The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (discussion)

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you get over it. There's a thing called goodwill, and both these guys are getting close to the line on blowing that.

I don't want Karlsson. He had 1/2 his ankle replaced last surgery so there's legit concerns over his longevity, and its too much to pay for him. 

I have nothing to get over. You are the one complaining about fans getting shafted. Its a freaking business. Goodwill has nothing to do with it. This is his last big contract. He needs to take care of himself and his family first. 

If he signs in Toronto he'll make millions in endorsements alone. He'll be the biggest star in hockey in that market and on that offensivley talented team.  You think Leafs fans won't go to games or buy his jerseys because Karlsson left OTT as UFA?? lol. No one cares. Sens fans will be upset but it's a small market which has internal cap. HE's gone. 

That's like saying I don't want McDavid, he had shoulder surgery, or Crosby he had concussion. There isn't a pro athlete alive who hasn't dealt with injuries. THis isn't 1980's, Medical technology is so advanced now. 

Every single GM President and owner of a hockey team in the world would line up to try and sign Karlsson on UFA day. 

I bet Leafs bring in big corporations to the table for endorsements like they tried with Stamkos. If he signs in TOR he likely takes less than he could get in different market. But  he'll more than make up for it in endorsements. 

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

What if he craps the bed this and next year dropping his value? That would be funny but there are a ton of GM’s with deep pocketed owners who will break the bank for him. Regardless of his production until then. 

EK was certainly brilliant last spring, & agree with the posters in that his style of play is fun to watch for all fans. So gets married(bun in the oven, media said?), & now he gets carried away, with this drama q shyte?

Shouldn't resort to this..must know he'll get his riches, either way.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

EK was certainly brilliant last spring, & agree with the posters in that his style of play is fun to watch for all fans. So gets married(bun in the oven, media said?), & now he gets carried away, with this drama q shyte?

Shouldn't resort to this..must know he'll get his riches, either way.

At least he’s letting management know where he stands with ample time to either pay him or trade him. 

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

At least he’s letting management know where he stands with ample time to either pay him or trade him. 

Mgmt  knows he's gone. Around the time of Duchene trade press conference they acknowledged the 2 year window with EK and they need to make a Cup run in that time. 

OTT  plays defensive systems. They are at or near the bottom of NHL in goals scored. Imagine EK on a team with more open playing style. He'll tear the league apart on a team with offensively talented players and different coaching style. 

2 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

The biggest question is Tavares or Karlsson?

We have to be careful, the way Boeser is playing he will get 7 mill probably for 6 years.

Neither one coming here. Why would Tavares or Karlsson sign on a rebuilding team after going thru what they both did in NYI and OTT. 

NYI are playing well so Tavares might re sign there. Leafs get one of Tavares, Karlsson or Doughty. They'll try for Tavares this year if no luck they'll go all in on Karlsson. No way they don't try their absolute best to get EK on that team. They'll dominate and win multiple Cups. 

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

Then I start imagining comparisons(for contrast)..Rocket Richard is discussing Howe's $5,000 smackers & updated team jacket.."Yeah, I'm worth that too, eh? We'd better both be getting more than that bum, Bathgate!"

Or what if Bo had been "discussing" numbers with Drai, over summer cocktails? THAT woulda went over just lovely.

Is it because they're admired & adored(apparently!) 10 yr vets, in the modern IT age, these two can start early media-positions like a coupla' tw*ts? Whatever it is, big biz & cash has changed sport(in general), beyond what I personally/formerly admired in most of these guys.

& I know..I know..mine's just one opinion, & lots of posters will justify with this or that angle. Probably my age group(middle) has more folks questioning it, than the younger generations of fans.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Neither one coming here. Why would Tavares or Karlsson sign on a rebuilding team after going thru what they both did in NYI and OTT. 

NYI are playing well so Tavares might re sign there. Leafs get one of Tavares, Karlsson or Doughty. They'll try for Tavares this year if no luck they'll go all in on Karlsson. No way they don't try their absolute best to get EK on that team. They'll dominate and win multiple Cups. 

