The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Athlete In the World?

Goat James

6 hours ago, zzbottom said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've clearly never played baseball (looking forward to your reply about how you were an all-star high school player and still never thought it was hard). It requires a lot of speed, timing, hand-eye coordination, and the hardest thing in professional sports is trying to hit a pitch. 

Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete. Nothing against Baseball but if we're talking pure athletics it's just a step above golf and curling. The baseball HOF is littered with guys who would be sucking air after jogging leisurely around 4 bases.   I eagerly await your reply about  how you rose through the ranks of your high school curling team. You hurried hard but it was never hard enough for you. :P

Yes there are athletes in baseball but I wouldn't call any of them anywhere near the best athletes in the world given some players can do remarkable things I would call it skill\talent . 

37 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete. Nothing against Baseball but if we're talking pure athletics it's just a step above golf and curling. The baseball HOF is littered with guys who would be sucking air after jogging leisurely around 4 bases.   I eagerly await your reply about  how you rose through the ranks of your high school curling team. You hurried hard but it was never hard enough for you. :P

Yes there are athletes in baseball but I wouldn't call any of them anywhere near the best athletes in the world given some players can do remarkable things I would call it skill\talent . 

tenor.gif?itemid=4122742

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Its more than just eye hand and reflexes. Its explosiveness, strength, agility and intelligence. Its a culmination of many skills and athletic traits.

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Its more than just eye hand and reflexes. Its explosiveness, strength, agility and intelligence. Its a culmination of many skills and athletic traits.

Exactly Reggie .....ontop of the core attributes you named we would definitely include what our esteemed college Hammertime wrote "Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing "   are exactly what define an athlete from their peers on the playing surfaces areas etc.

2 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Exactly Reggie .....ontop of the core attributes you named we would definitely include what our esteemed college Hammertime wrote "Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing "   are exactly what define an athlete from their peers on the playing surfaces areas etc.

Are either of you seriously suggesting that baseball players are among the best athletes on the planet? Cuz that's the topic. Im not saying their not athletes. There is some athleticism to the game or it wouldn't be a sport. But among the best "athletes" in the world if I'm following your criteria there are some incredible ping pong players out there.  

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Are either of you seriously suggesting that baseball players are among the best athletes on the planet? Cuz that's the topic. Im not saying their not athletes. There is some athleticism to the game or it wouldn't be a sport. But among the best "athletes" in the world if I'm following your criteria there are some incredible ping pong players out there.  

I never listed a baseball player if you go back a few pages, but to suggest  Nolan Ryan or maybe BO Jackson, Dion Sanders, KEn Griffey SR and JR and every other Ball player to have eve played are not athletes is probably going to go unnoticed but it is possibly the dumbest thing posted on a sports forum. You have zero understanding of ATHLETICISM if you  think that " Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete "

That means no wingsuit flyer, auto racer, olympic swimmer,  X games BMX'er, Survival games  hiker or even your rec room PING PONGER  anywhere all time are athletes in your eyes.

1 minute ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

I never listed a baseball player if you go back a few pages, but to suggest  Nolan Ryan or maybe BO Jackson, Dion Sanders, KEn Griffey SR and JR and every other Ball player to have eve played are not athletes is probably going to go unnoticed but it is possibly the dumbest thing posted on a sports forum. You have zero understanding of ATHLETICISM if you  think that " Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete "

That means no wingsuit flyer, auto racer, olympic swimmer,  X games BMX'er, Survival games  hiker or even your rec room PING PONGER  anywhere all time are athletes in your eyes.

I never suggested they weren't athletes that was someone else. I just said that they weren't among "the best athletes in the world". Their sport demands much more than pure athletics to be fair.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I never suggested they weren't athletes that was someone else. I just said that they weren't among "the best athletes in the world". Their sport demands much more than pure athletics to be fair.

Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete.     your exact words

2 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Hand eye coordination and reflexes\timing do not make you an athlete.     your exact words

Yes that alone does not make you an athlete or we would be playing video games at the Olympics. That sir is a skill or ability that can make you elite at a particular sport but we are discussing athletics.  

Literally the difference between Jannik Hansen and Mc Jesus both stellar athletes athletically very similar but one is more skilled 

3 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

:picard:

Anyway I still pick the Female Gymnast Simone Biles in terms of fully rounded remarkable athleticism and having the most versatile ability to use her body I have ever seen. 

Hitting a ball isn't athleticism its something else that is quite impressive in its own right but its a different thing. 

7 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

hes missed more than 10 games twice in his career. He literally goes to the finals every year, carries his team and he plays more basektball than anyone 

If this is the best athlete in the world....

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

See, your reply whiffs because it centers around you criticizing curling not being an athletic sport, but then you go on to spin a previous comment of mine to mock that comment, but further use it to mock curling for not being difficult — when you were the only person to bring up that sport in the first place? What a mess. I don't believe I've criticized any sport for not requiring skill. I've only defended baseball and said boxing and soccer is boring to me (maybe I am wrong about the diving). And you're wrong about baseball. I hope this thread dies. 

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Interesting choice. No doubt fatigue physical/mental has to be a serious factor in F1. 

The forces that F1 drivers experience while cornering are tremendous. Not to mention that you have to maintain maximum concentration for an entire 90 minutes or more. There really aren't any dead spots in the action like in most other sports.

It was even crazier back when there was no power steering. I always think back to when Senna won the 1991 Brazilian Grand Prix while stuck in 6th gear for the last seven laps. He had to be helped out of the car because of severe muscle spasms and could barely lift the trophy on the podium. One of the greatest efforts I've ever seen from any athlete.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Think you got to remove the sport and just look how an athlete trains.  With that I'd pick a boxer or MMA fighter over any team sport athlete.

I think rowing has to be up there for most physically challenging team sport. Those guys and gals leave it all out there. 

Archived