The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(GDT) philly @ van

combover

Like many, I wasn't enthusiastic about all the vets JB signed in the summer when the team has so many promising kids we would like to see in the lineup. But now, as with most of JB's puzzling moves, it looks like great foresight on his part to have guys like Gagner and Burmi available to step up and fill in. Let's see what they can do against Philly.

17 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

No Bo for 6 weeks???? Nooooooooo!

Damn that has ruined my Christmas - almost.

Get Gaunce on Bo's line and watch out for a Gauncer hat-trick.

Do it for Bo and DD boys. 4-2 Canucks.

Gaunce Hatty? Probably more reasonable to predict he'll set up Brock for 3 assists... 

Gaunce has less scoring ability than almost every player on the roster. I'd be shocked if he ever got more than 10 goals a year in the nhl. Hope I'm wrong though... 

He has been snake bitten and probably should have 1 goal this year at least... But he's no goal scorer. 

57 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

What a great presser he holds.  No bs or panic just a solid understanding of the game and his players.  No wonder all our guys have bought in completely. 

Looking forward to seeing who steps up tonight with Bo and Sutter out.

And no playing into the pathetic local media and their dumb narratives. Green doesn't suffer stupidity lightly, and there is enough in the local press corps.

Coaches don't have time to dwell on things during the regular season. That's a useless reporter's job

11 minutes ago, apollo said:

Gaunce Hatty? Probably more reasonable to predict he'll set up Brock for 3 assists... 

Gaunce has less scoring ability than almost every player on the roster. I'd be shocked if he ever got more than 10 goals a year in the nhl. Hope I'm wrong though... 

He has been snake bitten and probably should have 1 goal this year at least... But he's no goal scorer. 

Do you happen to remember what Burr's production was like his first couple of years in the NHL when he was a few years older than Gaunce is now, and was being used in a checking role? His second year, he had 9 points in 81 games. A few years later he had 35 goals. It's a bit too early to assume Gaunce will never show any offensive production.

17 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Do you happen to remember what Burr's production was like his first couple of years in the NHL when he was a few years older than Gaunce is now, and was being used in a checking role? His second year, he had 9 points in 81 games. A few years later he had 35 goals. It's a bit too early to assume Gaunce will never show any offensive production.

Well first of all, I hope you're right and I'm wrong and Gaunce becomes a big time producer. 

Second of all, I highly doubt it. Gaunce has a goal in 89 games... Alex had 7 goals in his first year here in about 40 games... The next year he only had 3 in about 80 games but then turned his career around after that. Gaunce never lit up the AHL either... about 32 goals in 129 AHL games. 

Gaunce may end up being the fourth liner for us that is instrumental to our 2018 or 2019 cup championship... his penalty killing and defensive play could turn out being the difference in a 7 game tilt vs the Penguins in the final... but in my mind, he'll never score more than 10 goals. 

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Welcome to Vancouver, Greener.

Terrible news about Bo... but I like the spin Coach is putting on it.  Time for Burmistrov / Gagner / Granlund / Gaunce to step it up!

Here are a few things we can hope for:

1. Marky steals another one. (How about shutout streak for Marky after getting his first one.)

2. Burmi has a fire under his butt. He has a chance to show he belongs in the NHL.

3. With his newfound confidence, Pouliot stays hot.

4. The guys put in a big effort to "win one for Bo".

5. Boeser, Baertschi and Virtanen were all a bit unlucky not to score in the last couple of games. They are due.

48 minutes ago, apollo said:

Gaunce had a golden opportunity several games ago to get his 1st goal in an empty net....and then he passed the puck ???

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To Sutter, who scored. It was a selfless act, that speaks volumes about Gaunce.

Like the media was with Markstrom and his streak of not getting a SO, I really hope Gaunce can get a goal soon. He tries hard but he does need to produce some offense. 

Keep trying Gauncer, I bet if you threw more hits, maybe had a scrap then a goal would happen...just saying use your frame more!!

45 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Here are a few things we can hope for:

1. Marky steals another one. (How about shutout streak for Marky after getting his first one.)

2. Burmi has a fire under his butt. He has a chance to show he belongs in the NHL.

3. With his newfound confidence, Pouliot stays hot.

4. The guys put in a big effort to "win one for Bo".

5. Boeser, Baertschi and Virtanen were all a bit unlucky not to score in the last couple of games. They are due.

If Burmi doesn't belong in NHL neither does JV both very similar point production and JV was with Sedins. That said both have looked fine but definitely need some development work still but, both have some good upside potential so hope they feed off each other  thinking they will be odd man out when Bo is back. 

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Goldobin - Burmistrov - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Gagner - Vanek

Gaunce - Granlund - Virtanen

Alright Burmi, prove you can do it! Despite having rookies on his wing, that's the golden ticket on this team. 

Win it for BO!

If that's what we're doing, Green is smart.

He's not screwing with the lines. Injured player out, Healthy player plugged into that spot. No need to muck with chemistry pointlessly, especially after winning a few games in a row as set.

I suspect the faceoffs will look a bit different though.

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Goldobin - Burmistrov - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Gagner - Vanek

Gaunce - Granlund - Virtanen

Alright Burmi, prove you can do it! Despite having rookies on his wing, that's the golden ticket on this team. 

Win it for BO!

When was the last time the Canucks had two Russians on the same line? Mogilny and Bure (the mid-'90s)?

caught some of that Philly game, handing the Coil yet another loss as they look more and more like the lottery champions we've come to know so well.

that said, Deadmonton is only 6 pts? out of a playoff spot - it's way too early to get carried away believing their season is a near write-off in the beginning of December.

every year we see teams go on a tear and put themselves right back in the running.

And vice versa.  Best of luck to the Canucks sustaining their winning ways having lost Bo until around February....

I do like their chances this year better than the past few though - they may be trending to have as many or more injuries (unbelievable) than the past two seasons, but at least their depth is much better.

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm more concerned on the defensive side.... we may not win more than 30% of our face offs tonight. 

Why so?

Stats to date (f/o win %) :

Horvat           52.45

Sedin             46.23

Gagner          52.38

Granlund       41.59      

Replaced by:

Gagner           52.38

Sedin              46.23

Burmistrov    50.94

Granlund        41.59

Just a drop of 2 percentage points, not 20%

4 hours ago, mll said:

Baer-Gagner-Vanek haven't been good together - chemistry doesn't seem to be there.  They are just chasing the puck up and down the ice and can't create zone time.  They had several shifts of more than 1min where they were just stuck in their own end and were severely outshot. 

It's called the "Gagner effect" when he plays center.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

The boys are going to have to dig awfully deep to keep their heads above water for 6 weeks :unsure:

That likely is the hit that ensures we're sellers this TDL...Oh well.

When Sutter comes back we'll be ok.

I'm only concerned about the gap between now and then. Looks like Sutter is 1-2 weeks away.
He's fully capably of centering that top line. 
I don't like Gagner up there. He desn't have the defensive awareness to pull that train.

Sutter does, and is also capable of creating offence there short term.

Archived