IF the Fleas can sign all that young talent, Marleau and MORE, the league has their greasy fingers in the hogtown pie.(cook them books!)

Possible of course..for SOME favoured markets.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like I said...I think he’s great too.  I just don’t know if any team can afford that much cap on one player, and still be a Cup winner?  The players already give back 15% in escrow on a 70 million dollar cap.  

What does escrow have to do with anything. Not sure why that is brought up. weird...

Every superstar gets big money, he's top 5 in NHL as far as stars go, right there with OV Crosby McDavid Mathews. 

There are ways to do things. If he signs for 13 mill in Carolina he will barely make anything on endorsements, if he signs in Toronto for 10 mill he'll get 3 plus mill in endorsements. That will be part of the package. Leafs would arrange corporations to sign endorsement deals at same time he signs his contract. Similar to how they tried to sign Stamkos.  

Or if he signs in Texas, Arizona or Florida plus some other teams he saves on taxes. But i see him in big market. NY, TOR are too big possibilities. 

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

IF the Fleas can sign all that young talent, Marleau and MORE, the league has their greasy fingers in the hogtown pie.(cook them books!)

Possible of course..for SOME favoured markets.

If that was the case don't you think Leafs would have won the CUp at least once over the past 50+ years. 

Every team has same cap. Not into this conspiracy theory  crap. 

It"s all here on this link.  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs    Pretty straightforward stuff. 

55 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya, I think Lafs chase Karlsson hard. He's not winning a Cup on Ottawa, he's gone. EDM will chase him as well but I think he picks the Leafs. He'll own the hockey world and go down as one of greatest to ever play the game if he goes to Leafs.

I don't even think he'll take absolute max he can get, he'll take a bit less to go to a team that could win Cups and it's a big market. He's not going to Carolina even if they offer him more money. He's saying what he's saying but no way he signs in certain markets. He's going to a big market big city team. He'll make more money in endorsements if he plays on a team like Leafs. He'll be the biggest star in the NHL. 

I was being sarcastic. Every team in the league will not be lining up to offer a maxed out salary to him. I'm not saying they won't inquire and make offers, but they won't all be for what he's looking for if we take his words at face value. If we do that then he and his agent will go balls out to strike it rich exactly like he says, and that's his prerogative.

Nevertheless, if Ottawa doesn't resign him some GM will absolutely pay him what he's looking for, but if his asking price is 12-13+ million that's probably gonna scare some GM's. We don't really know what TO will look like cap wise until their youth get their next deals so let's say he picks Edmonton and matches McDavid for 12.5/year. It's probably fair to assume they keep both Draisatl and McDavid for the duration of their contracts, and adding Karlsson takes just 3 players up to 33.5 million.

I don't see that happening, and if it does I don't see it actually working unless Edmonton, or whatever team ends up with him, has lucked out with a pile of RFA bridge deals and ELC's from guys able to perform well above their pay grade.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I was being sarcastic. Every team in the league will not be lining up to offer a maxed out salary to him. I'm not saying they won't inquire and make offers, but they won't all be for what he's looking for if we take his words at face value. If we do that then he and his agent will go balls out to strike it rich exactly like he says, and that's his prerogative.

Nevertheless, if Ottawa doesn't resign him some GM will absolutely pay him what he's looking for, but if his asking price is 12-13+ million that's probably gonna scare some GM's. We don't really know what TO will look like cap wise until their youth get their next deals so let's say he picks Edmonton and matches McDavid for 12.5/year. It's probably fair to assume they keep both Draisatl and McDavid for the duration of their contracts, and adding Karlsson takes just 3 players up to 33.5 million.

I don't see that happening, and if it does I don't see it actually working unless Edmonton, or whatever team ends up with him, has lucked out with a pile of RFA bridge deals and ELC's from guys able to perform well above their pay grade.

