The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lack of Toughness and Pushback is Concerning

Junkyard Dog

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I would like to see and/or hear of players having a fit over losing, but then that would just indicate they were getting close to giving up or not giving 100% anymore.

It is scary that calmness is the apparent sentiment in a team that is losing for 3 years.

I heard that Horvat had some interesting comments over the last game other than the NHL approved media statements. 

its not scary at all. Just because you have your own perceptions of how they should think, doesn't make it actually true.

And you know why players give bland statements? Because there's always a gaggle of superfans who "love the game and the team" but feel that they have purchased the right to complain loudly because they bought a ticket. So they do, and one of the things they do is dog pile on any player that says something they don't like. Want players to speak their mind? Have an audience that isn't full of angry reactionaries. But that audience doesn't exist so they have to watch what they say.

The only issue I have lately is when Hall targeted Boeser, laid him out and not one Canucks player went after Hall. Taylor freakin' Hall with his alien face. That ticked me off. Hall already knocked out Larsen when they met in Jersey last year. You'd think some of the Canucks players would want some pay back. Nope, that's not playing the right way I guess.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The only issue I have lately is when Hall targeted Boeser, laid him out and not one Canucks player went after Hall. Taylor freakin' Hall with his alien face. That ticked me off. Hall already knocked out Larsen when they met in Jersey last year. You'd think some of the Canucks players would want some pay back. Nope, that's not playing the right way I guess.

Well, Gagner tried to go after Hall but he skated away so fast it didn't happen.

Not that Gagner is much of deterrent, but the play continued.

We really miss (and need) players to step up with Sutter, Dorse, and Guddy out.

Take a frickin' penalty but send the message.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Our club will never roll deep in the playoffs until we get players that care about their teamates.   Stick up for each other. Fight  if it is called for.

Lay the body hard to send a message.....  

Until  we get a club with these types of players, our club will not go deep in the playoffs.   Way too many soft players on our current team. 

Club can not expect Guddy and Dorset to carry the load...   We need the entire team to play with some edge. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Couldn't agree more... disgusted nobody went for him. 

Some way to support a rookie... tough luck son you're on your own... 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Couldn't agree more... disgusted nobody went for him. 

Some way to support a rookie... tough luck son you're on your own... 

As I've stated before, as long as the main veteran presence is provided by the Sedins and Edler, the idea of the team fighting for each other is a pipe dream. 

Once Horvat takes over as captain, I think fans will see a change in how the team stands up for each other. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hall is a goof. He'll get his. Someday....

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm of the mind that it was as clean a hit as you can get, so I don't see the sense of taking an unnecessary penalty when Boeser got up like nothing had happened. Kudos to Hall. 

Now, if it was dirty then I'm on your page. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As I've stated before, as long as the main veteran presence is provided by the Sedins and Edler, the idea of the team fighting for each other is a pipe dream. 

Once Horvat takes over as captain, I think fans will see a change in how the team stands up for each other

You think maybe that "coward of the county" type stuff?

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still though if these are the only two guys we have moving forward then we should be worried.

If it's 'moving forward' you're worried about - then look forward.  The prospect pool has obvious recent additions (MacEwen, Gadjovich) intended to bring toughness - that can play.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

If it's 'moving forward' you're worried about - then look forward.  The prospect pool has obvious recent additions (MacEwen, Gadjovich) intended to bring toughness - that can play.

Gaudette is no shrinking violet either.  And Lockwood plays nasty too.  We definitely have some nasty coming up.  I really hope we can extend Guddy though, so those young kids have him behind them. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette is no shrinking violet either.  And Lockwood plays nasty too.  We definitely have some nasty coming up.  I really hope we can extend Guddy though, so those young kids have him behind them. 

?

if we have any problems with Gaudreau or Matthew Phillips, we'll have Lockwood to answer to.

Archived