The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Expected to rise 3 million!! What this means for the Canucks.

KKnight

5 hours ago, NexusRift said:

True. Baer is not the saviour. However, he could be a big piece of the puzzle.

An elite, highly skilled player, be they from wherever, usually is not acquired. Most elite players on SC winners these days were drafted by their respected clubs.

No more Sundin/Messier scenarios, thank you.

Tavares is what, 26/27? That's nothing like a Sundin/Messier situation.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true, if there's some underlying issue he may bolt... but you would think if it was that bad he would have asked to be moved this year already? just guessing. If he's comfortable there thats the place where he can make the most money for the longest term. 

I would think the biggest possible underlying issue would be the franchise's ability to build a contender... if JT wants to win I don't know that the Islanders have shown they can give him the surrounding cast.  

We have tonnes of cap room coming up, and management has either been given permission or been told to spend to the cap all along.  If that's the case again, it will be interesting.  Just a quick and dirty calculation with the assumptions:

Vanek --> Gaudette

Burmistrov --> Dahlen/Pettersson

Twins for $5mil total

RFAs Baertschi (4), Granlund (3), Virtanen (2), Stecher (2), Pouliot (2), and UFA Gudbrandon (4-5) re-signed

With all that, we would sit with about $10mil in cap space and a full roster of 23 on a total cap of $78mil.  Will be a lot of cheap ELCs keeping it down, so take out any one of them and you've got $11mil to spend on a player.

Trades are likely, but still looks like we may do a bit of shopping.

Stecher will get 2-3 per maybe a little more on a long term deal, Hutton needs a new contract (I personally want him traded now), and really hate to be that guy but we need to save space for the impending Luongo cap recapture penalty, which is 2.8 in 2019, 4.6 in 2020 and 8.5 in 2021. With that potential penalty hanging over their heads, the Canucks will need to fit all the players under the cap plus account for it. Plus, in 2019 Brock will get 7-8 mil if they can get him to agree to an 8 year deal, Beartschi will probably be around 3-4 by that time to. 

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

if cap goes to 80 we have 39 mill next summer  i got hard after tavares 8 yrs 12 mill per 

center depth     

sedins resign one yr 1 mill each 

7 hours ago, apollo said:

Re-sign the twins 1 mill each, 1 year. 

Sign JT... then win the cup in 2018-2019. Imagine how well JT would do if he could learn from Brock... just being in Brock's presence will make him a better player :P

Real simple. Gettirdoneeeee JIMBO! 

I like Tavaras a lot and am all in for getting him but 1 mil each for the twins is hardly worth it for them and is somewhat insulting to these guys. Even though they are not nearly as good as they used to be they are still very good forwards and more than capable of handling second line duties.

I have no idea what the going rate for a second line player but I would say that a range of 2.5-3.5 mil is fair and hopefully they accept a year by year deal.

11 hours ago, KKnight said:

With the expected rise of the cap by 3 million. With our UFA's and new cap restructuring, we are sitting at roughly 25 million. How aggresive do you expect us to be?? How aggressive would you be in the offseason? 

Are we in on Tavares now? Kane? 

or are we focusing on Boeser extension and further development of our youth? 

It means Tavares. I hope the Canucks can get him...the perfect 1-2 punch. Tavares with Boeser and Bae, and Bo horvat with Petersson and Dahlen. It would instantly make us playoff contenders. 

Just been doing a little math.........and here is what I come up with

Hank 3.5 million 1 year contract............................

Danny 3.5 million 1 year contract.............................they have been both playing as good as any other 3rd line players...............savings 7.0 million

Edler gets traded at the TDL..................................too many players all bunched up, this will be a thinning move.........................savings 5.0 million

Baertschi traded at the TDL...................................we have a lot of LW prospects and Baer is due a 1st/2nd line raise................savings1.85 million

Burmistrov ..............................................................walks at the end of the year.........who cares...................................................savings 0.90 million

Dorsett.....................................................................LTIR................................................................................................................savings 2.85 million

Vanek traded at the TDL.............................................He has been a pleasant surprise.................................................................savings 2.0 million

Hansen coming off the books...........................................................................................................................................................savings 0,50 million

Higgins coming off the books............................................................................................................................................................savings 0.83 million

Cap Increase....................................................................................................................................................................................................3.0 million

________________

Approx. 24 million

Gudbranson..............3.5 million (UFA) + 1million

Granlund...................0.9 million (RFA) + 1 million

Virtanen.....................0.895 million (RFA) + 0.5 million

Stecher......................0.925 million (RFA) + 0.5 million

Pouliot.......................0.800 Million(RFA) + 0.5 million............................................................................................................................Minus 3.5 million

_______________

Potential cap space.....................Approx. 20.5 million

Possible LW upgrade............E. Kane.............7.0 million

Possible RHD.......................Tryamkin............4.0 million

_________

11.0 million..................................................................Minus from Potential cap space  Minus 11.5 million

_______________

Open Cap space for future..........Approx. 9.5 million

A lot of "IF's" in there, but "IF" we sign Kane we won't need Beartschi.or visa versa. The Sedin's have played well enough in their 3rd line roles for an extra year, at a reduced respectful salary.......not sure how many 3rd liners make 3.5 million, I don't see the signing for 2 years.

