The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames’ Tkachuk Spears Matt Martin

b3.

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

That wasn't on purpose. I think he also apologized to Anderson but then Zaitsev took a hold of him and Anderson started following suit. 

Tkachuk is gonna get a fine. I'd be shocked if he got suspended.

No, he did the "spear into the zombie" move by accident and Martin just happened to be in the way.    Is that it?    An accident doesn't involve a quick and decisive move like he made.   C'mon, you cannot believe that was not intentional.   Even if you didn't know he is now up to his fourth or fifth "chat" with the league barely 20 games into his second season, this wouldn't be viewed as "accidental".

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, he did the "spear into the zombie" move by accident and Martin just happened to be in the way.    Is that it?    An accident doesn't involve a quick and decisive move like he made.   C'mon, you cannot believe that was not intentional.   Even if you didn't know he is now up to his fourth or fifth "chat" with the league barely 20 games into his second season, this wouldn't be viewed as "accidental".

Agreed.  His stick is not in a normal position for being on the bench.  All the other guys’ sticks are vertical, and inside the boards.  Tkatchuk has his over the boards, and ready to spear.  It’s a dirty premeditated action.  The DOPS knows the game, and guys like Tkatchuk.  This could be considered leaving the bench to get involved in an on ice altercation, and he gets 10 games.  His stick is an extension of him, which (under his control, and with intent) leaves the bench and gets involved). 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Follow along with the context of the quote you... quoted, it wasn't about the spear.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Follow along with the context of the quote you... quoted, it wasn't about the spear.

It's always about the spear.......:lol:

Yup, sorry about that.   Just the guy (MT) respects the game I love so little it makes me read things that are not there.   Hate when that happens.   

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, I'm talking about the goaltender interference Hutton wink's was talking about. I agree that the spear was intentional and he'll definitely get a fine. It wasn't a vicious spear but just a soft little poke. What he did was equivalent to spraying water on a player from the bench which is a fine.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

No, I'm talking about the goaltender interference Hutton wink's was talking about. I agree that the spear was intentional and he'll definitely get a fine. It wasn't a vicious spear but just a soft little poke. What he did was equivalent to spraying water on a player from the bench which is a fine.

That goalie stuff was a hockey play.  Cannot peg that on him.

For the CS spear, my guess as a repeat offender and that it was from the bench, it will be some $ and likely a game.    No, it was not equivalent to spraying water as water squirted from a bottle cannot remove your spleen.  His hand action was pretty purposeful and violent - it was not "a soft little poke".    Depending upon how far he was from his intended victim, his hands move a fair bit and that would be potentially damaging to anyone so I suspect that "soft little poke" will not be league's response but guess we'll all see soon enough.  

13 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

im watching it LOL

only time ill cheer for the loofs

I would love for both teams to lose somehow! Don't really care who wins, I just want Janko and Hathaway to play well. Everyone else can go suck a lemon D:

I am watching too.

I admit that I was disappointed when the Canucks picked OJ instead of MT.  I thought he would be more like his old man.... a physical force, plays hard, sometimes crosses the line, but at least respectful to the opponent.  Now it seems that Matthew Tkachuk is emulating Brad Marchand.... the type of player the NHL doesn't need more of. 

Interestingly enough.... MT is the type of player that Keith criticized before.  

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=1930595

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That goalie stuff was a hockey play.  Cannot peg that on him.

For the CS spear, my guess as a repeat offender and that it was from the bench, it will be some $ and likely a game.    No, it was not equivalent to spraying water as water squirted from a bottle cannot remove your spleen.  His hand action was pretty purposeful and violent - it was not "a soft little poke".    Depending upon how far he was from his intended victim, his hands move a fair bit and that would be potentially damaging to anyone so I suspect that "soft little poke" will not be league's response but guess we'll all see soon enough.  

After taking a longer look at it, you might be right. However, you look at Prust a few years ago and he speared Marchand in the nuts pretty damn hard and he was fined to the max. I can definitely see a similar punishment. He'll get the maximum fine there is and after that I think he'll start getting some hefty suspensions if he keeps doing the same crap.

He has no prior history to spearing and that 1 game suspension he got was because he tapped a player that was given a misconduct which started the whole line brawl thing. I still stand by my word and he'll get nothing more than a hefty fine.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

After taking a longer look at it, you might be right. However, you look at Prust a few years ago and he speared Marchand in the nuts pretty damn hard and he was fined to the max. I can definitely see a similar punishment. He'll get the maximum fine there is and after that I think he'll start getting some hefty suspensions if he keeps doing the same crap.

Prust wasn't barely into his second year and being "evaluated" by the league for the fourth or fifth time in just over a year of career.   He is a repeat offender and so early into his potentially short and rattish career.

29 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I admit that I was disappointed when the Canucks picked OJ instead of MT.  I thought he would be more like his old man.... a physical force, plays hard, sometimes crosses the line, but at least respectful to the opponent.  Now it seems that Matthew Tkachuk is emulating Brad Marchand.... the type of player the NHL doesn't need more of. 

Interestingly enough.... MT is the type of player that Keith criticized before.  

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=1930595

Keith wasn't a spoiled rich kid with a clear sense of entitlement. His son, however, reeks of it. 

Archived