The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks call up Goldobin

86Viking

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is there a threat of Goldy going to the KHL? Or is this just paranoia because he's Russian? I doubt that Goldobin plays while he's up, because he's not really ready. If he was, he would be on the team. This to me, seems more of a pat on the back, get him back with the Canucks, team atmosphere to encourage him to keep improving. Holm and Goldobin are temporary insurance, in case a regular gets injured.

I think I'm right on this?  Both Goldy and his agent said he will absolutely complete his contract, but after that?  

3 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Why on earth would the Canucks trade either Granlund or Baertschi?  They are quickly becoming keys to the future of this lineup.  Baer looks better every game, he is certainly playing like a first-round draft choice.  He has helped make the #2 PP a threat, he's playing a terrific 200-foot game, and he makes Brock and Bo better too.  Granlund is the Swiss Army Knife of this team, he excels no matter where he plays, and he always makes his linemates better.  The only thing I wish about Granlund is that he played a little harder game, but you can't have everything.  The Sedins likely retire at the end of the year, Gagner, Burmistrov, and Vanek are place-holders, and at least one will likely be gone next season, which will open three spaces for players like Goldy, Gaudette, etc. to compete.  Utica doesn't exactly look like a powerhouse, so there likely aren't many prospects down there who will play a future top-six role.

Well if you read my comment again, and look at it real hard, you see the word "IF"

My whole thought process was let Goldobin play an offensive role on a line that can show case his talents to see "IF" he is actually a candidate for a left wing job, regardless of whether Baer or Granlund stay or leave

We have a bushel of LW candidates, that will appear over the next few years..........don't get married to either Baer or Granlund or anyone else for that matter.

Consider having Virtanen, Eriksson, Granlund, Gaunce, Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Lind, and even Gaudette who could all be LWers. At some point you have to know....that is if Danny retires, or we don't sign E. Kane

We got married to the Sedin's, now we are watching them decline........rapidly...........we have to know what we have, and their values, and abilities

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think that playing on a checking line is where a player like Goldobin will find success.

have a tendency to agree. he needs to be given a more offensive role to showcase what he can do. 

3 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

get with the times 

The reason Goldy still resides in Utica is because of his weak defensive game.   I notice that Goldy has spent some time on the Comets checking line this season, which is the perfect place for him to improve his defensive game.  After all, the AHL is a training league, isn't it?

Green often says he wants his players playing 'the right way'.  He wants them to be competent in all areas on the ice.  Once G's d game is at an acceptable level, I think he will get his opportunity to join the Canucks; as an offensive player.

I would rather wait for him to develop his game more than watch him struggling on a checking line with Sutter and Granlund.

3 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

get with the times 

The reason Goldy still resides in Utica is because of his weak defensive game.   I notice that Goldy has spent some time on the Comets checking line this season, which is the perfect place for him to improve his defensive game.  After all, the AHL is a training league, isn't it?

Green often says he wants his players playing 'the right way'.  He wants them to be competent in all areas on the ice.  Once G's d game is at an acceptable level, I think he will get his opportunity to join the Canucks; as an offensive player.

I would rather wait for him to develop his game more than watch him struggling on a checking line with Sutter and Granlund.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, higgyfan said:

Don't you think scoring goals is necessary for winning? Or for showing off a possible trade asset?

Green says what every coach in the league says, is his insight something new? One thing for sure is he shows when he has no confidence in the player(s). It is just that this is the NHL and some players are staying here regardless of what he thinks, they aren't worried about their jobs and on this team, likely not too concerned with the idea of winning the cup. Why should the established players hurt themselves to not make the playoffs? Their bodies are their "business" of hockey. Euros grow up learning and, for the most part, are more concerned with winning the Worlds or Olympics than an unattainable cup. Russians and Fins seem to be a little more concerned with the cup though.

As far an acceptable level, in Europe he already is acceptable, so maybe he just isn't suited to the NA game.

Anyway he got paid extra to watch the team lose two games, enlightening I am sure.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Don't you think scoring goals is necessary for winning? Or for showing off a possible trade asset?