There is such a traffic jam on LD, even without Juolevi, I think Edler is gone, and the same thing goes for LW to some extent.......

And I would be surprised if Tryamkin comes back so soon, but if he does Gudbranson probably gets moved

It will be interesting what pressures the Prospects put on the line up.............................

Hey, don't dump on me.......these are just random idea's, but as good as anyones.............except Jim Benning's

The use of cap space will be interesting...............

I'd make small signings or make Kane an offer if anything. I don't see Tavares making it to UFA or coming here even if he did.

The Luongo recapture penalty is gonna be a reality one of these years and I wouldn't be opposed to trying to land Doughty down the line.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd make small signings or make Kane an offer if anything. I don't see Tavares making it to UFA or coming here even if he did.

The Luongo recapture penalty is gonna be a reality one of these years and I wouldn't be opposed to trying to land Doughty down the line.

Well, lets hope Loui retires earlier than later and spread that Recapture Penalty over 4 years instead of having to pay it all at once

13 hours ago, NexusRift said:

True. Baer is not the saviour. However, he could be a big piece of the puzzle.

An elite, highly skilled player, be they from wherever, usually is not acquired.

The latter is because they almost never hit free agency, and are too expensive in a trade scenario.

I agree about getting Tavares. We gotta put a bid in just because he would be free. Imagine a top line of Pettersson Tavares Boeser.  Thats one that would probably lead the league in points as some point I imagine.  Then our second line with Horvat?  Yes please. His wingers could be any combination of guys from Dahlen to Goldie or Lind to sticking with Baertschi who is totally fine as a 2nd line winger.  By all rights we could easily have a 1st line the tops the league and a 2nd line that can be absolutely classified as a 1b.

We would still need to find a way to get some scoring from the back end, but the forward puzzle would be more or less complete with just this one signing.

7 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Stecher will get 2-3 per maybe a little more on a long term deal, Hutton needs a new contract (I personally want him traded now), and really hate to be that guy but we need to save space for the impending Luongo cap recapture penalty, which is 2.8 in 2019, 4.6 in 2020 and 8.5 in 2021. With that potential penalty hanging over their heads, the Canucks will need to fit all the players under the cap plus account for it. Plus, in 2019 Brock will get 7-8 mil if they can get him to agree to an 8 year deal, Beartschi will probably be around 3-4 by that time to. 

The best defense to the Luongo penalty may be to make certain we don't have that cap space and then whine and complain about the unfairness of it, and its being the result of a retroactive policy decision.  We've seen such decisions reversed...at least for American teams, be it New Jersey getting its draft pick back, or players being allowed to "retire from the NHL" for the benefit of the team.  When push comes to shove, the NHL often has more bark than a willingness to bite when it comes to these sorts of penalties.

7 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I like Tavaras a lot and am all in for getting him but 1 mil each for the twins is hardly worth it for them and is somewhat insulting to these guys. Even though they are not nearly as good as they used to be they are still very good forwards and more than capable of handling second line duties.

I have no idea what the going rate for a second line player but I would say that a range of 2.5-3.5 mil is fair and hopefully they accept a year by year deal.

theyve made their money if they want a cup sign a mill each lije selanne and kariya otherwise they can retire  we can sign cheaper players in free agency  that will do better 

12 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Huge no thank you to Tavares.  He will cost 11M and a very long term contract.  He is very slow and poor defensively.  He is like Joe Thornton if Joe could shoot really really well.  I would rather spend 6M on Kane and 5M on Landeskog.  The Canucks needs speed, size, and some good old fashioned boom boom. Green likes to play that high pressure fore-checking game Tavares is not it. Kane and Landeskog are beyond perfect for it.

Sign Kane 6x6 ala Eriksson so everyone can panic

Hutton, Stecher, Gaunce, 2nd for Landeskog?

I wish but this would be quickly make the Canucks a top team in the West. 

ya scraps will get us landeskog  lol right 

Archived