The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How is Travis Green Doing So Far?

JamesB

Travis Green's Performance  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

What really is a new change of scenery is that so far Green is not a stubborn coach like AV, Torts, and Willie were. Rolls 4 lines, has everyone involved and when things aren't working he switches up the line combos and see how things go. Obviously, still too early in the season but Green is definitely the right fit for this team. 

I voted for above average.

This is the way I see it as well. He is still trying things and he's not scared to change his lineup or deployment from game to game, or even within the game. The most noticeable difference from the past few seasons is that set plays are back. The Sedins have been the best at making things happen off of the faceoff and it's nice to see that in the Canucks playbook again.

I watch lots of out of town broadcasts because I like the opposing teams take on the Canucks and I've heard enough of Shorty and Cheech to know exactly what they're going to say. There is a lot of praise coming from around the league about the structure and the neutral zone/ positional play of the Canucks.

His  970 career NHL games played holds a lot of weight with the players. He seems to be a player's coach who has the ear of his players and treats them each on a person by person basis. I really wish Tryamkin hadn't exercised his right to refuse a demotion to the AHL. He might have had a different outlook after a few practices and games with the Utica coaching staff.

I voted, but I think it is too early to tell . . .I am happy that the game against Toronto he let Jake Virtanen PLAY . . .   That is exactly what he needs to do is play.   You have got to give slack to young players that make mistakes or they will never get better.   I thought Jake looked pretty good last night and at the very least it seemed to me that he played a lot.

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

This is the way I see it as well. He is still trying things and he's not scared to change his lineup or deployment from game to game, or even within the game. The most noticeable difference from the past few seasons is that set plays are back. The Sedins have been the best at making things happen off of the faceoff and it's nice to see that in the Canucks playbook again.

I watch lots of out of town broadcasts because I like the opposing teams take on the Canucks and I've heard enough of Shorty and Cheech to know exactly what they're going to say. There is a lot of praise coming from around the league about the structure and the neutral zone/ positional play of the Canucks.

His  970 career NHL games played holds a lot of weight with the players. He seems to be a player's coach who has the ear of his players and treats them each on a person by person basis. I really wish Tryamkin hadn't exercised his right to refuse a demotion to the AHL. He might have had a different outlook after a few practices and games with the Utica coaching staff.

I wonder if he's tempted at all to dress himself as a 4th liner for 30 games over the course of his tenure here.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Best part... When I watch Canucks this season, I mostly actually feel very entertained, even when we don't win. 

Very important to point out. That statement perfectly summarizes what I've enjoyed most about our new coach. 

Travis is not a chicken-s**t. He's implemented an exciting style that players love to play and it shows. We've won a lot of games after falling behind very early.

That's a coach that isn't scared to let his team play a full 200ft. Willy didn't seem to acknowledge 200ft. He's like a 140ft coach. 

The team is responding very well to the system change. I haven't found myself falling asleep in the second period this season! 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Add Vey and Megna to WD’s list of fringe NHL players he loved.  If we still had WD you just know he’d have Burmistrov playing 20+ minutes/ game.

I wonder now if Willie knew the extent of Vey's family troubles and was trying to help the kid? But Megna... there's no excuse for more Megna. 

I have watched almost all of Green's pre-game, post-game and practice interviews. He is definitely above average for an NHL coach. There has never been a perfect coach in the NHL nor will there be in the future - they are humans and make mistakes too. Considering he is a rookie coach, he has really exceeded his expectations. I have seen some clips of the team's post-game celebrations and he certainly is engaged with each and every player in the dressing room. He may be hard on some guys if they're not playing the right way or aren't showing the effort, but that is for the better of that individual. I think we should consider ourselves lucky that no other team picked him up, as he is the right fit for the future of this team.

Travis Green is a keeper. He has shown the ability to get the most out of the players on this team, allowing them to play to their strengths. 

He's been extremely mindful of keeping all team related issues behind the scenes. Benching Boeser and Virtanen caused serious ripples amongst the media and some of the fanbase, but in retrospect, it was perfectly done. He knows what the players need and gives it to them. 

I especially enjoy how he handles the media. He offers up information, but only if he sees fit, and doesn't have any issue dismissing any reporter if need be. 

Considering that he's only in his first year coaching in the NHL, I'd say that Linden and Benning chose very wisely. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder now if Willie knew the extent of Vey's family troubles and was trying to help the kid? But Megna... there's no excuse for more Megna. 

Willie just wanted to win.  I really believe that.  He played certain players over others because he felt they would not cost him.  Face it, other than Willies first year, his line up was pretty thin.

