The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Nick Bjugstad?

Just wondering what CDC's thought would be on trying to acquire Nick Bjugstad from the florida panthers.

He has 3 years left after this season on his current deal at a cap hit of 4.1m per season. Modified NTC in final season

He is 25 years old, 6'6'' 218lb right shot

Currently this season he has played 25 games scored 5g added 6a 11pts.

Would Florida want to try and move his heft contract?

Could we try to move Gagner who has less term and a smaller cap hit as part of the deal?

Curious what you think his value is or what it would take to get him. I like the idea of him being a right handed shot centerman with some speed and size not that he is overly physical

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

I've liked the idea of Bjugstad for awhile. He was awful last year, doing better this year. Not sure what his value would be. I've heard Tallon has interest in Gudbranson. Could a player like Granlund get it done? I dunno, but I don't see Gagner getting moved quite yet. 

he should be able to I would think. 

36 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Just wondering what CDC's thought would be on trying to acquire Nick Bjugstad from the florida panthers.

He has 3 years left after this season on his current deal at a cap hit of 4.1m per season. Modified NTC in final season

He is 25 years old, 6'6'' 218lb right shot

Currently this season he has played 25 games scored 5g added 6a 11pts.

Would Florida want to try and move his heft contract?

Could we try to move Gagner who has less term and a smaller cap hit as part of the deal?

Curious what you think his value is or what it would take to get him. I like the idea of him being a right handed shot centerman with some speed and size not that he is overly physical

Bjugstad could be a good addition and may be a prime candidate for a change of scenery. Unfortunately, I can't see it on this team. 

What I'm seeing in our system is looking very promising. Pettersson is ripping up the SHL and is looking like a lock for top two center with us. Gaudette is showing himself to be a very capable middleman in the NCAA and is one I see as our future third line center. If this came to be, which I see being very realistic, there wouldn't be much room down the middle for the big man. 

He can also play right wing but, again we are beginning to see some depth arriving. With Boeser and Goldy seeming to be the heirs apparent for the top two spots, I see a guy like Lind filling the number 3 spot.

If we didn't have Sutter's ntc I'd be more for it but as it stands I don't see the room for him long term.

Bjugstad has top 9 talent, no doubt, but I like what we have developing better and with JB's scouting skills, we will be getting more of the same in coming years.

For these reasons I say no thanks but I can see why you'd want him.

7 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Bjugstad could be a good addition and may be a prime candidate for a change of scenery. Unfortunately, I can't see it on this team. 

What I'm seeing in our system is looking very promising. Pettersson is ripping up the SHL and is looking like a lock for top two center with us. Gaudette is showing himself to be a very capable middleman in the NCAA and is one I see as our future third line center. If this came to be, which I see being very realistic, there wouldn't be much room down the middle for the big man. 

He can also play right wing but, again we are beginning to see some depth arriving. With Boeser and Goldy seeming to be the heirs apparent for the top two spots, I see a guy like Lind filling the number 3 spot.

If we didn't have Sutter's ntc I'd be more for it but as it stands I don't see the room for him long term.

Bjugstad has top 9 talent, no doubt, but I like what we have developing better and with JB's scouting skills, we will be getting more of the same in coming years.

For these reasons I say no thanks but I can see why you'd want him.

Pettersson is playing RW right now and dominating. There’s no guarantee that he will be a C when he makes it to the NHL. The idea was to have him as a C but things don’t always work out that way.

8 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

When was the last time a Florida deal worked in our favor ? 

markstrom has done fairly well hasnt he?

The guddy trade is a toss up, I liked the trade until I saw McCann as part of it then I was a tad disappointed that we gave up on him so early. The kid is just under 200lb now, grown into is frame quite well.

Bjug would be a great addition, but I think Fla would want more than what the Nucks want to give up.

Besides, Gaudette is looking to be the up and coming right shooting  C for our team.  Got a lot more snarl than Bjug and already has a relationship with the other prospects and young players.

8 hours ago, Yotes said:

markstrom has done fairly well hasnt he?

The guddy trade is a toss up, I liked the trade until I saw McCann as part of it then I was a tad disappointed that we gave up on him so early. The kid is just under 200lb now, grown into is frame quite well.

Markstrom has been ok so far but i'd rather still have Lou. Trading for Lou worked good at the time, that's probably our best trade with Florida.

Guddy has been mediocre at best, we definitely overpaid in that trade.

With Gaudette, Pettersson and Horvat leading the way down the middle i don't think we need bjugstad, I would rather try to improve our backend.

• 6 months later...

Gunna give this thread a bump, I think Nick Bjugstad would be a great addition to our club.  He is big, responsible, and had a solid bounce back season. 

Looking at Florida Panther's articles, TSN's offseason plan, and Panthers bloggers, they all unanimous agree that the Panthers need scoring help along the wings.

Behind the big Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov line, the Panthers have Jared McCann and Owen Tippett.  They need scoring depth...as do we, but we need it in a different position, and we have a surplus, one that is of need to the Panthers.

Would a Sven Baertschi for Nick Bjugstad make sense?  

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gunna give this thread a bump, I think Nick Bjugstad would be a great addition to our club.  He is big, responsible, and had a solid bounce back season. 

Looking at Florida Panther's articles, TSN's offseason plan, and Panthers bloggers, they all unanimous agree that the Panthers need scoring help along the wings.

Behind the big Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov line, the Panthers have Jared McCann and Owen Tippett.  They need scoring depth...as do we, but we need it in a different position, and we have a surplus, one that is of need to the Panthers.

o

Would a Sven Baertschi for Nick Bjugstad make sense?  

Not for Florida.  Bjugstad played with Barkov as RW1. 

21 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If he was free I might slot him in now that we need a centre but I certainly wouldn't give anything good up for him

Bjugstad has played more wing than C lately (started already under Gallant).  Boughner was trying different things to start the season but then settled with Bjugstad as RW1.  Barkov/Trocheck are C1/C2 and McCann was C3.  

Archived