The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Millennial job interview

UnkNuk

12 hours ago, PlanB said:

Can't help but notice they made her act out the traits of a millennial as though she was also a valley girl from the 80's.   

I've always wondered,  does the world look like it's constantly  falling apart through the eyes of the previous generation of society?  

Probably. I'm already disappointed with the current wave of high-schoolers and they're only 8-11 years younger than me.

17 hours ago, chon derry said:

therein lies the whole lack of understanding of the work concept or how the work concept equites to a good paycheque. tough on a single parent who usually in that position would have financial problems ,but in gregs case it seems it was not enough time was spent with them , and throwing money at the over grown self intitled babies was the only thing he thought he could do.

Yeah he's in a tough spot without a doubt.  That situation has no easy answers and while I pointed out what I consider a mistake, from my position that's a bit easy and maybe unfair to do.  We all try and do what's right and best but sometimes what's right and best may not be the easier route.

some people are born with work ethic/drive but most aren't.

On 2017-11-28 at 9:28 PM, Sean Monahan said:

To be fair, social media prowess could be invaluable and likely a skill the old timers wouldn’t possess.

If you're applying for a communications position, yes. 

I've had some colleagues in the millennium generation come and go in the last couple of years, and some good ones stay. It's parenting, imo. Some get handed everything since they were young whereas others are taught to work hard for everything. 

God that was terrible.  I can see what they were trying to do but that was some atrocious acting. 

Signed,

A guy that missed out on being an American millennial by 33 days.

PS Snowflake generation, I'd hate to be you!

57 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I've had some colleagues in the millennium generation come and go in the last couple of years, and some good ones stay. It's parenting, imo. Some get handed everything since they were young whereas others are taught to work hard for everything. 

This is what I find kinda funny about all the millennial criticism- the generation that does the bulk of it is the same generation that raised them. 

8 hours ago, Violator said:

Every generation bashes the newest generation.while the current or previous generation is mostly to blame for the downfall of social norms.

The previous generation is so quick to bash the current one without realizing they raised the current one. Maybe they ought to look at themselves instead of being whiny little twits, y'know. 

On 11/29/2017 at 7:04 AM, PlanB said:

Can't help but notice they made her act out the traits of a millennial as though she was also a valley girl from the 80's.   

I've always wondered,  does the world look like it's constantly  falling apart through the eyes of the previous generation of society?  

i am very mindful of this assessment

and constantly remind myself that my views of what works and is valuable is different from the previous generations

and different from the generations after me

they/we all have valuable contributions to make

and often it is the failure to identify those contributions that creates some sort of gap

since on the differences which are not valuable are highlighted

i like to remind the older generations that whatever flaws my generation and younger generations might have

we have not been directly involved in any war

i am one of the few historically that can say my life has not been directly touched by war and is unlikely to be in the future

the current focus on technology and electronic communication devices has less value to me then many younger people

but that technology clearly has a lot of value

the gap that has developed for me is my lack of appreciation for the obsession with electronic communication devices

and i shake my head about what i observe in public places, buses, and particularly restaurants.  .people in social situations buried head down on their phone communicating with people not present and seemingly ignoring those who are

i am concerned social skills have to be eroding as a result

time will tell

8 hours ago, Barnorth said:

The less people want to work hard, the more work there is for those who do. 

Straight talk Barnorth.

i could care less if im surrounded by slackers.  

Im self employed.  More work for me.  More resources for my family.

21 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The previous generation is so quick to bash the current one without realizing they raised the current one. Maybe they ought to look at themselves instead of being whiny little twits, y'know. 

Partly true.  The last generation or so and certainly this one has(d) two working parents (assuming an intact marriage)....makes a big difference when you don't have time to raise your own children - whatever the reasons.

12 hours ago, riffraff said:

Partly true.  The last generation or so and certainly this one has(d) two working parents (assuming an intact marriage)....makes a big difference when you don't have time to raise your own children - whatever the reasons.

What role has the Feminist movement played in creating these past few labour forces that appear to be out of touch with reality, at work?

Women have been proudly closing “the pay gap” by actually working instead of raising their kids at home.

There were many discussions had about what a future generation of working mothers would produce when the family unit was under attack and women were staying in school and starting a career before having kids, and then choosing to stay working, rather than at home. There must be some data out there to weigh the past against the present in regards to what effect an absent monther has on those kids, long term. Interesting stuff. 

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What role has the Feminist movement played in creating these past few labour forces that appear to be out of touch with reality, at work?

Women have been proudly closing “the pay gap” by actually working instead of raising their kids at home.

There were many discussions had about what a future generation of working mothers would produce when the family unit was under attack and women were staying in school and starting a career before having kids, and then choosing to stay working, rather than at home. There must be some data out there to weigh the past against the present in regards to what effect an absent monther has on those kids, long term. Interesting stuff. 

Without a doubt.  For now, and admittedly I'm not a stat researcher by any means, it's more of an eye test for me.

i won't be the person who says who should and shouldn't work.   my point is is that there is an affect, generally negative, on kids who are not given enough time by their own parents, mother or father.

51 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

45 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Without a doubt.  For now, and admittedly I'm not a stat researcher by any means, it's more of an eye test for me.

i won't be the person who says who should and shouldn't work.   my point is is that there is an affect, generally negative, on kids who are not given enough time by their own parents, mother or father.

I don't know if there are any studies done regarding actual time spent with children, but there are studies that show it's incredibly easy to move up in economic social standing (almost guaranteed) if you do 3 things - graduate highschool, hold down a full time job, and not have children until you are married

1 minute ago, Dral said:

I don't know if there are any studies done regarding actual time spent with children, but there are studies that show it's incredibly easy to move up in economic social standing (almost guaranteed) if you do 3 things - graduate highschool, hold down a full time job, and not have children until you are married

Maybe we, government, need to pay women (or the husband - I don’t really care which one) to stay home with the children, at least to the kid is 6?

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we, government, need to pay women (or the husband - I don’t really care which one) to stay home with the children, at least to the kid is 6?

That idea is what's created a welfare state in the US and ends up doing A LOT more harm then good in the long run

Archived