The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hurricanes to be sold

Link to follow. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1438460
Report: Hurricanes to be sold to billionaire Tom Dundon

w640xh480_2017-11-26T223420Z_1074412830_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NHL-NASHVILLE-PREDATORS-AT-CAROLINA-HURRICANES.jpg?ts=1512665657

James Guillory / USA Today Sports

Ian McLarenDec 7 2017, 6:07 PM

The Carolina Hurricanes are on the verge of being sold.

Current owner Peter Karmanos Jr. met with Dallas billionaire Tom Dundon on Thursday, and the pair later appeared at the NHL's board of Board of Governors meeting in Florida.

A purchase agreement is in place and the sale is expected to be announced later Thursday, according to TSN's Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun.

All indications are Dundon will stabilize the team's presence in North Carolina.

"(Karmanos Jr.) had said (all) along: he's put a lot of money into this marketplace, he believes in this marketplace, the NHL believes in this marketplace," team president Don Waddell said on Nov. 29, according to Cory Lavalette of North State Journal. "Any potential buyer is not going to have that option. They know if they're buying the team, they're buying it to keep it in Raleigh, North Carolina."

Reports of discussions between Karmanos and Dundon emerged in late November. 

Back in July, a purchase offer of around $500 million was submitted by Chuck Greenberg - co-owner of the Texas Rangers- but Karmanos later said he felt Greenberg couldn't afford to make the right deal.

Blah blah blah. Keep the team in Carolina??? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

We all know what is going to happen. He will buy the team, and keep it in Carolina for 2 years before he moves it to Houston. Writing is on the wall.

Frankly, I don't understand WHY anyone would want to move a team to Houston. So much competition and the Dallas Stars aren't exactly thriving down there.

7 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Blah blah blah. Keep the team in Carolina??? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

We all know what is going to happen. He will buy the team, and keep it in Carolina for 2 years before he moves it to Houston. Writing is on the wall.

Frankly, I don't understand WHY anyone would want to move a team to Houston. So much competition and the Dallas Stars aren't exactly thriving down there.

To be fair, Texas has the same population as all of Canada (roughly) so adding another professional sports team isn't a bad idea. 

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

To be fair, Texas has the same population as all of Canada (roughly) so adding another professional sports team isn't a bad idea. 

Well, Carolina has a population of 10 million, which is twice the size of Alberta. Alberta supports 2 teams and Carolina can't even support one. So clearly population isn't everything.

They will say that the team is going to stay in Carolina, but there will end up being an out clause that will allow them to move if they lose x dollars for x years.  I would expect that they will be in Quebec City within a few years.  Houston is a scary market for a team.  It is a huge city, but extremely sprawled out.  The lack of density and the non traditional market has another Atlanta situation written all over it.  Neither the Rockets or Astros draw in the top 10 of their leagues despite being championships caliber teams.

27 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

The sad part about it is that if or when a Canadian team not named the Montreal Canadiens or Toronto Maple Leafs ever gets in a tough spot, the NHL will be so keen on relocating them.

This is already happening with Calgary. The NHL is licking their lips at the chance to move Calgary and make a statement. Gary Bettman doesn't lose, and he is really going to prove his point by moving the Flames.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

They will say that the team is going to stay in Carolina, but there will end up being an out clause that will allow them to move if they lose x dollars for x years.  I would expect that they will be in Quebec City within a few years.  Houston is a scary market for a team.  It is a huge city, but extremely sprawled out.  The lack of density and the non traditional market has another Atlanta situation written all over it.  Neither the Rockets or Astros draw in the top 10 of their leagues despite being championships caliber teams.

Everyone points to Quebec City as a logical choice for an NHL team, but I am not entirely sold. Quebec lost their team before for a reason. It has been a long time since the Montreal Canadiens were a crappy team, but watch what happens when they are. The attendance is not a given. Quebec City would thrive if there was a good team there but I don't know how willingly it would support a crappy team. That's the difference between Winnipeg and Quebec City.

I think a much more logical choice would be a 2nd Toronto team. If New York can pull it off with the Rangers and Islanders, then I see no reason why Toronto can't pull it off with a 2nd team. The rivalry would be insane.

13 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

This is already happening with Calgary. The NHL is licking their lips at the chance to move Calgary and make a statement. Gary Bettman doesn't lose, and he is really going to prove his point by moving the Flames.

Saturday night some journo was going off during the flames game intermission about how bad the flames are, how they have no identity, how they are easy to play against at home and how when sutter was around blah blah blah.  Then he stirred the pot by suggesting the flames were going to be sold.

it was an amazing intermission show, especially at home in Calgary.  I expected a trap door to open any second to stop the guy from ranting.

lol.

cant remember who it was though.

corey sarich was sitting next to him with wtf? All over his face.

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Link to follow. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1438460

James Guillory / USA Today Sports

Ian McLarenDec 7 2017, 6:07 PM

The Carolina Hurricanes are on the verge of being sold.

Current owner Peter Karmanos Jr. met with Dallas billionaire Tom Dundon on Thursday, and the pair later appeared at the NHL's board of Board of Governors meeting in Florida.

A purchase agreement is in place and the sale is expected to be announced later Thursday, according to TSN's Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun.

All indications are Dundon will stabilize the team's presence in North Carolina.

"(Karmanos Jr.) had said (all) along: he's put a lot of money into this marketplace, he believes in this marketplace, the NHL believes in this marketplace," team president Don Waddell said on Nov. 29, according to Cory Lavalette of North State Journal. "Any potential buyer is not going to have that option. They know if they're buying the team, they're buying it to keep it in Raleigh, North Carolina."

Reports of discussions between Karmanos and Dundon emerged in late November. 

Back in July, a purchase offer of around $500 million was submitted by Chuck Greenberg - co-owner of the Texas Rangers- but Karmanos later said he felt Greenberg couldn't afford to make the right deal.

LOL!  Good for you Karmanos and the NHL, you believe in that market.  Too bad the fans don't and last time I checked they're the ones ultimately keeping this franchise viable or not. 

11 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Everyone points to Quebec City as a logical choice for an NHL team, but I am not entirely sold. Quebec lost their team before for a reason. It has been a long time since the Montreal Canadiens were a crappy team, but watch what happens when they are. The attendance is not a given. Quebec City would thrive if there was a good team there but I don't know how willingly it would support a crappy team. That's the difference between Winnipeg and Quebec City.

I think a much more logical choice would be a 2nd Toronto team. If New York can pull it off with the Rangers and Islanders, then I see no reason why Toronto can't pull it off with a 2nd team. The rivalry would be insane.

In all honesty, I do put Quebec in with Winnipeg in the sense that they would be so stoked to have a team again that they would fill the rink.  I may be wrong, you bring up a good point.  Hamilton gets little mention, but I feel would be the best available market, even better than Seattle.

18 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Wasn't there such a clause for the Coyotes that they've already hit,  but they're still there?

53 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

The sad part about it is that if or when a Canadian team not named the Montreal Canadiens or Toronto Maple Leafs ever gets in a tough spot, the NHL will be so keen on relocating them.

I think the Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers are up there as well. I wouldn't put them on the same level as Calgary, Winnipeg or Ottawa.

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

I think the Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers are up there as well. I wouldn't put them on the same level as Calgary, Winnipeg or Ottawa.

You're not wrong.  Which is why the Aquilinis get a lot less love than they should around here.  They've basically got the stance that they would rather hold through bad years then ever let the Canucks move.  Not every franchise is so lucky.

Archived