The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Goalie Market Hot Right Now.

How many teams are looking for really good back ups right now? 4 or 5?

For the Canucks, a team that has Demko almost ready and DiPietro in the system, this could be big push in the rewhatever is happening, but if rebuilding then a really big help.

I don't know what would happen if the Canucks traded to get Luongo back but this injury could be it, the last one, it would be interesting to trade for him and what would it do to cap recapture? The team would be trading back salary saving Florida money. It isn't like he would even have to show up here, just rehab in Florida.

Let's not get hung up with trading FOR Luongo, it was just idle speculation of what it would do in the cap world.

The Canucks could have a very much enhanced value in either one of the two goalies here.

Demko could be called up and DiPietro moved to the farm, there is also another goalie in the system, I forgot his name, that other college goalie.

Some of the teams needing goalies are looking to make the playoffs and jobs might be on the line if they don't have a change in the game results, desperation might be creeping in with each starter that goes down.

With a little creativity the return(s) could be very much more than normal. 

No to Lu, he would probably retire instead of coming back to Vancouver. As much as some of us would love to have him back here, he doesn't want to be here.  

I kind of like the goalie tandem we currently have, two giant Swedish monsters. And they're both playing very well. They're both youngish and Nilsson only has a 2-year contract, so he'll probably be gone in 2019. Enter Demko. 

Teams may be looking for a backup goalie, but the return for a backup is pretty low. Not worth it.

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No to Lu, he would probably retire instead of coming back to Vancouver. As much as some of us would love to have him back here, he doesn't want to be here.  

I kind of like the goalie tandem we currently have, two giant Swedish monsters. And they're both playing very well. They're both youngish and Nilsson only has a 2-year contract, so he'll probably be gone in 2019. Enter Demko. 

Teams may be looking for a backup goalie, but the return for a backup is pretty low. Not worth it.

Plus, didn't he just shatter his hip?

41 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

How many teams are looking for really good back ups right now? 4 or 5?

For the Canucks, a team that has Demko almost ready and DiPietro in the system, this could be big push in the rewhatever is happening, but if rebuilding then a really big help.

I don't know what would happen if the Canucks traded to get Luongo back but this injury could be it, the last one, it would be interesting to trade for him and what would it do to cap recapture? The team would be trading back salary saving Florida money. It isn't like he would even have to show up here, just rehab in Florida.

Let's not get hung up with trading FOR Luongo, it was just idle speculation of what it would do in the cap world.

The Canucks could have a very much enhanced value in either one of the two goalies here.

Demko could be called up and DiPietro moved to the farm, there is also another goalie in the system, I forgot his name, that other college goalie.

Some of the teams needing goalies are looking to make the playoffs and jobs might be on the line if they don't have a change in the game results, desperation might be creeping in with each starter that goes down.

With a little creativity the return(s) could be very much more than normal. 

Getting Lu back isn't a bad idea if he's now permanently on the LTIR as it would free up a salary retention spot. But really there's no reason too unless something really good is coming back from Florida. Lu isn't going to retire and nail us with the cap recapture, he'll continue to cash his cheques on LTIR until 2022.

I don't really mind trading one of Marky or Nilsson, but if we do it needs to have a 1st round pick and prospect attached otherwise forget it, we'd just be doing some team a huge favour.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Getting Lu back isn't a bad idea if he's now permanently on the LTIR as it would free up a salary retention spot. But really there's no reason too unless something really good is coming back from Florida. Lu isn't going to retire and nail us with the cap recapture, he'll continue to cash his cheques on LTIR until 2022.

I don't really mind trading one of Marky or Nilsson, but if we do it needs to have a 1st round pick and prospect attached otherwise forget it, we'd just be doing some team a huge favour.

If dealing with Florida I could see a package that might include Gudbranson as well. Tallon isn't a "sit on my hands" type of GM and Florida needs the playoffs to make money. I wouldn't want to have McCann back though, the Nucks burned that bridge but one of their high end or priced prospects/players would not be out of line. Maybe even a three for two deal, the add a current skater off the roster.

It would really depend on exactly the Canucks are doing, rebuild, re-tool, building, going all out for a playoff spot, whatever. If they do have a plan would they make any deals before the TDL? Is the plan to wait until then and then decide depending on the standings?

Of course which team might be a consideration, the old school way was to never trade within the division but FA changed that approach 15 years ago and again it depends on what the plan is, if rebuild and the target is for 2020 or beyond then it doesn't/shouldn't matter what team as long as the Canucks aren't trading a super star.

Wouldn’t  have any issues with one of markstrom or Nilsson getting moved for the right price(picks /prospects), a goalie should be coming back thou just so demko can get another full year as the starter down in the farm. 

And As much as I like louie I wouldn’t want to see him come back unless it’s to collect LTIR and avoid cap (bs) repacture.but I don’t think he’s ready to call it a career.

im all for moving guys out and prospects/picks in.

