The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, 6string said:

You shut down Calgary's top line - they are done!

Their Defence is overrated ( everybody tells you otherwise ), goaltending was hot with Smith but it's beginning to simmer down.

Bounce back game for us!

I hope.you are right about the bounce back game.  Not really sure who we have right now that can shut down top.lines or who is going to score on even a weak defence (Bo notwithstanding) and if edler plays, our d is also weak.  

Tonight waS disappointing in its lack of intensity  considering the challenge laid down by Green.  Hopefully he finds a way to motivate them for Saturday.

I was at the game and the Canucks definitely shot themselves in the foot. Granlund alone had about 2-3 glorious chances to score in the first 5 minutes but couldn't even hit the net. The shots didn't really show how sloppy they were offensively, lots of weak breakouts, bad passes, whiffed shots. Probably the easiest 36 saves Elliot has ever stopped. The effort was there, but the execution was not. Hopefully they fix this against the Lames. 

What a $&!#ty way to play when it comes to Coutourier.  

He acted/faked his way into two powerplays that completely derailed us after we were carrying the play in the first period.

Everyone had an off game tonight and it's quite obvious we're feeling the effects of missing our top shutdown center, top 2-way center and top 4 physical D-man in the line-up. That being said all teams have games they mail in, this is the first I can remember them playing, but not looking like their hearts were in it. We're in the hunt for a win most nights so I'm not too worried about the results from this game. I really hope Sutter is back soon though, we need his foundational play to keep other team's top scorers from scoring.

4 hours ago, IBacon Strips said:

They really missed Horvat's leadership and explosiveness... Bowser looked  a bit lost besides the goal he got. 

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Horvat. Do we really need him? Bet your a## we do.

4 hours ago, JoGuitar said:

Edler with a solid 6 minutes in penalties tonight.\

Really missing Bo.

I have only one comment tonight:

I am really glad Horvat was signed long term at a cap hit of $5.5 million during the summer.

I think he is pretty clearly the team MVP and 5.5 looks like a bargain. If he were on a short term deal his price for re-signing would be rising.

With him, the Canucks have a good first line, which means the Sedin line is a good second line, and Green can put together a good shutdown line and a decent 4th line. Without Horvat the line-up just looks so much weaker.

Various guys can fill in at center, but no one is as good at any one of one of the major skills, let alone being a complete player. Bo does so much well -- takes key face-offs, provides speed and strength, passes well, can finish, plays good defence, plays consistently, drives play, and is great guy -- modest, hard-working, unassuming. That is a big hole to fill. Burmi, Granlund, Gaunce and Gagner are really all projects. And Dowd is another project. Maybe one of them can take advantage of the situation.

5 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Pouliot is awesome

His confidence is rising with every game and while he's solid back there defensively, he's pushing the play and his passing ability is #1 among all our D

Edler. It's time to go. He can be replaced with either Holm or McEneny. 

Trade Edler for picks or assets and promote one of those other two guys.
If dEdler uses his NTC then tell him he's going to Utica. Done.
Sorry to you fan boys but I'm sick of seeing this crap from him.

He wasn't the only reason we lost, but his passion to play here is gone and has been for a while. There's the door bud. 

I don't disagree. Although I think Edler is still good enough and is a top 3D, I don't see Edler on this team in a couple of seasons when prospects like Juolevi is ready to make the team. So we might as well get some asset back for him while he is still good.

Once Guddy is back, Edler can be traded and Hutton can take over his role for the time being. If there are injuries, we will have Holm and Biega to fill in.

I'm really pissed off with EDLER.

Every night we get beat EDLER is up around the opposition blue paint missing chance after chance. We could have been 3 up before Philly got their first PP if EDLER hadn't missed all these chances.

Never mind at least we have the Twins, Loui, Baertschi, Jake, Gaunce, Granny etc banging them in - Oh wait................

This is a team game folks, maybe if the rest of the team put more into defence AND scoring we wouldn't give so many PPs away.

Damn we missed Bo. (and Sutter) Losing the puck so often in the face offs was like being back in the pre Coach Manny days. It puts you on the defensive right from the off. We also missed his puck carrying and back checking. In short we now know who really should be wearing the "A"out there.

It's time to recognise how important Bo is to this team. To say I was displeased when I saw MDZ get the "A" before Bo was putting it mildly.

5 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Edler too many penalties...yeesh

Granlund is Finnish, but the irony is that he has no finish.

Goaltending was not great. Markstrom* was bailed out a few times when he was swimming in his crease.

Maybe start some drills where they practice hitting the net from the slot.

Yeah, maybe be would have our guys inside the net when they practice shooting, maybe 10% or so might hit the back of the net.  Then, as they gain confidence, we could have them practice tipping pucks into our net.  Oh my, it really did look weak tonite on the finishing front.  And the Sedins and Erickson looked lost assuming the role of first line again.  Edler's previous game looked like he was the Edler of old, tonight he looked like the last thing he wanted to do was play hockey.  We should never have given him a star in the previous game, it made him think that that was all he had to do for his 5 mil for this season, so he went to Canada Post and bought stamps and envelopes.

Archived