The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lindsay Shepherd vs Wilfrid Laurier University

Dral

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This trend seems prevalent around all of Canada and the US these days, though oddly enough only by those in power at universities. It seems the majority (on both sides of the spectrum) wants to have open conversation, but a select few in power seem to restrict it. It's encouraging at least to see the general consensus on CDC.

I'm not sure about this. Just because you hear about it more often in the news, doesn't mean it is becoming more prevalent, just that more people are recognizing it as an issue, which IMO is a good thing. The individual in this case that initiated the meeting with Lindsay Shepherd was an Assistant Professor, which means they are pre-tenure. They are not going to hold any real power at the university. 

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Universities.

The higher education centers.  As long as you don't debate anything, try to learn anything or think outside of the prescribed boxes you're allowed.

Sadly this has been happening since I left Carleton in 2001.  Just getting worse.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but this is not my experience at all and sounds like you're bitterness is allowing you to make sweeping generalizations uninformed by proper evidence. Ironically, this is the exact type of post-modernism thinking that Peterson is arguing against. 

32 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not sure about this. Just because you hear about it more often in the news, doesn't mean it is becoming more prevalent, just that more people are recognizing it as an issue, which IMO is a good thing. The individual in this case that initiated the meeting with Lindsay Shepherd was an Assistant Professor, which means they are pre-tenure. They are not going to hold any real power at the university. 

What I meant with the people in power, were that they were the ones restricting open discussion, Lindsay Shepherd was one pushing for open discussion and she seemed a bit more student-ish to me in this case. The case was the same with Peterson when it was the ones in power over him at U of T. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I agree with the rest of what you said, but it is kind of inaccurate to say "always with those liberal arts students" when Lindsay Shepherd is a liberal arts student standing up for free speech. 

Hence I said "studies", meaning the faculty as well.  

Archived