The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford talks honouring Daniel Saturday, the Sedins, and media influence on players

Green Building

Any reporter worth his salt would have listed the fact he and his brother won Art Ross trophies. Something no other Canuck has ever done. 

He's won the Ted Lindsey Award.

Scored 104 points once. 

All being classy, and a gentleman, just like his brother. 

He's taken a beating during his career. 

They work hard on their conditioning in the offseason. 

Is low maintenance, you rarely hear of grumbling from he and his brother.

Yes there's always the contingent that goes "If they were only tougher, if they were only better on defence..."

They are the players they are. And we've been blessed to see them play here over the years.

Thanks Daniel and Henrik. Ignore the ramblings of the media, or the haters. 

Put this in perspective. Bobby Orr was 85 points shy of 1000 points. 

He and his brother are in an exclusive club.

1000 points, one of only 87 players in LEAGUE history to do so. 

Zetterberg is up next. 

Have a drink when the game is over tonight buddy. You damn well earned every point. 

THE media and nhl will will never give these guys the credit and accolades they earned. Geez some of vancouver own fans won’t. Eastern bias lack of respect and basic ignorance for what these two players have achieved while playing with loyalty grace and humility will NEVER be duplicated again. What a great honour and treat it has been as a fan of this team to watch them DOMINATE the league with creatativity and a cycle game that was second to none.

congratulations   again to Danny on 1000 pts in the nhl and achieving it while not being paraded around as the leagues golden child from day one or at any point for that matter.It says a lot about the character and internal commitment to the game and fans of Vancouver.thankyou.

Poorly written article by Botch (typical)...when you read it and you come away unsure of how the writer actually feels about Daniel and his brother, then that is poorly written. And so lacking in details at all. No mention of the trophies, nor any understanding about those early years under Mark Crawford. Stupid Crow insisted on playing the twins as 3rd liners for way too long. And was never able to give them a decent line mate in that role. They were vastly underutilized by Crow for those first few years. (I believe he has even admitted to that, himself). No wonder their points were so relatively low in those years.

51 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I doubt to many of the players come near these sites. I mean the overall feel within the city. The main stream media causes most of the problems. 1040 have always been the most negative and have pushed that attitude out to the fans. Some of their regular callers are pathetic and they encourage it.

I was referencing more the fans and media than players.  For example, if the outlook here can influence some of the calls made to 1040, then perhaps that will start influencing the media.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I was referencing more the fans and media than players.  For example, if the outlook here can influence some of the calls made to 1040, then perhaps that will start influencing the media.

We live in a age where negative sells.

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

I found the little tidbit about Eberle interesting, but not entirely surprising. Sometimes it's tough enough for a regular Joe to keep positive thoughts, let alone a player under a microscope of negativity in a hockey mad city. I'm sure the weight of that isn't easy to bear regardless of how much money you're making, or how much you desire to improve.

Does anyone agree with Botch that the Twins may have had a harder time trying to break into the league now than they did 17 years ago? 

not sure i agree with botch on that one

they were treated pretty cruelly earlier in their career

i think they simply would not have read a lot of what was said (if they started out now)

their strength is also that there are 2 of them .. closely bonded and supportive

they really have a solid foundation given they are never alone

as each fully understands what the other is going through

i think they are both emotionally and mentally tough dudes

which makes the historical criticism of them kind of ironic

few could have withstood what they did off the ice

and they sure put up with a lot on the ice as well

they also were fortunate to come to a team that had strong personalities

look what burrows accomplished.. the sedins lived most of that with him

look was bertuzzi had to go through . they saw how he managed his turmoil

they had naslund, a fellow countryman, who was dumped by the team that drafted him

and became an almost superstar for the canucks

there are others as well, linden, ohlund, luongo .etc

the people who really count are those on your team

whose opinion about your skill set and performance really resonates

that is the environment linden and benning are trying to create for the current crop of young canucks

and that is one of the reasons the sedins still have a lot of value to the team

and extending them for another year should not be easily dismissed

petersson living amidst and playing with the sedins might be invaluable

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

So what can we learn from this as Canuck fans.

We are now in a rebuilding mode and will see young players come in , some will struggle and go through growing pains. Different personalities will be efected by the media barrage in different ways. Players like Jake who because of their draft position will have huge expectations put on them. 

We need to understand that what we say through today's media can be destructive. The media feeds off negativity because it seems to be what people want to hear.

As fans can we change that? Can we play a part in making Vancouver the best place for young talent to develop and grow?

The Sedins were obviously strong confident people but also had each other to lean on. Having them there certainly helps our young players and gives them someone to look up to. 

What can we as fans do to create a better atmosphere?

Players don't sit on Facebook and Twitter, scrolling through comments sections, looking for what Joe blow has to say about them. The only control we have over opinions is if we boycott the writers representing the fans as always negative... If they sell less papers, or see less hits on the website, maybe they'll be forced to lighten up.  Not likely, but maybe.