The playoffs won’t do this team any long term favours but trading pending ufas will.

15 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It would really depend on exactly the Canucks are doing, rebuild, re-tool, building, going all out for a playoff spot, whatever. If they do have a plan would they make any deals before the TDL? Is the plan to wait until then and then decide depending on the standings?

That's the issue right there. FLA needs a goalie now and possibly for the future, and we'd be giving up on our season if we moved a goalie now. I guess if Horvat is out long-term it might make some sense so we'll see.  The way Marky has developed I'm sure they'd be happy to get him back.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Exactly, we trade for Luongo, he stays at home in Florida on LTIR and he doesn't kill our cap.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Getting a 1st rounder and a prospect for either goaltender is a fantasy.  To put things in perspective, Ben Bishop was traded for a 4th round pick...no way a team forks over a 1st round pick for Markstrom or Nilsson. 

3 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Getting a 1st rounder and a prospect for either goaltender is a fantasy.  To put things in perspective, Ben Bishop was traded for a 4th round pick...no way a team forks over a 1st round pick for Markstrom or Nilsson. 

totally different situations. Bishop was bounced around between 3 teams that year and wasn't particularity good on any of them and headed for UFA status.

For us it makes no sense to move them for anything less, their value to us is too high.

I would rather move a goalie at the draft if at all possible. Only if management really, really thinks Demko is NHL ready next season. His numbers have been solid, but we haven't had a chance to see him play at all yet in the NHL. I could see him simmering for possibly one more year in the A, only if he doesn't get any NHL games this season. Stupid to wish for injuries to either of our goalies and trading one before we even see if he is ready is also stupid and could hurt Demko's development.

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

totally different situations. Bishop was bounced around between 3 teams that year and wasn't particularity good on any of them and headed for UFA status.

For us it makes no sense to move them for anything less, their value to us is too high.

All the better, how high is the value of Demko and DiPietro in 2 or 3 years?

If the team can package a deal with Florida, Guddy, goalie and ? for Luo and ?

In the western conference the team will need a few larger men for the playoffs, Bjugstad? But the Nucks would have to add active players, maybe Granlund or Burmistrov or Vanek? I am not selling this idea, it is just idle rambling.

It really depends on what the plan is, the future or today? Not trading for the future is the same as trading away the future if a good enough deal that addresses what will be needed in 2 or 3 years is left on the table.

In Montreal's heyday most of their trades were for the future and it seemed to work, whereas TO traded for the now and got old and got caught in the middle of the pact putting bandaids on top of bandaids.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

DiPietro was returned to his junior team before the season started.  Going to the AHL is not an option until the Spitfire's season is over.  He's only 18 so he's likely to stay in junior another year yet.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

All the better, how high is the value of Demko and DiPietro in 2 or 3 years?

If the team can package a deal with Florida, Guddy, goalie and ? for Luo and ?

In the western conference the team will need a few larger men for the playoffs, Bjugstad? But the Nucks would have to add active players, maybe Granlund or Burmistrov or Vanek? I am not selling this idea, it is just idle rambling.

It really depends on what the plan is, the future or today? Not trading for the future is the same as trading away the future if a good enough deal that addresses what will be needed in 2 or 3 years is left on the table.

In Montreal's heyday most of their trades were for the future and it seemed to work, whereas TO traded for the now and got old and got caught in the middle of the pact putting bandaids on top of bandaids.

Guddy and Markstrom for 2018 FLA 1st and Bjugstad, and Lu's LTIR? You'd have to take that seriously. But it only works if Lu's done.

36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If a team got desperate(injury to their main guy) & offered a top prospect/2018 1st, we should listen. But our tandem is so solid, not sure we should make a move.

With gt injuries up this yr, the thread's notion isn't far-fetched at all.

I don't disagree with your comments at all, but I am having a real hard time deciding the smartest move, which could be to do nothing????

But if you look back a year ago, Miller and Markstrom were a great tandem and yet we still ended up at/near the bottom

FF to today, and we have 2 goalies that are playing great, and a lot more team depth, but nothing really has changed in regards to top end players besides Broeser

Are we one injury away from falling, or are we on a solid playoff run???? Personally, I think there is so much "EQUALITY" in the league, that we are as good as most!

But, everyone is playing well, and we are still short 1 or 2 quality young Offensive Dmen away long term................

The question that should be asked is, are we still rebuilding and what do we do with the extra forwards, next year, if all our prospects start maturing and deserve NHL spots?

Do we pass up the opportunity to cash in now????? I personally, would move players, but what is the risk? Do we end up like Edmonton, or do we benefit from moving players and end up stronger............

Bettmen really has changed the landscape with these looser points, as it muddies the waters and makes things a little less clear......

I say take the risk and move Nilsson and Gudbranson for Pysyk and Arizona's 2nd

Archived