The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lack of Toughness and Pushback is Concerning

Junkyard Dog

While Hansen was never the nuclear deterrent that Dorsett was, he did occasionally drop the mitts to defend a skill guy. And he is also a heart and soul 7th round pick that made it and stuck. He is not doing so well adjusting to SJ so maybe they would trade him back.

When he was traded the Nucks retained half his salary. The Nucks could just sign him next year.

Burrows has too much term and age is creeping up on him to consider.

Maybe see if Chris Neil would lace them up again for the rest of the year.

Frazer McLaren might, no, would fill the role of the nuclear deterrent. He is in the AHL.

Jared Boll isn't playing a whole bunch and a UFA end of this season. Not as belligerent as Dorsett but he is a vet and knows what needs done.

Well, now we're really hooped.....

You don't need hulking brutes, but you do need guys willing to stand up for one another.  Annnnnnnnd we just lost our leader in that.  

It's up to others to fill those big shoes skates now.  While it should be every man for himself if we truly want to be a tough team, a brotherhood should go to war for one another.  Derek was the brother who didn't hesitate and set the bar.  Come on team, find some inspiration in that.

23 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

While Hansen was never the nuclear deterrent that Dorsett was, he did occasionally drop the mitts to defend a skill guy. And he is also a heart and soul 7th round pick that made it and stuck.

The Nucks could just sign him next year.

I hope they actually consider that next year.

Trade Vanek at the TDL, Sedins retire Add Kane and Hansen in the off season. Gaudette (no bruiser but tough to play against) likely makes the club as well.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

That would be great, but something about that doesn't feel like a deal Stevie Y makes, he'd want more. 

Kane is going to get 7+ for 6 years i think.... my biggest concern with him is health, he's never actually played a full season. But man it would change the dynamics up front. 

If the Sedins retire screw Kane....throw a max contract at Taveres for 3 years and 10m for the rest :P   

I like the idea a Staal type contract to Rick Nash 

20 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well looky there, the interview is on the Canuck web page. I guess it is the first time he has said the kind of things he did, I certainly don't think it was terribly note worthy

At least you pointed that out. That's what I wanted you to do in the first place rather than going "you must be deaf!" Like does it hurt to not provide a bit of proof rather than throwing a fit? lol

As for the Dorsett reply. Really sad situation for him, the organization, and us as fans and I wish him well.

But what does that have to do with calmness?

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Despite winning man seeing Brock get rocked and having no response makes me livid :angry:

I agree but we havent done anything in years to address this. So until we have new Management that wants to protect our prized young players it will continue to happen. I know Deadmonton is playing bad but Chiarelli has insulated that team with a physical presence on every line. They just have made some bad trades and seemingly are still unwilling to give up something good to address the area of weakness they have.

I'm sure if Virtanen had someone to back him up, he'd play a tougher, more robust style. As it stands, he's the only forward on this team that would even have a slight inkling of what to do in a fight. It's looking more and more that he's just faster skating Jim Sandlak so Benning may as well get someone in here that has a backbone to protect these kids. 

Panthers vs Stars last night, Panthers thought Roussel hurt their goalie and the Panthers went ape $hit...turns out that Roussel didnt actually touch the goalie .. just breathing on him was enough to get a huge reaction.  Just once Id like to see that happen here, especially when people take liberties on the bread and butter future of the team.  Imagine a gong show like this breaking out here next time someon drills Brock? We are miles away from this...

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Panthers vs Stars last night, Panthers though Roussel hurt their goalie and the Panthers went ape $hit...turns out that Roussel didnt actually touch the goalie .. just breathing on him was enough to get a huge reaction.  Just once Id like to see that happen here, especially when people take liberties on the bread and butter future of the team.

What about when Torts put out Sestito, Lain, Bieksa and two others to square off against Calgary's goons?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What about when Torts put out Sestito, Lain, Bieksa and two others to square off against Calgary's goons?

I forgot about that... good Ol torts!! we are pretty far removed from that toughness ... 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The visiting team submits their roster first so this was just a response to what Calgary was already doing.

This was also the next game after Alberts' career was ended to the cheering of the Calgary coach at the time of the hit.

Canucks were out of the playoff picture, no need for Calgary to start that line up.

I would have been a little pissed too. And to tell the truth, even though it was really wrong, I loved that Torts had that much feeling for the team and the players. That was a massive mistake but IMO showed the passion/emotion that is sometimes needed to win games in the NHL. He stood up for his guy. Nobody knew just how bad Alberts was at the time.

I wonder now if knowing that a Canuck player had his career ended on a cheap shot, his coach praises the player that gave the cheap shot and then starts a line up that screams, FU, you can't do anything about it.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The visiting team submits their roster first so this was just a response to what Calgary was already doing.

This was also the next game after Alberts' career was ended to the cheering of the Calgary coach at the time of the hit.

Canucks were out of the playoff picture, no need for Calgary to start that line up.

I would have been a little pissed too. And to tell the truth, even though it was really wrong, I loved that Torts had that much feeling for the team and the players. That was a massive mistake but IMO showed the passion/emotion that is sometimes needed to win games in the NHL. He stood up for his guy. Nobody knew just how bad Alberts was at the time.

I wonder now if knowing that a Canuck player had his career ended on a cheap shot, his coach praises the player that gave the cheap shot and then starts a line up that screams, FU, you can't do anything about it.

I enjoyed Tortorella when he was here. Hartley was a piece of crap as was that troglodyte who hit Alberts. Good to see that both are no longer in the league. 

The culture of the team needs to change all together and it starts with leadership. Not here to slag the Sedins by any means but until the new core is established and a there is a new voice in the room this stuff will continue. Just making em pay on the PP is bullcrap. Make em pay on the PP and set the tone by at least letting other teams know.if you mess with our best players you better be prepared to pay (with a big hit or a little facewash.) Other teams take note of this stuff.

Archived