The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames’ Tkachuk Spears Matt Martin

b3.

What a puke. He better start training like youngblood in the barn coz Martin is gonna hand him his arse next year.

And no, I dont wish he was on my team.  Hes gonna be a 15 goal scorer, not particularly fast, and highly dependant on his team mates to generate assists. To put things in Perspective Brock got the same number of goals he did all of last year in less than 1/3 the time.  Ill take my chances with Juolevi.

36 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think Joulevi will be a stud #2 D. 

Juolevi was drafted for his hockey intellligence first and foremost, with a pretty damn good toolbox to go with that.  He can skate, he has a big frame to build on, he moves the puck very well, he excels at both ends of the ice - he has a heavy shot - there is a whole lot to like about Juolevi.

But what I like the most - he's the type of player that improves, and improves and improves as he develops.   There are few things more goldfish or signfying of young arrogance than attempts to judge defensemen at the 18 or 19 yr old stage of their career.

I find it ironic - the amount of tank nationers that also whine about having passed on Tkachuk.  First of all - we didn't  need Tkachuk's contributions last year - it was a transition season.   And the value of a winger relative to a defenseman is secondary.  Tkachuk also comes with his limits - he  gives that impression that he lacks intellgence - that his career could risk taking a Phaneuf-like trajectory where what you see in his rookie season is it....  And there is the context in which he's playing to keep in mind when hyping the crap out of him like whinge-nation loves to - he plays with two outstanding two way veterans, Backlund and Frolik - literally any decent winger is going to excel with a pair of outstanding possession players like them.  We've seen this very close to home with a rookie that was carried by Hansen and Higgins, but wasn't really all that.  Tkachuk possesses a far better toolbox, and that pwf frame, but the game is as much between the ears as anything, and that's where he does not impress. 

This franchise needed to start drafting more defensemen and it needed to use one or more of it's better picks to do so.   The Tyamkin pick turns out to be gold - and Juolevi also seriously deepens this team's futures on the blueline - and no better time than the past to have gotten this done and in the pipeline developing.

Benning appears to have struck gold again, liberating Pouliot from Pittsburgh - but that is an outlier - you simply cannot depend on that kind of a deal - they are extremely few and far between, particularly when you're talking about an asset like a premier pmd.

I loved the Juolevi pick at the time and still do - you simply can't underestimate the value of intelligence - the mind is the most important muscle - and Juolevi has that crucial gift imo.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Juolevi was drafted for his hockey intellligence first and foremost, with a pretty damn good toolbox to go with that.  He can skate, he has a big frame to build on, he moves the puck very well, he excels at both ends of the ice - he has a heavy shot - there is a whole lot to like about Juolevi.

But what I like the most - he's the type of player that improves, and improves and improves as he develops.   There are few things more goldfish or signfying of young arrogance than attempts to judge defensemen at the 18 or 19 yr old stage of their career.

I find it ironic - the amount of tank nationers that also whine about having passed on Tkachuk.  First of all - we didn't  need Tkachuk's contributions last year - it was a transition season.   And the value of a winger relative to a defenseman is secondary.  Tkachuk also comes with his limits - he  gives that impression that he lacks intellgence - that his career could risk taking a Phaneuf-like trajectory where what you see in his rookie season is it....  And there is the context in which he's playing to keep in mind when hyping the crap out of him like whinge-nation loves to - he plays with two outstanding two way veterans, Backlund and Frolik - literally any decent winger is going to excel with a pair of outstanding possession players like them.  We've seen this very close to home with a rookie that was carried by Hansen and Higgins, but wasn't really all that.  Tkachuk possesses a far better toolbox, and that pwf frame, but the game is as much between the ears as anything, and that's where he does not impress. 

This franchise needed to start drafting more defensemen and it needed to use one or more of it's better picks to do so.   The Tyamkin pick turns out to be gold - and Juolevi also seriously deepens this team's futures on the blueline - and no better time than the past to have gotten this done and in the pipeline developing.

I loved the Juolevi pick at the time and still do - you simply can't underestimate the value of intelligence - the mind is the most important muscle - and Juolevi has that crucial gift imo.

This is why i always stop and read your stuff oldnews...there is the odd time (rare) that I dont agree, but you always put things so nicely. 

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Finger. If someone puts their fingers in my mouth when I don't want them there I'll bite them too. What else did they expect would happen? 

Yes, it's every bit as ignorant, if not moreso, to be sticking your finger in someone's face in the first place.  The rest is cause and effect.

which is why/when I lost a lot respect for this tool....

Image result for joe thornton finger sedin gif

There are character guys like Horvat, Boeser and then there are characterless guys like Tkachuk. I was never disappointed that we didn't draft Tkachuk. Sure he may be valuable in the regard that he likes to get under the opponent's skin and draw penalties, but there is a fine line and he crosses that. He is still only a teenager and has several years in front of him, but has already built a negative reputation for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of games he gets goes in double digits in the near future.

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

500 pages of Burrows in Canucks talk... 

no point in posting about rats with this crowd

Not even remotely the same type of player.  Burrows never slew footed or speared.   He was/is an agitator and certainly would be a PITA to play against but MT is a POS and guaranteed guys in his own room are starting to distance themselves.   Seen this before, you get a guy on your team with a reputation like he is developing and no one is immune from some really nasty crap.   Again, this guy is working towards full Sean Avery - never go full Sean Avery.

Archived