The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Millennial job interview

UnkNuk

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

To be fair, if social media skills were required for the job he would likely have mentioned it instead of appearing dumbfounded by her awareness of "technology".

Without knowing what the job was or what the company does it’s impossible to say whether or not the social media prowess would be valuable. 

That said, as much as the video was hyperbolic it definitely has some large nuggets of truth. Tough to defend my generation in some regards. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Without knowing what the job was or what the company does it’s impossible to say whether or not the social media prowess would be valuable. 

That said, as much as the video was hyperbolic it definitely has some large nuggets of truth. Tough to defend my generation in some regards. 

I'll give you that. 

As societal elites run this whole sh*t-show into the ground, appears to me diff generations are just one more big chunk of society they'd prefer divided & conquered.

Saw this skit on zerohedge..meh, rather predictable & cliched.

I don't put much stock(nor thought) into tech; & for the state of today, young people have my sympathy.

my buddie greg is a longshoreman ,he's raised 2 boys by him self he's also high enough on the callout board he was able to get both his sons numbers in the hall. the 2 boys are gamers ,that's all they've ever done. there on the verge of losing their position of callout because they cant,wont pull themselves away from gaming. greg will come home from work only to have his boys ask him to micro wave them some hotdogs ,because  they don't know how. 19 and 21years old  repectively. but mentally no more than 9 and 11 the whole concept of work doesn't exsist    .its takin greg over 25 yrs to reach A board and he pulls an easy 200k but still he cant get thru to them with ,with regards to their futures. nor do they seem to care. but yet have a conversation with either of them and its pretty clear they seem to think they have the answer for everything.

Meh, it all depends on their upbringing.

At my company many of our entry positions in the warehouse are filled by 'millenials' and i've seen both good and bad.  Some of them are no different than a kid of any generation trying to make a good impression on the boss....they show up early, stay late when asked and work hard, no problems.

I have also seen the other fairly often.  School (or home, or both) has not prepared them for a real workplace environment with deadlines and restrictions on what you can and can't do while on shift.   They usually wash out fast, but some do shape up when faced with some actual adversity in life.

Can't help but notice they made her act out the traits of a millennial as though she was also a valley girl from the 80's.   

I've always wondered,  does the world look like it's constantly  falling apart through the eyes of the previous generation of society?  

5 minutes ago, PlanB said:

I've always wondered,  does the world look like it's constantly  falling apart through the eyes of the previous generation of society?  

Probably too broad a question, as there are places in the world that don’t have the privilege and “non issues” that North Americans and Western Europeans have. Many places where they are still fighting for basic (and I mean the most basic) human rights that we take for granted. 

But as far as North Americans go? Yeah. Each generation likes to complain about the next one. The fact that that’s a “problem” we have. That we have the luxury and time to view the next generation and complain about them, is one that we should count ourselves lucky to have.

But millennials do suck. The absolutely worst.

my wife helps a lot of science and tech grads get their first jobs, and one of the biggest things she sees is millennials confusing social media networking with professional networking. She had one this week that was pretty depressed at the idea of having to go out and network in person at after work events to find a good job, she thought she could do it online :picard: 

On 11/29/2017 at 5:44 AM, Industrious1 said:

Meh, it all depends on their upbringing.

At my company many of our entry positions in the warehouse are filled by 'millenials' and i've seen both good and bad.  Some of them are no different than a kid of any generation trying to make a good impression on the boss....they show up early, stay late when asked and work hard, no problems.

I have also seen the other fairly often.  School (or home, or both) has not prepared them for a real workplace environment with deadlines and restrictions on what you can and can't do while on shift.   They usually wash out fast, but some do shape up when faced with some actual adversity in life.

My experience as well. I have held management positions in the past in both the hospitality industry and retail. I have had some excellent young employees and some that were complete disasters. Even upbringing doesn't account for everything. I've had kids working for me that were good employees, despite coming from a poor home environment and vice versa.

I used to see a lot of the traits in that video in my youngest daughter, but now when I see her at her place of employment, I find myself impressed by her work ethic.

In the end, it all really comes down to the individual and whether they're driven to succeed or not.

9 hours ago, chon derry said:

my buddie greg is a longshoreman ,he's raised 2 boys by him self he's also high enough on the callout board he was able to get both his sons numbers in the hall. the 2 boys are gamers ,that's all they've ever done. there on the verge of losing their position of callout because they cant,wont pull themselves away from gaming. greg will come home from work only to have his boys ask him to micro wave them some hotdogs ,because  they don't know how. 19 and 21years old  repectively. but mentally no more than 9 and 11 the whole concept of work doesn't exsist    .its takin greg over 25 yrs to reach A board and he pulls an easy 200k but still he cant get thru to them with ,with regards to their futures. nor do they seem to care. but yet have a conversation with either of them and its pretty clear they seem to think they have the answer for everything.

First mistake.

best intention.  But he handed them an easy high paying job.

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

First mistake.

best intention.  But he handed them an easy high paying job.

therein lies the whole lack of understanding of the work concept or how the work concept equites to a good paycheque. tough on a single parent who usually in that position would have financial problems ,but in gregs case it seems it was not enough time was spent with them , and throwing money at the over grown self intitled babies was the only thing he thought he could do.

Archived