The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Michael Chaput and Thatcher Demko

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

Does anybody know the extent of Horvat's injury, Chaput has played very well in Utica putting up some big team numbers.

The Demko call up is puzzling unless of course a day to day injury or flu bug going around....

This will be to cover for a loss of a position player and to maximize CAP relief.   The fact that Chaput is coming up speaks pessimistically about how Horvat's MRI went - unfortunately.

1 minute ago, 6string said:

Does anybody know the extent of Horvat's injury, Chaput has played very well in Utica putting up some big team numbers.

The Demko call up is puzzling unless of course a day to day injury or flu bug going around....

Horvat was supposed to have his MRI to determine severity of injury suffered, but it is not known how much time he will miss. We will find out soon.

As for Demko being called up, it is for cap reasons.

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

Demko is likely being recalled to maximize LTIR cap relief. I'm guessing Dorsett is the one who is going on since it wouldn't make much sense for the Canucks to LTIR Horvat without announcing any details of his injury.

Chaput being up probably says the team isn't optimistic about Horvat playing tomorrow at the very minimum.

I'm guessing Granlund will take Horvat's spot on the top line, while Burmistrov goes in to cover Granlund's spot. Chaput as the 13th forward. I'm just hoping Horvat's injury isn't serious - our most important player on the team.

Goldobin - Granlund - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Gagner - Vanek

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Virtanen

for Demko its to maximise LTIR and give the kid a big league paycheck. 

Chaput is on a one way contract, so he makes the same in AHL and NHL. Guess we'll find out tomorrow what the reason for him being recalled is.

Maybe they want to give Horvat a game off and fully rest and heal. Philly is next game and they aren't that good so maybe mgmt feels give Horvat night off and team still can pull out a win. 

20 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Losing Horvat for any amount of time sucks. Hopefully Chaput filling in for him is just a case of a veteran coming up to replace a journeyman who plays like a vet so we at least replace experience with experience while Bo heals. 

Hopefully it's just a strained whatever it is, and nothing much worse.

If Horvat is out long term don't be surprised if we are back in the mix for Dahlin...

41 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This [Demko call-up] will be to cover for a loss of a position player and to maximize CAP relief.   The fact that Chaput is coming up speaks pessimistically about how Horvat's MRI went - unfortunately.

40 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Horvat was supposed to have his MRI to determine severity of injury suffered, but it is not known how much time he will miss. We will find out soon.

As for Demko being called up, it is for cap reasons.

39 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Demko is likely being recalled to maximize LTIR cap relief. I'm guessing Dorsett is the one who is going on since it wouldn't make much sense for the Canucks to LTIR Horvat without announcing any details of his injury.

Chaput being up probably says the team isn't optimistic about Horvat playing tomorrow at the very minimum.

+1 to Brad Marchand for providing hope. According to CapFriendly, Dorsett is on IR, but not LTIR. Therefore, if the plan is to shift Dorsett to LTIR and maximize the cap relief, then bringing up Demko makes sense for that reason. Let's hope that is what is going on. The alternative is that it is Horvat going on LTIR -- or maybe both guys are going on LTIR.

The basic point is that cap relief is highest if the team is as close as possible to the Cap on the day when a player is placed on LTIR. I think the way it works is that the cap relief (amount by which the team can exceed the cap) equals the player's salary minus any existing cap room. If the existing cap room is zero and Horvat goes on LTIR, the Canucks would get a full 5.5 million (Horvat's cap hit) as extra space. If the existing cap room was 5.5. million, then the Canucks would get no extra relief -- they would still have the same 5.5 million in cap space. There are also some complications related to bonuses. 

Personally, I would be happy if the Canucks did not maximize cap relief. The extra cap relief only has value if the Canucks bring in a replacement player with a fairly high cap hit. That is something I don't want to see if they give up an assets to acquire such a player. On the other hand, I would not mind seeing the Canucks bring in a bad contract if another asset like a draft pick comes along with it.