1 hour ago, Orcasfan said:

Poorly written article by Botch (typical)...when you read it and you come away unsure of how the writer actually feels about Daniel and his brother, then that is poorly written. And so lacking in details at all. No mention of the trophies, nor any understanding about those early years under Mark Crawford. Stupid Crow insisted on playing the twins as 3rd liners for way too long. And was never able to give them a decent line mate in that role. They were vastly underutilized by Crow for those first few years. (I believe he has even admitted to that, himself). No wonder their points were so relatively low in those years.

I've gotta agree with you.  I could have written this article during my morning coffee, free hand, with no internet.  It's just another diahrea article spewed out into toilet bowl of Vancouver hockey articles.

I don't really like or hate Botchford the person, but I don't like his writing.  He editorializes his articles and leads readers to a conclusion with choosing which facts to use or omit, but that is his prerogative.  If he wasn't making his bosses happy he wouldn't have a job, so some people must be entertained.  There are two things I dislike about this article in particular.  One, he made no mention of the many accomplishments, including the success Danny had after coming back after his injury and elevating his game to Art Ross level.  The second issue I have is how Botchford skirts around the issue of whether the Sedins would be able to replicate their success in today's NHL.   It read like a backhanded compliment. 

I have so much respect and admiration for the Sedins, they are two of my favourite all time players, understated, classy, gifted with the "sight" and mindblowingly talented in the offensive cycle.  I can appreciate that this is as close to a compliment Botch can give in his pessimistic, negative,myopic view of the world, and I appreciate that he is standing up for Danny in his own way, but I would suggest that it is OK for him to put his fan cap on for a brief moment and relish in Danny's amazing accomplishment.

I raise my glass to Daniel Sedin.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm pretty vocal with my dislike of Botchford, but he wrote an article that doesn't actually suck for once, so... good job, Botch. I kind of forgot you had it in ya', keep it up, bud.

Sorry Green, but you've allowed this tool to lower your standards.

This is the usual garbage - not worth reading.

My buddies hated the Sedins in the early years and I was always defending them.  Their stat trajectory was always improving each year and they got better and better.  Not every top 5 pick comes into the league and makes an immediate impact and its important to remember that with regards to Juolevi and Virtanen.

6 hours ago, tas said:

believe it or not, in his earlier days at the province, Botchford was actually the voice of reason and a pretty damn good journalist. 

during the Nonis years is when I remember seeing more of his articles, and I looked forward to reading them. at the time the 2 dominant province Canucks writers were Tony Gallagher and Ed Willes, who generally had conflicting views on most matters, Gallagher a little more negative, Willes a little more positive. Botchford would write articles that by comparison seemed unbiased and fairly neutral and were usually informative and insightful. 

after Nonis was axed and replaced by Gallagher's buddy Mike Gillis, Tony and Ed basically swapped roles as far as tone went. At the same time, Willes started writing fewer and fewer Canucks pieces in general and Botchford got a bigger role, and due to the negativity void, he had to take up that side of things. 

as the social media revolution motored on and more and more traditional print media outlets were forced to cut back, Botchford decided to embrace the social media and ditched his journalistic ethics and trudged through the mud with all of the bloggers and Twitter morons that didn't have the obligation of maintaining journalistic integrity. this was his way of surviving, I assume. 

at the same time, Postmedia merged the province and the sun and Gallagher soon retired, leaving the two opposite forces of Botchford vs. Iain MacIntyre. Botch was your typical black hat, negative and happy to fight dirty, and IMac was the last bastion of light, an old school white knight who valued his journalistic credentials over all. we all know how that turned out.

now it's just Botchford left, with Ben Kuzma sort of lurking in the shadows putting out inoculous, non-confrontational articles and trying to stay out of the way. 

that's how I remember it at least. send that post to Botchford and let him address it in the Provies. 

Pretty much exactly how I remember it as well.  I thought Botch came off a lot more balanced with Rintoul on the radio years ago, too.

He still has half an eye for a fair comment so he usually covers his butt with one line out of an entire article that he can call back to when called out for being negative.  What's sad is that it's the negative drivel that his twitter toadies latch on to... bunch of sad, angsty little nerds.

Edit: That said, sometimes I think Botch's "true" colors aren't that great.  When he's chortling with Patterson or taking shots at Willie way after the fact, laughing about his Wife being mad (totally offside), obnoxious little digs at IMac... but then gets all defensive when Thornton took exception to "stroke-it" gate.  He's a coward.

22 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

My buddies hated the Sedins in the early years and I was always defending them.  Their stat trajectory was always improving each year and they got better and better.  Not every top 5 pick comes into the league and makes an immediate impact and its important to remember that with regards to Juolevi and Virtanen.

I was in the "trade the sisters" crowd as well, but the game back then still had more hitting and scrums. I did defend them as being able to eat up the clock with their cycling, but didn't think they could excel in that game of the day. The game changed and their incredible durability helped them immensely rarely did they have to play alone.

If they had been on a team that didn't have the Westcoast Express on it they would likely have received more icetime, a couple more minutes per game and got more PP time which they didn't hardly get at all.

They also seemed to mature late, at 20 they still had those round cherub faces that didn't look like the needed to shave but once every couple of weeks.

Many teams have players that have achieved 1000 pts, few have two at the same time. 

Archived