The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Roberto Luongo out 6-8 weeks

Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo is expected to miss 6-8 weeks with a groin injury, according to Patrick Johnston of Province Sports. He underwent an MRI, and the results showed that this is the same injury that sidelined him for eight weeks while he was with the Vancouver Canucks back in 2008.

Panthers coach Bob Boughner said that Luongo is going to miss an “extended period of time,” per Panthers reporter Jameson Olive.

Luongo suffered the injury against the New York Islanders on Monday night. He made a save and then crumpled to the ice and needed to be helped off.

The 38-year-old has started all 15 games in which he has played this season, registering a save percentage of 92.8 percent.

Luongo is in his fifth year of his second stint with the Panthers. Florida acquired him in a trade with the Canucks back in March 2014.

He was originally selected by the Islanders with the fourth overall pick of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft and made his debut during the 1999-00 campaign, playing in 24 games and posting a save percentage of 90.4 percent.

New York proceeded to trade Luongo to the Panthers that offseason, and he went on to spend the next five years of his career with Florida, making the All-Star team in 2003-04 after leading the league in saves.

The Panthers dealt Luongo to the Canucks that summer.

Luongo resided in Vancouver for seven and a half seasons, making one All-Star team (2006-07) and earning the William H. Jennings Trophy for the fewest goals scored against in 2010-11.

The Panthers are 10-13-4 on the year.

https://www.fanragsports.com/report-roberto-luongo-out-6-8-weeks-with-groin-injury/

He underwent an MRI, and the results showed that this is the same injury that sidelined him for eight weeks while he was with the Vancouver Canucks back in 2008.

Guess it wasn't coincidence that this is exactly what I thought of when I saw Luongo go down. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

That’s too bad he was having a great season on a bad team. 

Suprised well not really that Florida hasn’t found a guy to split dities more evenly with there now 38 year old starter, sure hope he doesn’t start thinking about the R word. Or Vancouver will be in a bad place. 

He was not the same goalie after the initial groin injury with the Canucks. He was so athletic in his first few years with us, and then relied much more on positioning during his latter years. It could be a mixture of Rollie Melanson's coaching style, but it didn't look like he had the same flexibility, and he looked tentative to stretch out to make saves.

16 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He was not the same goalie after the initial groin injury with the Canucks. He was so athletic in his first few years with us, and then relied much more on positioning during his latter years. It could be a mixture of Rollie Melanson's coaching style, but it didn't look like he had the same flexibility, and he looked tentative to stretch out to make saves.

Luongo in his prime doing butterfly style was magic. 

I have no doubt this was a real injury based on how he reacted on this ice.

HOWEVER 

The tinfoil hat me wonders why he seems to always get injured a few weeks before christmas, then comes back late jan/early february.

extended holiday break mid season?

38 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah, damn those afternoon games. He wore down from playing so many games on teams that practically depended on him to win. I feel like if he played 60ish games a year he would have been better overall.

4 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

I have no doubt this was a real injury based on how he reacted on this ice.

HOWEVER 

The tinfoil hat me wonders why he seems to always get injured a few weeks before christmas, then comes back late jan/early february.

extended holiday break mid season?

a Machiavellian-Santa! :^)

(shrewd insight)

40 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

A bit off-topic...

If the Canucks trade for Luongo when he wishes to retire and instead they just designate him as "medically unfit" to play until his contract runs out.... will the Canucks still be punished with that salary cap re-capture thing?

they will because they are the Canucks

Archived