In any case, the chances of Horvat needing to go on LTIR are looking higher than is comfortable. I guess there will be an announcement of some sort tomorrow. I agree that it is pretty obvious that Horvat won't play on Thursday. One or two games we can live with and I will feel like we dodged a bullet if that is all it is.

Burmistrov and the three G's (Granlund, Gagner, and Gaunce) can all play center, but none of those guys is close to being a replacement for Horvat. In terms of match-ups, other teams will probably view Henrik as 1C put their top shutdown D pairing against the Sedin line.

This will give Boeser and Goldy a chance to show what they can do without Horvat -- the same "opportunity" Baertschi has had for the past three games. It is hard to be optimistic but maybe Green can work some magic.

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

+1 to Brad Marchand for providing hope. According to CapFriendly, Dorsett is on IR, but not LTIR. Therefore, if the plan is to shift Dorsett to LTIR and maximize the cap relief, then bringing up Demko makes sense for that reason. Let's hope that is what is going on. The alternative is that it is Horvat going on LTIR -- or maybe both guys are going on LTIR.

The basic point is that cap relief is highest if the team is as close as possible to the Cap on the day when a player is placed on LTIR. I think the way it works is that the cap relief (amount by which the team can exceed the cap) equals the player's salary minus any existing cap room. If the existing cap room is zero and Horvat goes on LTIR, the Canucks would get a full 5.5 million (Horvat's cap hit) as extra space. If the existing cap room was 5.5. million, then the Canucks would get no extra relief -- they would still have the same 5.5 million in cap space. There are also some complications related to bonuses. 

I mentioned the Canucks' history of using LTIR this season in the Demko thread. They didn't place Eriksson on LTIR until 9 days after his injury, so I wouldn't expect Horvat to go on just a day after suffering his:

24 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Just looked at the Canucks' transaction history and found that it took the Canucks until October 23rd to place Eriksson on LTIR after he suffered a knee injury on the 14th. No coincidence that Demko was also recalled that day: https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/all-transactions/VAN

It isn't far-fetched to assume that Dorsett is the one going on LTIR (he played his last game on November 18th). Horvat might be injured seriously enough to be placed eventually, but without the team formally announcing what his injury is, it would seem strange to do it so soon given what they did with Eriksson earlier. Chaput being up probably says he won't play tomorrow, however.

Also found that the Canucks announced the extent of Eriksson's injury 6 days before placing him on LTIR:

Well if Bo's out for an extended time and Sutter for a week or 2, we will have to activate our ace in the dot more often.

Joking of course, but seriously Bo and Sutts are our top guns overall so this will hurt our possession game, especially with Granny's stats.

He is one that Manny hasn't been able to turn around yet. About the same FOW% as last year.

FOW%

Loui Eriksson- 66.66  won 2 of 3

Horvat- 52.44

Gagner- 52.38

Burmy- 50.94

Henrik- 46.23

Granlund- 41.59- this s quite concerning on the top line

26 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Well if Bo's out for an extended time and Sutter for a week or 2, we will have to activate our ace in the dot more often.

Joking of course, but seriously Bo and Sutts are our top guns overall so this will hurt our possession game, especially with Granny's stats.

He is one that Manny hasn't been able to turn around yet. About the same FOW% as last year.

FOW%

Loui Eriksson- 66.66  won 2 of 3

Horvat- 52.44

Gagner- 52.38

Burmy- 50.94

Henrik- 46.23

Granlund- 41.59- this s quite concerning on the top line

granny isnt good on the faceoffs, I think that is why he was strictly a winger last year for us. We don't need him to play C now, but Green seems to like him there.

Look for Sedin ice time to increase in Horvat's absence.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm guessing Granlund will take Horvat's spot on the top line, while Burmistrov goes in to cover Granlund's spot. Chaput as the 13th forward. I'm just hoping Horvat's injury isn't serious - our most important player on the team.

Goldobin - Granlund - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Gagner - Vanek

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Virtanen

I would like to see the line-up stay the same and have Burmi slot in for Bo..

Goldy-Burmi-Boes could be an exciting line, maybe the two Russian boys find some chemistry.

Archived