Green says what every coach in the league says, is his insight something new? One thing for sure is he shows when he has no confidence in the player(s). It is just that this is the NHL and some players are staying here regardless of what he thinks, they aren't worried about their jobs and on this team, likely not too concerned with the idea of winning the cup. Why should the established players hurt themselves to not make the playoffs? Their bodies are their "business" of hockey. Euros grow up learning and, for the most part, are more concerned with winning the Worlds or Olympics than an unattainable cup. Russians and Fins seem to be a little more concerned with the cup though.

As far an acceptable level, in Europe he already is acceptable, so maybe he just isn't suited to the NA game.

Anyway he got paid extra to watch the team lose two games, enlightening I am sure.

I think the Nucks management is too obsessed with the "two way" play requirement.  Yes players need to learn to be responsible defensively but this team's lack of offensive finish is startling.  The old saying is that a good defense is a strong offense.  WE do not generate nearly enough offensive pressure and that puts too much pressure on our D requiring our forwards to be better at defense as well.  We need more balance and for that we need more offensive talent pressuring and creating scoring opportunities that tire out the other team and keep us out of our own end. 

Let Goldy show his stuff offensively and let him learn the D side overt time.  He has a good attitude and wants to learn so in time he should pick up the areas of his game that are lacking.

20 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think the Nucks management is too obsessed with the "two way" play requirement.  Yes players need to learn to be responsible defensively but this team's lack of offensive finish is startling.  The old saying is that a good defense is a strong offense.  WE do not generate nearly enough offensive pressure and that puts too much pressure on our D requiring our forwards to be better at defense as well.  We need more balance and for that we need more offensive talent pressuring and creating scoring opportunities that tire out the other team and keep us out of our own end. 

Let Goldy show his stuff offensively and let him learn the D side overt time.  He has a good attitude and wants to learn so in time he should pick up the areas of his game that are lacking.

I agree, that is why lines are made. Remember the West Coast Express, Naslund and Bertuzzi were criticized for their defensive play so, presto, along comes Morrison and a line is born. They still weren't fantastic defensively but then most of their game ended up in the offensive zone with Morrison being the more defensive forward. Naslund and Big Bert got better defensively the more time on the ice.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I agree, that is why lines are made. Remember the West Coast Express, Naslund and Bertuzzi were criticized for their defensive play so, presto, along comes Morrison and a line is born. They still weren't fantastic defensively but then most of their game ended up in the offensive zone with Morrison being the more defensive forward. Naslund and Big Bert got better defensively the more time on the ice.

Yup.  Classic example is the sedins...They are slow and often hemmed in their own end.  Their back check is so slow, it requires a fast and responaible linemate.  Their forechecking is the same yet they are our best ever offensive line.  If they had been forced to develop a 200' game before playing in the NHL, they would possibly have never made it.  Same with Yzerman...He learned how to play defense after he established himself as a scorer.  

This team lacks offense and goal scoring talent.  Just look how a rookie like Boeser has impacted this club.  Give our offensive kids a chance.

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

As a team, the Canucks are 20th in goals for and 15th in goals against.  Up from 29th in goals for and 25th in goals against last year.  They're trending in the right direction.

What I think is more interesting is where the goals are coming from.  That is, not from the defense.  4 out of 68 (5.9%) so far this year.  In 2011-11 we saw 41 out of 258 (15.9%) or almost 1 in 6.

43 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

As a team, the Canucks are 20th in goals for and 15th in goals against.  Up from 29th in goals for and 25th in goals against last year.  They're trending in the right direction.

V

What I think is more interesting is where the goals are coming from.  That is, not from the defense.  4 out of 68 (5.9%) so far this year.  In 2011-11 we saw 41 out of 258 (15.9%) or almost 1 in 6.

Interesting stat, though, after watching our d miss the net from 10' on grade a chances or shoot into shinpads consistently, it is not overly surprising.  Still need more dynamic offensive players up front that can create space and time as well as capitalize on chances. 

Archived