as the best in the league.  

I love how Green is deploying them, how the PP is producing with the addition of Boeser, and how the season is going.  It's so much better than another down year, hopefully it revitalizes them and Pettersson gets a chance to learn from them before they hang it up.  Great post, thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's amazing just how little respect Hank & Daniel get around the league (including from the officials).  Truly embarrassing.  I could understand if either player was a dirty player themselves & the refs just "look the other way" because of that; but they're as classy on the ice as off the ice.

Around the league?

It's been bad enough on this forum recently.

2 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

It pisses me off how little respect these two legends get from the rest of the league. They are amazing players and I will be sad when they finally hang them up.

I think these two HOF locks get plenty of respect among the vast majority of other NHL players/coaches/management but you are right about the fanbases.  I have the majority of my family/friends that are in Canada in either Ontario or Alberta - while they all seem to get the value of these two, they say that the lack of knowledge about these two stars of the game in their Provinces is astonishing.   Even when they were beating the Flames, Leafs and Oilers like cheap drum sets for better part of a decade in all three cases, there seemed to be a "whatever, they cycle" followed by some idiot and immature Swede/homophobic joke.    

Vancouver is lucky to have had perhaps the two classiest stars in all of sport for the better part of the past 15 years all to themselves.   It is no accident that the first thing said by former teammates is about their work ethic/character - and that can rub off on the younger players big time.   I am one (minority?) who hopes that they can come up with some form of a low AAV contract for one or two more years to help the EPs and such adapt to being a true NHL professional - even if they play 10-12 minutes a game in the process.   I think the more prospects and young NHLers that get a chance to be in the room with these guys, the better and brighter the future of the Canuck franchise will be.

Archived