He's not going to EDM, Chia screwed up the rebuild. He built a big tough team like BOS but the NHL is all about skill and speed now. But make no mistake. IF he chooses to go to EDM they will make necessary moves to sign him. 

HE's going to be UFA, i don't see him wanting to live in EDM. He's going to a big market team. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If that was the case don't you think Leafs would have won the CUp at least once over the past 50+ years. 

Every team has same cap. Not into this conspiracy theory  crap. 

It"s all here on this link.  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs    Pretty straightforward stuff. 

I understand..cos' I'm not really into the "If buddy signs here, he'll get THIS much, PLUS ENDORSEMENTS!" crap..to varying degrees, we're all victims of advertising, & some folks are fine with that.

Everyone has mouths to feed/jobs to do..if media intervention for negotaitions amongst m/billionaires 18 mos out are necessary(& for some, enjoyable), well, I'll be on my merry way, for a good cycle trip and/or jog(with maybe 5$ in rice snacks being involved).

Simply put..sports $$$ has long been outa' hand. Unfortunately pour moi, I've got this untreatable addiction to ice hockey. Have a nice day.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's not going to EDM, Chia screwed up the rebuild. He built a big tough team like BOS but the NHL is all about skill and speed now. But make no mistake. IF he chooses to go to EDM they will make necessary moves to sign him. 

HE's going to be UFA, i don't see him wanting to live in EDM. He's going to a big market team. 

Yeah, I get your point, but you're missing mine as it pertained to your original post I responded to. Not every team in the league is going to offer him what he's looking for if he's looking for a ridiculously high number.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, Karlsson will get paid, and will most likely go to a contender. Strange, him being Swedish, he has the opposite attitude the Sedins have. I would be so choked if Horvat blabbed to the press about how he wants a huge raise and how he's willing to play for whatever team ponies up.   

Vancouver ownership was never really cheap. They always spent to the max,

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, I get your point, but you're missing mine as it pertained to your original post I responded to. Not every team in the league is going to offer him what he's looking for if he's looking for a ridiculously high number.

I get you. But he's not going to sign with any team. There are 3 to 5 teams. All big market. He's not going to sign for 13 mill in Carolina.

Like I said in earlier post, he'll sign with big market team and make up difference with endorsements. That's why Leafs have huge advantage. It's the biggest market in hockey. They have advantages. they'll offer him 10 mill plus their partners will pay 3+ mill per year in endorsements. Just like they offered Stamkos. Keep the cap hit low but EK makes his money, everyone happy. including hockey fans. Imagine EK on that LEafs team, it would be such a treat to watch. So much skill and offense. 

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

What does escrow have to do with anything. Not sure why that is brought up. weird...

Every superstar gets big money, he's top 5 in NHL as far as stars go, right there with OV Crosby McDavid Mathews. 

There are ways to do things. If he signs for 13 mill in Carolina he will barely make anything on endorsements, if he signs in Toronto for 10 mill he'll get 3 plus mill in endorsements. That will be part of the package. Leafs would arrange corporations to sign endorsement deals at same time he signs his contract. Similar to how they tried to sign Stamkos.  

Or if he signs in Texas, Arizona or Florida plus some other teams he saves on taxes. But i see him in big market. NY, TOR are too big possibilities. 

Escrow creates a false cap.  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I get you. But he's not going to sign with any team. There are 3 to 5 teams. All big market. He's not going to sign for 13 mill in Carolina.

Like I said in earlier post, he'll sign with big market team and make up difference with endorsements. That's why Leafs have huge advantage. It's the biggest market in hockey. They have advantages. they'll offer him 10 mill plus their partners will pay 3+ mill per year in endorsements. Just like they offered Stamkos. Keep the cap hit low but EK makes his money, everyone happy. including hockey fans. Imagine EK on that LEafs team, it would be such a treat to watch. So much skill and offense. 

Bet ya Ottawa fans boo him in that scenario.

Archived