The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could this be the end of the Killer Bs?

G. Reaper

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't think this is the end of the "Killer B's".

Goldobin is a goal scorer, putting him on a line where Boeser is already a Ace shooter is overkill.

Better to match him up with a playmaker.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind some overkill. 

Goldy had a good night, but we don't know what we have yet. 100% o-zone starts, no PP time but he was solid, no major blunders, and that pass to Boeser was a thing of beauty. I do think he earned himself another game and I sure as heck noticed him more than Burmistrov. But we need to see him in more situations. 

But if he helps to create a line thats more dangerous and more consistent than the one with Baer I'm all for it. 

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

Edler played like A monster today. If anybody else would have missed you would have sais oh dang Bo or virt etc just got robbed. But since its Edler he must have screwed up. You Edler haters really need to checkcout all the top D more. Alas youcwould find they make quitevA few mistakes themselves. As. For the topic baer has looked pretty good with Vanek on the pp and limited times they have been on. The ice together

Geez relax bro!  I’m not hating on Edler.  I’m just stating the obvious that he’s not a finisher.  Had Brock or Bo gotten those two glorious feeds I’m confident at least one of them finds the back of the net.  My point was that even though no goal came of the two passes to Edler, they were still great set ups!

Being solidly mid-pack in the NHL in terms of goals for, I think we need to find a way to get Goldobin in the lineup.  If that means that he succeeds on the line with Horvat and Boeser, then so be it.  Many of us feel Baertschi is likely at his ceiling as it stands and best suited for a 2nd line role anyway, and I personally believe Goldobin has a higher potential - so might as well give him the ice time and see what he can do.  For now, anyway - unless it turns out he isn't ready.

The great thing about Goldobin - contrary to people labeling him a scorer or a playmaker is that he actually does it all.  From a scoring standpoint anyway.  This actually makes him a perfect fit on the first line since it ends up being pretty unpredictable.  (Except for Boeser - who you know is likely to shoot but even when goalies know they just can't stop his wicked shot).  

My only concern with this line is turnover potential.  I think Baertschi has improved in his defensive awareness, but with this line you have players that drive to the net or at least get really deep and Goldobin hasn't exactly been heralded for his defensive awareness.  But hey, you don't know until you try right?

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't think this is the end of the "Killer B's".

Goldobin is a goal scorer, putting him on a line where Boeser is already a Ace shooter is overkill.

Better to match him up with a playmaker.

While he can also shoot the puck pretty well, he leans more towards being a play maker FWIW. Call it 60/40'ish.

57 minutes ago, G. Reaper said:

Geez relax bro!  I’m not hating on Edler.  I’m just stating the obvious that he’s not a finisher.  Had Brock or Bo gotten those two glorious feeds I’m confident at least one of them finds the back of the net.  My point was that even though no goal came of the two passes to Edler, they were still great set ups!

I apologize. Being an Edler fan is not easy on CDC lol. You are right he isn't brock when it comes to finishing. Again sorry for the mix up 

Goldy has one game and gets an assist, so now he is anointed as the 1st line LW?  I'm glad he's getting a chance on an offensive line, as I was worried they would try him out on a defensive line, which would have been a bad idea.

But...he's got a way to go before he displaces the defensively responsible, playmaking winger who has 17pts in 26 games.  We'll see how things pan out, but for now I just see Baer playing on a different line while the coaching staff assess Goldy.  It's no easy task being a 1st liner and playing against the top lines in the NHL. 

Whatever the case, it is looking like a good situation having an extra offensively minded player on the team.  With Vanek requiring a playmaker, I can see the Canucks having 3 lines that can score and a 4th line that may be coming along.

We just need to play the waiting game. Nothing is set in stone until Pettersson gets to the big club, that's when we can decide on chemistry and lines. For now we just want to make sure Baertschi, Boeser and Goldobin can all produce in a top-6 role, something 2 of the 3 have already proven.

Also if the Sedins and Eriksson keep it up, expect them back next season.

i'ld be more interested in who bo and boes prefer to play with, or who green likes there. they are trying to put goldy in a spot to succeed. he may fit better with others but he has to stick with the team first. if we can get 3 scoring lines going, with the shut down line chipping in a few too, we'll be set up until, pettersson, dahlen, gaudette and lind show up.

3 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I mean, this was just one game with a lot of success, so it's definitely not the end. I'm sure Bae/Bo/Boes will be playing together a lot more this season.

ah no .. many of the cdc crowd can decide things after 1 game (i mean look at the title of this thread)

nothing hot and cold about a big chunk of this group  :wub:

the next thread will be the order in which these players should be voted into the ring of honour

i kinda think the BBB line will play another lengthy stretch of games together

they are a young dynamic responsible line

they just were being hounded pretty badly the past few games

and baer saw his performance drop a bit the last 3 games

so a brief shake up was warranted

All those dumping on Baerschi are not watching the game.  His game has vastly improved over last year.

He is consistently the best forechecker on the team.  When he was on the Killer B's he turned over the puck more than either Bo or Boeser.  He does this with his great hand/eye coordination... like someone else said, he knocks pucks out of the air better than anyone on the team... scores goals that way too.

He has nearly as much speed as Bo... and has better stick hands.

He is not as small as some people think, (5' 11" - 192 is solid) and he has been getting better and better at taking hits and staying on his feet... when was the last time you saw him get knocked down?

He's sitting #3 in team scoring while being on the second unit PP.

He is excellent on the backcheck, he has the speed to catch other forwards and is defensively responsible.

His only real weakness is in not being big enough to break up the cycle in the D Zone... but that is primarily the Defenseman's responsibility.

19 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All those dumping on Baerschi are not watching the game.  His game has vastly improved over last year.

He is consistently the best forechecker on the team.  When he was on the Killer B's he turned over the puck more than either Bo or Boeser.  He does this with his great hand/eye coordination... like someone else said, he knocks pucks out of the air better than anyone on the team... scores goals that way too.

He has nearly as much speed as Bo... and has better stick hands.

He is not as small as some people think, (5' 11" - 192 is solid) and he has been getting better and better at taking hits and staying on his feet... when was the last time you saw him get knocked down?

He's sitting #3 in team scoring while being on the second unit PP.

He is excellent on the backcheck, he has the speed to catch other forwards and is defensively responsible.

His only real weakness is in not being big enough to break up the cycle in the D Zone... but that is primarily the Defenseman's responsibility.

He's the new Brendan Morrison

Bmo never got huge cred for his contributions to the WCE either but he was a big part of it. 

Big fan of Baer but also very happy to see Greener threw out Goldy on the top line and basically said "go show me"
I think he only played about 8 minutes after 2 periods? But still managed to set up the winning goal, and looked solid all around playing with those guys.
We have to find a way to keep guys like that around. He's paid his dues in the AHL and has dominated playing for 2 different teams now.
The "defensive deficiencies" are largely overstated. 

He's a plus player in Utica while also leading them in scoring. That says something. 

Baer, Bo, Brock, Goldy... they are all top 6 players. How the top 2 lines flesh out over the next year or 2 with other players coming in... we'll see! 

Archived