The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How is Travis Green Doing So Far?

JamesB

Travis Green's Performance  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Too early to provide a poll response but he seems to have his players ready each game (check), he seems to be clearly aware of the players who are still on their development path (check), he seems to have a deaf ear to the media (check) and he seems to have a plan to dictate the style of each game versus letting the other team dictate (check).   Those are four important boxes to have checked if you are a rookie NHL coach barely a 1/3 way into your first season.

Test for him will be not so much to maintain any given point total/pace - that is not the aim for this season - but to keep a competitive atmosphere and allow those who need to grow that ability to grow (including using tough love) and to figure out what pieces make sense to keep moving forward over the next few seasons and advice management as to those thoughts in a way that is listened to so he can make this "his team" as right now, it isn't fully yet as he inherited pretty much all of it and only tweaked the roster for this season.

This is so spot on...

He is working towards a goal. We are not yet there, but step by step... 

He is the coach and part of the management team. He him self is still finding out what he can use in his system, what would beneficial and what is a miss. 

Its then up to JB to get the Players, Green feels he may need to compete in the top end. 

It is all a process...

I’m very pleased with what Travis has been able to do with the team. Might be a long shot to make the post-season as rough times are still ahead in this young season. 

I honestly wasn’t against keeping WD. It was only towards the later part of last season I started to get a bit frustrated with his descisions to play certain players in situations they clearly weren’t capable of handling. And doing it repeatledly. Felt he was a bit stubborn at times. Still no hard feelings towards him. The team was not string enough to manouver too much with last year.

Travis has a big workload here, but he seems like the man for the job!

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Too early to provide a poll response but he seems to have his players ready each game (check), he seems to be clearly aware of the players who are still on their development path (check), he seems to have a deaf ear to the media (check) and he seems to have a plan to dictate the style of each game versus letting the other team dictate (check).   Those are four important boxes to have checked if you are a rookie NHL coach barely a 1/3 way into your first season.

Test for him will be not so much to maintain any given point total/pace - that is not the aim for this season - but to keep a competitive atmosphere and allow those who need to grow that ability to grow (including using tough love) and to figure out what pieces make sense to keep moving forward over the next few seasons and advice management as to those thoughts in a way that is listened to so he can make this "his team" as right now, it isn't fully yet as he inherited pretty much all of it and only tweaked the roster for this season.

As with all your posts Rob, spot on! Patient team development is one of the top priorities IMHO. 

Some had Vancouver ranked dead last for this year, with most analysts putting us between 28-31. This team is middle of the pack for points, with an even goal differential. What I find weird is we are ranked 22 for GF, 10 for GA. 

Either way, can't argue that Green is doing an at least above average job. I think we did ice a slightly better team with the free agent signings plus bringing in Brock. Loui is playing how I expected Loui to play when we signed him so that is a positive sign. 

If we squeeze into the playoffs and draft Jett Woo this year would more than exceed my expectations. 

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Some had Vancouver ranked dead last for this year, with most analysts putting us between 28-31. This team is middle of the pack for points, with an even goal differential. What I find weird is we are ranked 22 for GF, 10 for GA. 

Either way, can't argue that Green is doing an at least above average job. I think we did ice a slightly better team with the free agent signings plus bringing in Brock. Loui is playing how I expected Loui to play when we signed him so that is a positive sign. 

If we squeeze into the playoffs and draft Jett Woo this year would more than exceed my expectations. 

I was one of those who had Van at least bottom 10 in the league. The Twins with Ericksson producing makes a huge difference for this team. Injuries always seem to lurk. If they draft in the middle rounds I can only hope that Benning can move some vets to add a 1st & 2nd Round picks. The 2018 Draft is so deep that Benning should have a field day.  

Watch Travis’s press conference today, first class.  He seems to have such a natural grasp of coaching and the game itself, and clearly has the media figured out and isn’t drawn into the black holes they often try and create.  As the year progresses, he is more relaxed and revealing a good sense of humour.

I love that despite all the recent setbacks with injuries, he sees the way through all of this, and it isn’t asking players to do more than they are capable of.  He simply wants them to play up to their abilities, be consistent and pay attention to details (the little things really matter).  Despite losing much of his offense, he doesn’t want to revert to a stifling defensive play, but instead states the need to continue to play a fast hard aggressive game.  And that, regardless of the direct results, will at least be far more entertaining than what we saw last year when we ran into injuries. 

I like the way he sees the game and how he is committed to instilling a new culture for this team, for these players and those that will be coming up in the next few years.

what id like to see is some grits called up so they can create some room out there..this what id like to see during the big injuries..play a tight grinding game and see who can play hard nose hockey..its too soft at the moment and you cant win with the style of players left on the roster.change it for now linden..get some guys that will crash and bang with a purpose and i think the canucks get few wins in this tough  time.

Archived