On Linden Vey, Willie had a previous relationship with Vey.  He was one of his go to guys in Medicine Hat and based on his record in Manchester, he should have done well in the NHL.  Obviously, he's one of the guys who do well in the AHL and have difficulty making the leap to the NHL.  Willie gave him a long rope to begin with but after a couple of months, cut back his ice time.  There was a lot of hot air coming out of CDC at the time about Vey and most of it imo ignored that Vey did get his ice time cut back.  He was cut loose by Benning during Willies tenure.

Megna was one of the players who Willie could put in most situations and he would do ok defensively.  He could skate and he could check.  Not much else.  Don't get me wrong, I have made posts to the effect that he should not be an NHL player.  If things go right, we won't see him in Van again.  But if you have a kid who's going to throw the odd puck into the slot because he doesn't know what else to do with it or a guy like Megna who will eat the puck, Willie will take Megna.

Team depth is much better this year and I'm sure it will be even better next year.  Megna will not be re-signed if things go right.  :)

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

What really is a new change of scenery is that so far Green is not a stubborn coach like AV, Torts, and Willie were. Rolls 4 lines, has everyone involved and when things aren't working he switches up the line combos and see how things go. Obviously, still too early in the season but Green is definitely the right fit for this team. 

I voted for above average.

Good point. I had not put my finger on it before, but AV, Torts and Willie were all pretty stubborn. They had a strong prior view on how things should work out and were slow to adjust. Green adjusts much more quickly. I suppose that it is important to have patience and maintain belief in your own judgements, but I am guessing that most coaches take that too far. I really like Green's willingness to respond to what actually happens more that to prior beliefs.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think he is doing well but I would not commit to any of your options because it is far too early to say.

I think a coach needs at least 2 seasons ....

Yes, it is early but, hey, half the comments on CDC would disappear if we had to wait to assemble a large body of evidence before expressing opinions. It is a fair point that it is too early to make any kind of definitive call. But most of us have opinions about how Green is doing so far, and I think the comments are interesting.

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I've been saying this for months ... Green is a student of the coaches he's played for in his career. 

He's taken something from Al Arbour, Pat Quinn, Randy Carlyle, Mike Sullivan, Paul Maurice, ....

You can already see the maturity in his decisions in deployment, matchups, ice time, ...

By all accounts, Al Arbour had a particularly big influence on Green, and that is certainly a big positive.

6 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

He's doing well because he is easy to lip read and you can tell what he feels about the refs 

Yeah, I kind of like seeing the F-bombs Travis hurls at the referees when they make a call he doesn't like. I am guessing that the players like to see him stand up for them in that way.  It is also important not to p*** off the referees too much, but I think Travis picks his spots. He is somewhere between Torts and WD and I think that is the right place to be.

6 hours ago, taskicon said:

Here are the top things I like about Green. He is very smart and understands the game. In his post game interviews he always seems to have a very honest view of how the team played  ....

Agreed. His post game interviews are much better than AV, Torts, and WD. AV was a good coach and a good guy, but he played his cards close to his chest. Torts was unpredictable, and would often make to comments to manipulate the players or the media. WD's comments were repetitive. It was always something along the lines of "we had a good first period, a real good second period, but struggled in the third" -- as if dividing the comments into periods adds much. I really like Green's interviews. They seem honest and contain a lot of insight. I certainly learn more from his comments than from the comments of previous coaches in the recent past. 

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

Very important to point out. That statement perfectly summarizes what I've enjoyed most about our new coach. 

Travis is not a chicken-s**t. He's implemented an exciting style that players love to play and it shows. We've won a lot of games after falling behind very early.

That's a coach that isn't scared to let his team play a full 200ft. Willy didn't seem to acknowledge 200ft. He's like a 140ft coach. 

The team is responding very well to the system change. I haven't found myself falling asleep in the second period this season! 

Are you another one too short sighted to realise these are two different rosters in personnel and experience. Willie got to the SC playoffs in his first season - have you forgotten that?

I suggest you fall asleep because you just might have the attention span of budgie.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Not blowing my own horn,but I said this from the outset (I think you can check posters history)...Green was the perfect coach for this team..He's the best coach we've had since AV...

I'm sure WD would have given his left one for AVs team or Travis Green's for that matter. 

WD was a winner, unfortunately Babcock himself could not have won with a handful of juniors, first year rookies and AHL lifers. 

In fact Babcock finished 2 places below WD in 30th place in season 2015-16 - even with his superior roster.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

+100 its a sport about winning, but you also want entertainment.... 

Archived