The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

....Like walking naked through a snowstorm

darkpoet

17 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I agree with your post, we need more toughness for sure. I think they should look within the organization first. There are guys like MacEwen, Archibald that should get a serious look first.

What bout Laplante?

Good post.

What would the costs be...

Agree we are short of somebody like Wilson, but wonder what the price would be. 

Also how about his history with suspensions? He got two days Sep 23rd and 4 days Oct 3rd... 

Concerned that if he plays for us, he'll be suspended indefinitely within two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Honestly though, at this point I'd be content to live and die by the prospects and players we already have. Having said that, I've got faith that if JB is targetting someone via trade it'll be because he feels the player will make an overall impact for years and not just on someone's face once and awhile.

He hasn't made any "knee jerk" trades since his posting as GM... but then, he hasn't really had to face that situation yet either.
Looking at where our offence is coming from... and considering almost NONE of it is being provided by our defence, I do think he's going to address this. I don't see how he can't.

We have way to much offence being provided by too few players, whom are either rookies and/or not the types of guys who are capable of going Dolph Lundgren on someone if they start to misbehave.

Should be a kickass high-tempo game tomorrow. I just hope that collectively, this team can stand up for itself until some real help arrives to that end. 

Tom Wilson is a good idea... he's an RFA too so Washington might want some assets back. But given that he is an RFA what do we give up for him? They probably want D, given their crappy PK and high GA. Would you be willing to give up Hutton for Wilson? WSH shots are down too so they might be able to sell Hutton as a puck moving D that can help them that way too. 

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Are you confusing him with LaBate?

I used to do that quite often.
LaBate is the one out of the two that can throw his weight around

Utica does have yan pavel laplante but doesn't bring what labate or the canucks need right now

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

He hasn't made any "knee jerk" trades since his posting as GM... but then, he hasn't really had to face that situation yet either.
Looking at where our offence is coming from... and considering almost NONE of it is being provided by our defence, I do think he's going to address this. I don't see how he can't.

We have way to much offence being provided by too few players, whom are either rookies and/or not the types of guys who are capable of going Dolph Lundgren on someone if they start to misbehave.

Should be a kickass high-tempo game tomorrow. I just hope that collectively, this team can stand up for itself until some real help arrives to that end. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but am wondering what we'd to give up in order improve those numbers. I'm pretty happy to sit on our draft picks for another year or 2 unless we get a return that's too good to be true. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Tom Wilson is a good idea... he's an RFA too so Washington might want some assets back. But given that he is an RFA what do we give up for him? They probably want D, given their crappy PK and high GA. Would you be willing to give up Hutton for Wilson? WSH shots are down too so they might be able to sell Hutton as a puck moving D that can help them that way too. 

downloadff.jpg

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but am wondering what we'd to give up in order improve those numbers. I'm pretty happy to sit on our draft picks for another year or 2 unless we get a return that's too good to be true. 

For sure. That's the dilemma.

Then again, we got a very serviceable defenceman in Pouliot, for Pedan.... so there are deals out there that can address a need that don't necessarily have to cost you something significant. 

This is where a GM really earns his stripes methinks.... #BENNING

24 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

To be clear I HATED Cooke when he was here (and after he left) 
He was a gutless puke (hi Milbury!) who turtled after tying to decapitate guys or otherwise sever their legs below the knee.

Like I said, Wilson looks like one of those guys who's walking a fine line... but at least if he crosses it, he stands up for himself. 
I'm not advocating going out and hiring someone just because they're dirty. 
Having said that, at some point you gotta do what you gotta do and take a chance on someone. 
Being on the PK constantly because you've got a loose cannon on your team isn't good either. 

if we are gonna dig into the past and reminisce about who would be a suitable person presently. i'd prefer

rick rypien

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we may see Burmy waived down for LaBate to come up. Just a feeling. 

Labate makes more sense than trying to deal for a Dorsett replacement. Certainly not willing to see a draft pick moved in any deal. 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

For sure. That's the dilemma.

Then again, we got a very serviceable defenceman in Pouliot, for Pedan.... so there are deals out there that can address a need that don't necessarily have to cost you something significant. 

This is where a GM really earns his stripes methinks.... #BENNING

I've got hopes for Pouliot. Nothing to really complain about PP wise last night, but I really liked the way he moved across the blueline at times to try and create some open lanes against the Isles. 

Haven't seen a single Comets yet game this year. I wonder if LaBate has matured from his taking silly penalties in years past. 

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

if we are gonna dig into the past and reminisce about who would be a suitable person presently. i'd prefer

rick rypien

now you're talkin'...... but :(

Remember Gill? Dude was literally twice his size and he not only won the fight, but he wore the guy out and cut him to boot..

you wanna talk about how a fight can pump up your team? This is it right here... 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Labate makes more sense than trying to deal for a Dorsett replacement. Certainly not willing to see a draft pick moved in any deal. 

Have you been following him in Utica this year? His penalties bothered me when he was wearing the orca way back, but he has what he could use on the 4th line if he can stay out of the box for all but the good penalties. 

Archived