The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins ice time inching back up

*Buzzsaw*

Maybe it was just this last game vs the Rangers and coaching matchups, maybe Green is reading them as having chemistry with Eriksson, but the Sedins definitely had a lot more ice time than average.

And only approx. 1:00 of the approx. 18:00 for the twins was PP time.

I think they played well, but at the same time, I would prefer to see them stay around the 15:00 minute mark.

I think they are more effective defensively when they are rested and I also think they are hungrier when they get less time.

Play them big minutes and they will burn out... and by the end of the season they will be dragging their tails around.

Prefer to see this new Granlund/Gaunce/Virtanen line a little more.

52 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

If you earn it, you will play. Isn't that what you want in a head coach? They have been our best line on this road trip.

They are 37 and it showed in the last game in the third where they often looked gassed.  Playing well means being fresh and their minutes need to be managed to reflect their age.  WE have seen them drop off drastically in the second half of the last few seasons as WD played them like they were still in their prime.  I hope Green will not make the same mistake.

Their ice-time hasn't been consistent - it has been up and down each game. However, so far this season, Henrik played the most minutes last game, while Daniel played the most minutes against the Devils two games ago. I think the increase has to do with how the team has been playing in general. Sedins have looked good in the past little while, especially with Eriksson last game, and I see why there would be an increase there with Green rewarding them with more minutes.

A product of the lesser average ice time is that they’ve drawn lesser matchups, thus easing into more minutes should mean better opportunities for them.  

Nice to to see some more consistency from their production lately.  I was all but ready to write them off, but the last 8 or so games they’ve been quite good.  I am happy for them!

Well, Sutter and Dorsett are out, who used to eat up 17 to 18 minutes a night on a regular basis. So those minutes need to be distributed across the roster and Sedins with Eriksson have played well enough together to earn a big chunk of those minutes. 

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They're tryin' to get Daniel's 1K..but then it's shocking. I heard they're gonna waive one of 'em. It's just not fair!

I am sure you are just joking!!!!!!!!!    NOT enough exclamation marks though . . .   So I added a few for you . . .

7 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

They are 37 and it showed in the last game in the third where they often looked gassed.  Playing well means being fresh and their minutes need to be managed to reflect their age.  WE have seen them drop off drastically in the second half of the last few seasons as WD played them like they were still in their prime.  I hope Green will not make the same mistake.

My thoughts exactly!  It must be tempting for the coach to play them more when they're playing well.  But we've seen them burn out by midseason the last couple of years after good starts.  So Green will have to be smart about it and keep them fresh through the whole season and for the playoffs!

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Their ice-time hasn't been consistent - it has been up and down each game. However, so far this season, Henrik played the most minutes last game, while Daniel played the most minutes against the Devils two games ago. I think the increase has to do with how the team has been playing in general. Sedins have looked good in the past little while, especially with Eriksson last game, and I see why there would be an increase there with Green rewarding them with more minutes.

the Dobber hockey pool site tracks the game by game stats if you want to see the swings in ice time, they're pretty big: http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=1516&games=2017-2018:R

Like you say their ice time has been up and down all season. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they played 11 minutes tonight if Green see's another line doing well. 

if you look at the more recent trends with the sedins since the torts year

it shows that they fade badly the last part of the season

they simply stop producing

if they get some games at higher minutes these days that is not a huge concern

if that persists they will simply wear down

they have also shown a propensity to be injured in january / february in recent years

both of these factors have coincided with the team plummeting from playoff position in these months the past seasons

7 hours ago, khay said:

Well, Sutter and Dorsett are out, who used to eat up 17 to 18 minutes a night on a regular basis. So those minutes need to be distributed across the roster and Sedins with Eriksson have played well enough together to earn a big chunk of those minutes. 

Good take on the situation. I really don't like seeing their ice go over 15 minutes. If I see them out there in the last 2 minutes of a tight game I will blow a gasket. 

Even adjusted for usage (offensive zone faceoffs, quality of teammates/competition, score effects, venue, etc), the Sedins have had some of the best underlying numbers on this team all season.

And now with them enjoying better results, in terms of on-ice scoring (for and against), they are also providing the team with a solid +3.28 GF% Rel (and it’s trending upwards).

They might not be the offensive leaders who carry this team anymore, but their fancy stats dominance continues to prop up the overall team numbers, and their strong possession game still forces the opposition to play a lot of tough minutes hemmed in their own zone.

The twins have been good this year and they deserve their minutes. They are providing solid secondary scoring while also helping to wear down defenses and “soften up” the opposition for the “Killer Bees” line.

Obviously, at their age, the Sedins still need to see their icetime managed. And I expect they’ll play a bit less once this team gets a bit more healthy. But the twins remain a pretty good option whenever Green needs a line to step up (at least in the short term) and carry a greater share of the TOI/G.

Archived