The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gabriel Landeskog suspended 4 games

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I mean if it had to happen to anyone...

Still, definitely an illegal cross-check. Four games sounds right given his history (one three-game suspension two seasons ago) and the hit.

it was for sure, but to me it seems like he took a little something off because he was reaching a lot more on the 2nd cross check, and to me it seemed like Tkatpuk dropped pretty easily. On the other hand you don't want to see more of this kind of thing. 

And this is the guy that wanted to 'talk concussions' in the players' tribune. I said it then, I will say it again... that players' tribune article was trash because if you want to talk concussions you will talk about getting plays like this out of hockey. What a hypocrite.

10 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Hate this kid all you guys want, but this kid gets his team more powerplays than penalties. 

Now he just conned the Avs captain into a penalty and 4 game suspension. 

2nd in the NHL among players with 10 or more games in penalties drawn/60 minutes at 2.90. He takes 1.16 penalties per 60 mins. Definitely does his job well.

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tkachuk is becoming a hated player around the league, like Boeser is becoming known for his wicked shot and goal scoring.

He is ... but he's really getting under oppositions skin. I've watched my fair share of Calgary games this year... and even when he's not scoring, he's getting involved and drawing penalties. 

If we had him and Brock on the team today, I think we'd be cup favourites. 

Not to say that I don't think we are cup favourites. I just mean the general audience.  

4 seems a little light, but when you compare it to the measly 10 games that Gudas got for his 2 hander over the back of the head of Perrault, it actually seems about right.  That's simply looking at consistency (never thought I'd use that word when discussing a suspension)  

4 games is a lot for that imo.  Now, the narrator said, according the the CBA, Landeskog is no longer considered a repeat offender so this suspension should stand on it's own and it doesn't need to escalate from anything previous.  I think is is suspendable.  Call it a direct blow to the head, 3 games + 0 for not being a repeat offender.

I've ranted on here about weak or non-existent suspensions handed out by the league before.  I just want some consistency in the suspensions.  You do this, you get that.  If this is a repeat offense, the suspension is A + B + etc.  What are the comparables?  Make it simple and make it just and players will modify their behavior. 

I've said this before, get lawyers in there to make the rulings.  Why does it have to be done by ex-players?  I'm afraid the number is just arbitrary and made up on a case by case basis.   

On a $6M salary, that's $292,683 fwiw

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

How do you come up with that number?  Isn't it just 6M divided by 82 times 4?

$5,571,429 (his annual average salary) divided by 186 (number of days in the season) multiplied by 4 (number of games suspended).

If he was a repeat offender, then you would divide it by 82.

Archived