The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lack of Toughness and Pushback is Concerning

Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I don't know if Lockwood has the kind of edge in him, but he's a good prospect regardless.

People in Canucksville compare him to Honey Badger with perhaps even a bit more quickness and hands.

I think JB has done a really good job building variety in our prospect pool.  Yes, we have a lot of promising ones, but they are a variety of player types too.  I know they will not all turn out, but many of them look pretty good right now.  If Lockwood is another Hansen, I'd be ecstatic.  We need puck hounds, who can play on any line.

Spending to the cap is the last thing we want to do... first off, who sits? Too many 1 way contracts to hire guns.. management made that choice when they signed Eriksson, Vanek, Gagne... even Burmistrov - why couldn't a 4th line C be filled with a guy that can drop them regularly?

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I heard on the radio that he was much more expressive over the loss, it was the post game interview I think they were talking about. They carried on about it for 15 minutes or so. 1040, they had his interview but I was busy at the time, the radio guys seemed to think what he said was a good thing and to do with him taking over the room. Look it up. My goodness you aren't deaf are you? That didn't occur to me, sorry if you are, I don't mean to be condescending.

The calmness thing, hockey is a extremely high intensity sport, the "high" from adrenaline is extreme. These players are supposed to be the most competitive from a pool of competitive people. Learning to lose IS something they can adjust to and why being calm about losing is an indication that they are getting used to it. That the money still comes in, that it is an entertainment business. And yes people will take losing differently, some will use it to improve, some will put it behind them and some will accept it.

So basically the interview is there, but it's more based on "what you think they were talking about". No link to the interview or anything? And yet somehow I'm deaf for "not listening" to an interview? It sounds more like because I don't share the same opinion as you I'm "deaf" If you have to resort to talking like that then I'm going to think that you don't have much faith in your argument and no one would feel need for such words if they had a strong argument. Perhaps learn what you're arguing about first before you start saying someone else is deaf.

Anyway, I don't really care about calmness to be honest. I care about competitiveness. Calmness has nothing to do with competitiveness. Boeser: calm, competitive. Kesler: not calm, competitive. Semin: calm, not competitive. There's really not much of a correlation there if you think about it.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

So basically the interview is there, but it's more based on "what you think they were talking about". No link to the interview or anything? And yet somehow I'm deaf for "not listening" to an interview? It sounds more like because I don't share the same opinion as you I'm "deaf" If you have to resort to talking like that then I'm going to think that you don't have much faith in your argument and no one would feel need for such words if they had a strong argument. Perhaps learn what you're arguing about first before you start saying someone else is deaf.

Anyway, I don't really care about calmness to be honest. I care about competitiveness. Calmness has nothing to do with competitiveness. Boeser: calm, competitive. Kesler: not calm, competitive. Semin: calm, not competitive. There's really not much of a correlation there if you think about it.

Well looky there, the interview is on the Canuck web page. I guess it is the first time he has said the kind of things he did, I certainly don't think it was terribly note worthy

The grit issue should have been addressed over the summer. Benning signed too many of the same type of player. Gagner, Vanek and Burmistrov all add some degree of skill but add none of the intangibles that a competitive team needs. A guy like Chris Stewart would have fit the bill.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette is no shrinking violet either.  And Lockwood plays nasty too.  We definitely have some nasty coming up.  I really hope we can extend Guddy though, so those young kids have him behind them. 

Lockwood isn’t a pushover but I wouldn’t call him nasty. He won’t intimidate anyone in the bigs. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

If it's 'moving forward' you're worried about - then look forward.  The prospect pool has obvious recent additions (MacEwen, Gadjovich) intended to bring toughness - that can play.

I've explained why I think it is an issue we need to address now and moving forward.

Those guys need to develop and won't help us anytime soon, not for years, and we need more veterans that with that play style to show them the way. 

Right now skill>grit on our team in terms of the balance of players. Guddy and Dorsett can't carry the load alone and when they're injured like they're now we are boned. 

The loss of guys like Hansen/Burrows hurt. Perhaps we should have tried to acquire players that are willing to stick up for their teammates like these two rather than skilled forwards. It is what it is.

With the Sedins contracts up next year we will have an opportunity again to address this issue depending on what happens with the Sedins. We could also look at trading options like I have mentioned.

I agree with this post.

We are reverting back to our old team that is easy and soft to play against.

Missing the element Dorsett brought day in and day out.

Virtanen needs to stop worrying about getting hit or embarrassing himself.

And just play like he did in his first NHL preseason game when he scored his first ever preseason goal with a deflection that left him a ruptured blood vessel in his eye for a week. 

Now he looks too comfortable just being a passenger. He needs to have that urgency and really have fun out there.

He needs to set a new goal for himself and play hungrier. I understand it's more difficult for powerforwards to develop in this league..

Virtanen cannot dominate like he did in juniors when he was playing against kids.

He needs to understand that there are plenty of NHL defencemen over 6'4~ 6'5 and weighs more than him. 

He also needs to understand sometimes, he will get hit and get knocked off his feet. But that is fine. That's the big league. 

Play hard and don't be afraid to make mistakes (not systematically like in backcheck or positional sense but rather getting knocked down or being pushed around)

I really wanna see him in Vancouver uniform for years to come at his peak. 

As for other players, we have a numerous forwards who do not finish checks like twins, Erikss.. Last few games he played, Burmi looked soft and got taken advantage of in numerous occasions in our defensive zone.  

U don't gotta be 6'5 and 250 lbs to run over/ TKO opposing team. U don't have to knock people out with every single hit. 

