The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hurricanes to be sold

A move to Houston seems inevitable with this deal. They've tried so hard in Raleigh but it just isnt working. Got to cut bait at some point. It sucks, though, because I'd hate to see a Stanley Cup winning franchise move but... there's not much choice here, in my mind.

Prediction: Team will remain in Raleigh this year and next but will move for the 2019-2020 season. Probably to Houston.

BTW, if Hamilton gets a team it's likely because the Senators move there. Senators arena and attendance issues could cause the move, in my mind.

Suspect that Seattle will get an expansion team.

Quebec will likely be stuck without a franchise for the next long while.

5 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

The sad part about it is that if or when a Canadian team not named the Montreal Canadiens or Toronto Maple Leafs ever gets in a tough spot, the NHL will be so keen on relocating them.

Buttman would orgasm over the Canucks moving to Seattle or Portland. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-enter-into-purchase-agreement-will-not-relocate/c-293781978

"I want to address one manner about as crystal clear and as absolute terms as I can: Tom Dundon is buying his interest in the Hurricanes to have the Hurricanes in Carolina," Commissioner Bettman said. "This is not a team that is being moved. The rumors that it might be moving somewhere else are absolutely incorrect, made up, fabrications, wrong, wrong, wrong."

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has expressed an interest in adding an NHL team to play at Toyota Center. Fertitta became Rockets owner in October.

"The club is not going anywhere with Mr. Dundon's purchase, and for those of you who know geography, the fact that he lives in Dallas and that happens to be in the same state as Houston has nothing to do with anything," Commissioner Bettman said. "He's buying the club to have it in Carolina. I want to be crystal clear on this because it's really not fair to the players, the fans or anybody in the (Research) Triangle that this rumor has started. It's just not accurate."

On 12/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

To be fair, Texas has the same population as all of Canada (roughly) so adding another professional sports team isn't a bad idea. 

Overall population means nothing. Population of hockey fans, however...

Sure, Texas can support a bunch of football, basketball and baseballs teams, but it's another story to do so with a sport like hockey.

But a Dallas-based owner for an Eastern team does give a pretty big hint for the Houston market. It makes some sense a team would end up there, but likely through relocation only if Seattle succeeds in getting a team, and they won't overload the West with a team from the East in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

https://thehockeywriters.com/carolina-hurricanes-tom-dundon/

Tom Dundon has likely made many interesting calls to his wife, Veruschka about interesting ventures he has put together. Most recently, he may well have had this exchange: “Honey, I bought the Carolina Hurricanes.” Veruschka: “Why? Aren’t they pretty bad? Won’t that be frustrating?”

Tom Dundon, You’re up

The truth is that the Hurricanes have been frustrating their fans since 2009, the year of their last playoff appearance. With a new ownership structure in place, the burning question of whether the frustration is longtime owner, Peter Karmanos’ fault for not being willing to spend the money necessary to bring the kind of talent to the team to help them be playoff contenders.

I can’t believe that in June 2014 I wrote that Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis had found the checkbook and was going a little wild with the contracts he was signing. Since then the fans have screamed for him to please sign a proven scoring forward. And while Francis once commented that Karmanos really was not stingy – saying he had “whatever he needed” from ownership to sign Kris Versteeg as an example – the perception is that Karmanos as a seller of the team was not interested in bringing in the kind of talent that would require hefty contracts.

Thomas Dundon Carolina Hurricanes

Thomas Dundon

Dundon is an accomplished, savvy businessman, a billionaire who knows success. Of course, Karmanos knows success in the things that are in his wheelhouse from a business perspective, but that has not translated into success on the ice for nearly a decade.

The future of the Hurricanes will soon be in the hands of a forward-thinking owner who may well be committed to turning the Hurricanes into a playoff contender.

Makes me appreciate Francesco Aquilini more with his willingness to spend to the cap, even in a rebuild. Also him being born and raised in Vancouver makes it highly improbable that the Canucks will ever move under his watch. I still think he meddled a little too much in the hockey operation in the past but at least he is on-board with the rebuild.

51 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/carolina-hurricanes-tom-dundon/

Makes me appreciate Francesco Aquilini more with his willingness to spend to the cap, even in a rebuild. Also him being born and raised in Vancouver makes it highly improbable that the Canucks will ever move under his watch. I still think he meddled a little too much in the hockey operation in the past but at least he is on-board with the rebuild.

Investing in our own farm club should really pay off in a few years.  Having control over our own players' development is a massive advantage. 

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Investing in our own farm club should really pay off in a few years.  Having control over our own players' development is a massive advantage. 

Yeah, Francesco is a true Canuck fan and is willing to do anything to get a winner in Van. Of course, he is a business man first and I have always been against him for his meddling. However, after reading about other owners like Karmanos and also Melnyk recently, it has made me appreciate our own owner a lot more.

• 4 weeks later...

The sale of 61% of the Carolina Hurricanes to Texas billionaire Tom Dundon has been finalized. Peter Karmanos retains minority ownership in the team.

"I am thrilled to continue to build upon what Peter Karmanos started in Raleigh," Dundon said in December when the purchase agreement was reached. "The Hurricanes are a team on the rise, and I believe we have an opportunity to take the franchise to the next level. I'm ready to get to work."

Archived