The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (discussion)

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sens are looking pretty rough, if they continue to trend down they'll have to seriously consider moving him. They'd miss him for sure, but the assets they could bring in for a player of his caliber would be something else.

He's not looking great right now though.

He’s a coming UFA, who said he will sign where he’s paid the most.  Unless a team is certain they are able to sign him, why would they give up assets for him?  And even the, why not just wait for July 1st? 

IF the Sens were determined to keep the guy, should we take back one of their lousy contracts(Pha9/Ryan), with the condition that Chabot is thrown in? That guy & OJ & we'd have 2 beauts for the LH-D. Maybe Tanev & Try on the right side, some day?

We throw in a contract(or two) that expires soon(like Gagner), so they'd have plenty of space to re-sign EK

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a coming UFA, who said he will sign where he’s paid the most.  Unless a team is certain they are able to sign him, why would they give up assets for him?  And even the, why not just wait for July 1st? 

You know that's 2019, Alf?

Acquire him soon, & you have 2 PO-runs with the guy at a 6.5 mill cap hit.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If a team were to trade for him soon they'd get a year and a half of 6.5M Erik Karlsson, or two playoff runs with a guy who's shown he can be the offensive engine for a team. If they Sens were to open up shop there'd most certainly be a number of teams who would take a good hard look at trading for him, teams will do questionable things to try and put themselves over the hump.

If a team were to trade for him soon they'd get a year and a half of 6.5M Erik Karlsson, or two playoff runs with a guy who's shown he can be the offensive engine for a team. If they Sens were to open up shop there'd most certainly be a number of teams who would take a good hard look at trading for him, teams will do questionable things to try and put themselves over the hump.

Like the Sens just did to get Duchene?  Just so long as we don’t do it. 

Absolutely man..heck, they could sweeten the pot, by retaining a % or taking back some cap hit.

If they really helped a contender, you'd have to assume they'd land at least 5 great young assets. Then demand perhaps ANOTHER 1st R if he re-signs, etc...

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like the Sens just did to get Duchene?  Just so long as we don’t do it. 

I dunno, I interpret them getting Duchene as getting an asset they can control beyond this season because they didn't think they'd be able to afford retaining Turris? If they were to flip Karlsson for assets I'm sure they could likely do the same with Duchene at next season's deadline? Or even this deadline if they're worried about his value dropping? Would certainly help expedite a rebuild!

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Absolutely man..heck, they could sweeten the pot, by retaining a % or taking back some cap hit.

If they really helped a contender, you'd have to assume they'd land at least 5 great young assets. Then demand perhaps ANOTHER 1st R if he re-signs, etc...

Retaining would definitely be the way they go, at that point they're just paying cash for additional assets. I'm not sure Ottawa's penny pinching owner would go for it but it'd be the best case scenario for a Karlsson move!

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, I interpret them getting Duchene as getting an asset they can control beyond this season because they didn't think they'd be able to afford retaining Turris? If they were to flip Karlsson for assets I'm sure they could likely do the same with Duchene at next season's deadline? Would certainly help expedite a rebuild!

Retaining would definitely be the way they go, at that point they're just paying cash for additional assets. I'm not sure Ottawa's penny pinching owner would go for it but it'd be the best case scenario for a Karlsson move!

Say a deal with the Ducks, for example(God forbid!)

OTT: Karlsson & Ben Harpur(big LH D-man)

ANA:

Cam Fowler, signed 8 yrs x 6.5 mill(this yr he's 4 mill, ending contract)

Brandon Montour

Sam Steel

Nick Ritchie

2018 1st round pick

3 guys from Ontario, 1 from Alberta.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Say a deal with the Ducks, for example(God forbid!)

OTT: Karlsson & Ben Harpur(big LH D-man)

ANA:

Cam Fowler, signed 8 yrs x 6.5 mill(this yr he's 4 mill, ending contract)

Brandon Montour

Sam Steel

Nick Ritchie

2018 1st round pick

3 guys from Ontario, 1 from Alberta.

Honestly, they'd be super dangerous with him and that'd be a pretty good package. I'll be surprised if the Sens don't try to make a move sooner or later, I just can't see them ponying up the dough he's gonna want. What a problem to have though, a player like that isn't something many teams unearth.

18 hours ago, shazzam said:

2020 could get really interesting if Doughty, Karlsson and OEL make it to UFA

The Leafs will sign them all because they'll all take discounts to play in the center of the universe.

If in the Ott GM's shoes, I'd try to get this done by TDL. Just be a huge distraction going into next yr. Him goin media-savvy with DaterapeDoughty is a WMD in the desert.

Apparently EK has a 10 team NTC.

Yesterday Winn laid a shellacking on them. Get 5 or 6 pieces, & build a young, complete team like them Jets! Lucky they(bottom 10) protected that 2018 1st to the Avs. These Sens will lay eggs like hens.

He should come to Vancouver and sign a 7 year 9 million deal. That's all I have to say about that... 

Be a man Erik. Come play for a team who has always loved Swedes. 

I think the Trio of Erik, Edler and Patterson could probably combine for 200 power play points on our team annually. 

On 12/4/2017 at 1:03 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Arguably one of the best 3 players in the world, he doesn't have to show loyalty to anyone. Karlsson deserves top dollar and a legitimate Cup chance, not sub-10M by a bunch of cheapskate owners on a team that's forever on the fringe. 

Please explain how they are cheapskate owners... are they not right near the salary cap?

Archived