U can still be 180 lbs and be hard to play against. There are many things u can do out there. 

Baer or Gagner aren't biggest bodies out there but they do things to be noticed by the other team's D. And they are one of our smaller guys on the team.

Heck even Vanek does some stickwork and other unnoticed whacks and slashes to make things a lil more difficult. 

Just be harder to play against boys.

I think this is a key attribute we need as a rebuilding team with young players. 

Man with the Dorsett announcement this morning two things need to happen.

1 - Virtanen needs to step up and bring even some fraction of 'Dorsette-esque' battle level. 

2 - We may need to sign/trade/call up someone who brings that type of game.

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

Say goodbye to a warrior, the kind that aren't calm.

“What I can say for certain right now is that I left it all out on the ice. I gave my heart and soul to the teams I played for and never backed down from a challenge, including this one." - Dorsett (@Twigy15)pic.twitter.com/10OmlCFotb

DP45kimWAAEcXKu.jpg
8:05 AM - 30 Nov 2017

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Man with the Dorsett announcement this morning two things need to happen.

1 - Virtanen needs to step up and bring even some fraction of 'Dorsette-esque' battle level. 

2 - We may need to sign/trade/call up someone who brings that type of game.

Forget about #1, the last time Virtanen tried to light someone up he needed shoulder surgery, his SECOND shoulder surgery. AND he was NEVER that type of player.

Who does the team call up? Pedan had what is needed but who else? Archibald maybe?

Simplest and easiest would be to ask Prust nicely if he would consider coming back for that role. Prust had the speed to forechek, the knowledge of when to act and could score. It would also buy time for management to find his replacement. How did management not plan on this possibility? They knew the seriousness of his injury and impact he was having this year.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Forget about #1, the last time Virtanen tried to light someone up he needed shoulder surgery, his SECOND shoulder surgery. AND he was NEVER that type of player.

Who does the team call up? Pedan had what is needed but who else? Archibald maybe?

Simplest and easiest would be to ask Prust nicely if he would consider coming back for that role. Prust had the speed to forechek, the knowledge of when to act and could score. It would also buy time for management to find his replacement. How did management not plan on this possibility? They knew the seriousness of his injury and impact he was having this year.

He doesn't need to 'light anyone up' he needs to play with more battle and pursuit.  And he's already made a good few hits this season that haven't required any surgery.

Pedan could barely play hockey. Archibald's face is broken and he doesn't have an NHL contract either way. Labate or MacEwan are probably the next closest things we have that we could recall.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He doesn't need to 'light anyone up' he needs to play with more battle and pursuit.  And he's already made a good few hits this season that haven't required any surgery.

Pedan could barely play hockey. Archibald's face is broken and he doesn't have an NHL contract either way. Labate or MacEwan are probably the next closest things we have that we could recall.

No the team needs someone that can light someone up.

Pedan had speed, size and truculence he could have been molded to become an up and down winger with a pretty good grasp of defensive responsibilities, it is called coaching/teaching and for the 8 min per game, not much of detriment.

I don't think Labate is under contract either although I thought Archibald did.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I've explained why I think it is an issue we need to address now and moving forward.

Those guys need to develop and won't help us anytime soon, not for years, and we need more veterans that with that play style to show them the way. 

Right now skill>grit on our team in terms of the balance of players. Guddy and Dorsett can't carry the load alone and when they're injured like they're now we are boned. 

The loss of guys like Hansen/Burrows hurt. Perhaps we should have tried to acquire players that are willing to stick up for their teammates like these two rather than skilled forwards. It is what it is.

With the Sedins contracts up next year we will have an opportunity again to address this issue depending on what happens with the Sedins. We could also look at trading options like I have mentioned.

MacEwen is better than .5ppg as a rookie AHLer  - I disagree that he's 'years away'.

In any event, it happens that our injuires are to grit as opposed to skilled guys. 

That sucks.

But this is an easier shopping list to make than it is to fill.  Tough guys that can play are not abundant.

I hear what you're saying, but if you're looking forward, you see a team in Utica with MacEwen, Labate, Archie - the thing is, those types of players have to win spots - and grit is only one element.  It's easier to call for a balanced lineup than it is to maintain one in the face of contingencies and injuries.  I liked Upshall, but I'm not sure I can claim he earned a spot over Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov....and the same for the younger grit guys.

Ironically, half the fanbase is arguing that Goldobin should be the next addition to the lineup, so there is a clear divide on how to adapt to the reality of the way the NHL is trending.

23 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

No the team needs someone that can light someone up.

Pedan had speed, size and truculence he could have been molded to become an up and down winger with a pretty good grasp of defensive responsibilities, it is called coaching/teaching and for the 8 min per game, not much of detriment.

I don't think Labate is under contract either although I thought Archibald did.

No, they don't. They need players who can play hockey while bringing grit and being a PITA to play against.

Pedan was/is barely capable in the AHL in his natural position.

Labate IS under contract (1 year, $650K), Archibald is on an AHL contract and again, his face is broken.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No, they don't. They need players who can play hockey while bringing grit and being a PITA to play against.

Pedan was/is barely capable in the AHL in his natural position.

Labate IS under contract (1 year, $650K), Archibald is on an AHL contract and again, his face is broken.

The two time cup champs (Penquins) seem to disagree with you, they went and signed a guy specifically for that role, this year. Chicago has always had this type of player.

Don't get mixed up with the staged fight guys of limited skill. I think we are on the same page with only a communication gap.

Dorsett DID play the role of defender and could play good enough to be on the roster. You should see all the "hate", for lack of a better word, posts regarding Dorsett over the last two years

Archived